Non-Gortex low hiker

Mossy

WKR
Non-Gortex low-mid hiker

I'm trying to find something I can take on quick scouting trips, hikes and as a everyday "shoe". Went to rei and out of their wall of shoes, only 4 pair were gortex free. I'm currently wearing a pair of keen but my feet get hot within a couple of minutes just standing in the house.
So, any recommendations on a low height hiking shoe that has good wet traction, breathable, generous toe box and hopefully not made in China?
Or has anyone found a waterproof shoe that actually breathes?

Last edited:
Altra. These are definitely made in China, but they are all the things you are describing. One of the most generous toe box shoes you'll find.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I found some Merrell's on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse that I've loved so far. I've worn them irrigating my pasture, and haven't gotten wet feet yet. They aren't the Moabs...I honestly can't remember the model. But I think they were like $60. Super comfortable, no Goretex, and seem to be reasonably waterproof.

This summer I have been hiking and wearing the Vasque Men's Monolith Boots. I got them off of Moosejaw. They were cheaper there than REI. I did try them on at REI to get the right fit though. They were relatively inexpensive and pretty light (1 pound 1 ounce). They are advertised as waterproof, but these pair have not been. I like the fit and I scouted all summer in them and wouldn't hesitate to use them for a Pronghorn archery hunt.

I have pretty wide feet so like toe boxes to be roomy. I have heard good things about Altra but can't find a local shop to try them out. More of a minimalist shoe but very popular among the fast packing crowd.

I am a long time fan of merrell Moab's. The ventilators are non goretex and can be had in wide. About $60-70. A great shoe for fast and light hiking. Not very stiff for heavy loads. I tend to wear them for casual street shoes and short woods walks, up to and including light, short overnight hikes. I am probably on my 4th pair in 6-7 years.

• Banned
OP
M

Mossy

WKR
This summer I have been hiking and wearing the Vasque Men's Monolith Boots. I got them off of Moosejaw. They were cheaper there than REI. I did try them on at REI to get the right fit though. They were relatively inexpensive and pretty light (1 pound 1 ounce). They are advertised as waterproof, but these pair have not been. I like the fit and I scouted all summer in them and wouldn't hesitate to use them for a Pronghorn archery hunt.

Thanks, I did try on the vasque mantra 2.0 at sportsmans and it felt good. It's the whole China thing....maybe it's unavoidable

I'll look into the others, thanks!

RoJo

WKR
I have been wearing Merrell Reflex Low Hikers for years now, I think I am starting on my 4th pair now. They just fit so well, I have been using them for almost everything. I have done a couple of r2r Grand Canyon hikes in them with zero issues. I dread the day they are discontinued...actually they may already be, I do not see them listed on the Merrell site. I have no idea where they are made, probably China sad to say.

• Banned
OP
M

Mossy

WKR
I tried on some vasques today and they are too tight in the toe box; not as bad as asolo though.
I'm leaning toward some mid height hikers and was curious if anyone has experience with the Salomon X ultra mid aero? I've read they feel a little tight in the toe box but the material quickly stretches to fit.

tttoadman

WKR
I am a long time fan of merrell Moab's. The ventilators are non goretex and can be had in wide. About $60-70. A great shoe for fast and light hiking. Not very stiff for heavy loads. I tend to wear them for casual street shoes and short woods walks, up to and including light, short overnight hikes. I am probably on my 4th pair in 6-7 years.
This is where I am also. The only shoes I buy.

Gorp2007

WKR
I'm not sure where they're manufactured, but I love my Salewa approach shoes. They come in gore-tex or unlined and I've put up to 18 miles a day on mine doing day hikes.