Review: La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX

JDZ

WKR
I'm curious on the pros and cons of the Trango Cube vs the Trango Tower. The Tower is also full synthetic with the same outsole, I think, but has a different lacing system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeadnWest

WKR
Wondering if anyone could compare the Trango Cubes to the Lowa Irox? How was the fit of both? How would you compare the ankle support? How would you compare the stiffness? Thanks for any information you can share.

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious on the pros and cons of the Trango Cube vs the Trango Tower. The Tower is also full synthetic with the same outsole, I think, but has a different lacing system

I can't compare the two, but in response to the lacing system thing I freaking love the lacing system on my Cubes. Locks your heel in and that lower tab doesn't let the shoe string slip at all.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
After my first 15 day trip into the Alaska sheep mountains, the soft climbing zone had worn off of both boots and cloth material was sticking out the front underside of the boot. La sportiva customer service was flakey.and said I used them for the wrong application...until I pointed out that their website specifically advertised this boot for that purpose. These boots just don't hold up well to rocks and mountains.

I had a similar experience.

Used the boots for two weeks in Arizona, and the toe had worn through nearly into the sole. The upper and rand looked 100%, but the sole was getting torn up quickly. I weigh only 150lbs, and had a ~30lb pack for my trip, walking 3-7 miles a day. Keep in mind, the terrain was rocky/volcanic, but these boots ARE designed for mountaineering...

After contacting Backcountry, they allowed me to send them back - which I am thankful for, as they probably only had a few weeks left of life in them before the sole wore through the footbed. They were a pleasure to deal with. I doubt many retailers would provide a full refund in these cases. Their good customer service will be kept in mind for future orders.

These shoes were really quite comfortable, lightweight, and supportive, giving me no foot problems. I would only recommend them if you pick them up for a good deal, and are fine with a disposable yet tacky sole. The fit is narrow which worked well for me, and I ordered a half size larger than my typical shoe.

If you had an epic sheep hunt planned, and money is no object, I could see these fitting the bill. If you prioritize quality, longevity, and durability, look elsewhere. I just sent in my foot tracings for a pair of White's Dri Foot Outdoorsman. They are probably on the opposite end of the boot spectrum from these, but should last me years and have the ability to re-sole.

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I tried on a pair of the Trango TRXs today at REI and loved the fit. I previously wore the Asolo Drifters and they feel much stiffer than the Trangos.

The Asolos worked great for me 3 years ago but my foot must have gotten larger because now my toes are crushed in the toe box of the Drifters.

I hunt out west every few years. Would you have any hesitation with the durability of the Trangos compared to the Asolo Drifters.

Does anyone gave experience with both ( or one ) and can offer their insight? I would hate to get a boot that wears down easy and leaks water.

Thanks

JDZ

WKR
I freaking love the lacing system on my Cubes. Locks your heel in and that lower tab doesn't let the shoe string slip at all.

Can Jordan or anybody elaborate on how they're lacing the Cube?

The fabric loop being above the locking speed hook is throwing me for a loop. Not only does it seem like a pain in the ass, if I get it tight enough to lock my heel, it is too tight on the front of my ankle.

Sorry for being so helpless I can't figure out how to lace my shoes.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can Jordan or anybody elaborate on how they're lacing the Cube?

The fabric loop being above the locking speed hook is throwing me for a loop. Not only does it seem like a pain in the ass, if I get it tight enough to lock my heel, it is too tight on the front of my ankle.

Sorry for being so helpless I can't figure out how to lace my shoes.

I just get the laces around my foot tight, lock in the lace then snug the top up. If it’s super tight in front of your ankle I’d loosen then a little then let them break in for the first little ways, then tighten them again. I’m telling you though.. they have the best lacing system.

JDZ

WKR
I just get the laces around my foot tight, lock in the lace then snug the top up. If it’s super tight in front of your ankle I’d loosen then a little then let them break in for the first little ways, then tighten them again. I’m telling you though.. they have the best lacing system.

Thanks. So you are just lacing it straight up? No surgeon knot? No fancy loop under or top down crap? I'm guessing you've got the laces above the lock tighter than below.

I notice other mountaineering boots have similar lacing systems, so I do believe there's something to it.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. So you are just lacing it straight up? No surgeon knot? No fancy loop under or top down crap? I'm guessing you've got the laces above the lock tighter than below.

I notice other mountaineering boots have similar lacing systems, so I do believe there's something to it.

I have the locks below tighter than above.. the above doesn’t have to be so tight. No fancy knot or anything.. just locked into the lacing locks.

Last edited:

JDZ

WKR
Thanks Jordan. I'm still in the fence. Trying to play with different socks and changing the location of the inner tongue.