Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and Hardscrabbles

Johnboy

WKR
I've applied the Kenetrek waterproofing boot wax a few times (can't remember if I purchased it or if it came with the boots), but I certainly haven't been diligent enough with it. In 5 years, I've applied it about 4 or 5 times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't think you can overdo it, but I would recommend at least once before the season, and once after the season before storing them. Not sure what caused your boots to leak, and from the pictures, they certainly are leaking. Good luck in your quest for a better pair of boots. Let me know if you find them. I am quite happy with my Kenetreks for now.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I bought the 11.5 after wearing it in the store for a while. I'll wear them in the house for a few days to make sure they agree with my right foot. They do have significant arch support that may be a little more than I want, but should be easy to correct with a little softer insole. If they dont hurt that right foot I'll bite the bullet and start wearing them out. Bird hunting should be a good way to ease into break in.

Johnboy

WKR
Just wanted to give an update here. I sent my boots back to Kenetrek for repair, intending to pay for it, since my boots are now 5 years old. I received an email yesterday informing me, due to the dry rot on the outsoles, they're sending me brand new boots. Consider me one happy customer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

zhunter

FNG
Hobbes, The kenetrek will off more ankle support than your danners as I wear both. Danners for work and Kenetrek in the woods. Kenetrek run small for me so I would go half size larger, I am not sold on Kenetrek for me for fit but they are a solid boot for sure, One thing I noticed is do not expect a mountain boot to feel like wearing tennis shoes, if you are hunting flat land save your money and buy a standard more flexible sole boot, but if you are hauling a pack and want some protection for not rolling an ankle Kenetrek makes a good boot.

"johnboy" your boots look like they were left on the runway of Skyharbor Airport for a year baking in the sun. I have put plenty of miles on my kenetreks and aside from some tears in the rubber and wear on the soles the leather looks good as new except for being Darker from properly treating them with some Kenetrek wax. Seriously! those are some neglected boots!

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Hobbes, The kenetrek will off more ankle support than your danners as I wear both. Danners for work and Kenetrek in the woods. Kenetrek run small for me so I would go half size larger, I am not sold on Kenetrek for me for fit but they are a solid boot for sure, One thing I noticed is do not expect a mountain boot to feel like wearing tennis shoes, if you are hunting flat land save your money and buy a standard more flexible sole boot, but if you are hauling a pack and want some protection for not rolling an ankle Kenetrek makes a good boot.

Thanks for the info. I was aware that they wouldn't feel like tennis shoes and instead even much much stiffer than my previous hunting boots. My feet and ankles taking a beating this year in steep snow covered slopes is why I was looking at Kennetreks instead of another pair of Danners or something similar. However, my specific foot issue has limited what I can wear and I've intentionally stuck with a soft boot previously.

I bought the UI 11.5 Mountain Extremes a week or so ago. I've had some fairly easy hunts the last few days with my son, a deer hunt in some foothills and riverbottoms and then the weekend rifle hunting elk. These hunts have been the start of breaking them in. The elk hunt turned into a little steeper climbing and hiking more than I had anticipated and I was concerned about blisters but the boots performed well and I did not experience any problems. They have very good traction, my feet stayed dry, and I experienced no pain or blisters. The gaitors that came with them was a nice bonus and performed well also.

Assuming you have good boot fit, a lot of heel blistered can be helped by lacing technique. If you don’t use some sort of lace locking technique then the boot laces will shift after a few hundred yards and loosen on top of you foot near the ankle And that will cause your heel to move in the foot bed and rub on the back of the boot. Lock lacing will also keep toes from cramming into the toe box on down hill.

How to Prevent Heel Lift in Mountaineering Boots - Section Hikers Backpacking Blog

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Thanks for the link. I currently use a lacing technique that appears to work, but will review the video to see their method.