Favorite Lowa Boots? Need Input

KHNC

WKR
i am about to purchase the Camino GTX myself. All of my research shows that this boot fits the bill for sept-oct hunts in the mountains and rocks. Along with packing out 50lbs or more with ease. I have been using the Salomon Ultra 4D GTX last 3 years. They are comfy , but are NOT WATERPROOF despite the lies to the contrary by the company. LOWA seems to have everything covered.

Picked up a pair of Lowa Innox non goretex for summer scouting and have been very happy with the fit and comfort.

Ordered a pair of Arco GTX to replace my Scarpa's and was disappointed. For $235 they seemed like low end quality and not comfortable at all.

aron

WKR
I really like the Lowa Renegades. Haven't abused them completely yet so can't comment on the durability. I would like to try the Tibet GTX for a more durable boot.

LaHunter

WKR
Tibets GTX for aggressive / steep / rocky terrain. Mid to Late October. These boots are great and fit my feet perfectly.

Rangers for heavy pack training hikes. Enough sole flex so I don't get heel blisters when they get full of sweat during my hikes.

Caminos are very good boots for moderate loads. Very sturdy with a fairly stiff sole. I view these boots as super duty hikers or moderate duty back packing boots. Only issue I had with these is the heel fit is not quite as good as the Tibets so when I tried them for training hikes and they were full of sweat, I developed some blisters.

gbflyer

WKR
Innox GTX here. I live where we get 90" of rainfall annually so I know something about wet feet. So far these things are great. Only observation (not a complaint) is that they are very warm for an uninsulated boot.

Exactly why I run this boot. All the quality components of a Tibet, almost as stiff but MUCH lighter. Going on 2 years in mine hiking every day. I'm in the east so now "mountains" per se but they've been great for me.

I'm the opposite I don't think it's any where close to as stiff as the Tibet. The Camino to me is a very flexible boot, I'd call it a HD material build of the renegade. Now the ticam II that's closers to the Tibet but not as stiff as cevedale

I have been using the Lowa Tibet GTX since 14. They are stiff and can go up a mountain a bit too easily, sometimes get myself up places I can't easily descend. I ran them with some KUIU gaiters this season and did many days trekking in ankle to knee deep snow and my feet managed to stay warm throughout. I do run mine with some SuperFeet inserts which makes them much more comfortable.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I own a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX and Renegades. I love both of these boots but they cannot keep my feet dry in wet grass. At least not with Nikwax. Other than the wet grass issue I think the renegade is the perfect hunting boot. For me, the weight of the Tibet is difficult to manage after several days of putting serious miles down in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About to try out some Renegades in Utah next week. I will review after the hunt. Got my older Meindl's for back up.

willidru

WKR
I have a pair of the Camino GTX used last year 3rd season in Colorado (unseasonably warm) and this year for California B zone deer and bear 2 weeks ago. They have been good boots fairly stiff compared to what I've used in the past. Colorado I hunt out of a base camp and my hunts this year only had on a 40# pack did 19 miles in 3 days. I did notice a few hot spots on my feet, but no blistering. Thinking about swapping out the insoles.

HeadnWest

WKR
I've worn a pair of Meindl Hunters the last 3 years and I am very pleased with them. Love the fit of the boot, wide toe box, but would like a little more ankle support. With lots of boulder crossing and side hilling this past year, my ankles seemed really fatigued and sore at the end of each day.

Here is what I would like in a elk hunting boot:
Under 4lbs. - we put a lot of miles on each day
Full rand - at times we are in some pretty tough, rocky area
Must be waterproof! - very wet wear I hunt, lot of springs, marshes, small creeks.
Good Ankle support - lots of rocky areas and boulder field crossings
Good lacing system - moving all day, expect a boot to stay in place all day.
Under $400 - can't justify paying outrageous price for boots I will only be wearing 8 days out of the year.

That being said I have the following boots on my watch list so far:
Lowa Tibet GTX
Lowa Cevedale GTX
Scarpa Revolution Plus GTX
Scarpa Revolution Trek GTX
Meindl Denali

Last edited:
OP
Brad@Argali

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Appreciate all of your responses. Helps a lot in figuring out what models folks are using. For all of you that responded, if any of you need a pair of boots, use code "Lowa15" now through Friday for 15% off any boots you want.

GotDraw?

WKR
I second Lowa Camino GTX.

I own Tibets and Caminos. Caminos are hands-down my go-to for any steep country archery season use. To me, the only plus Tibets have over Caminos is that they are a bit warmer. Either boot benefits from an aftermarket insole. This allows the footbed to better fit the arch so your foot won't slide forward in the boot when going down hill, thus avoiding the dreaded toe jam. Good footbeds also allow the wearer to back off a half smidge on lacing tension and that's a plus (to me).

Caminos have more eyelets below the heel lock so you can better tension the lower boot. The sense of feel they give in rock is far superior to Tibets when the rock is somewhat technical and requires that you climb up or down. Also, I like the way the boot edges/side-hills because it seems to give me a better sense of exactly where the edge of sole is and how well it is hooked onto rock when climbing/descending. Tibets side hill well, but are a bit clunky. Caminos broke in after two good hikes.

Tibets have few eyelets below the heel lock and a huge toe box w/o eyelets, so it's more difficult to get tension dialed in close to the toes. Tibet have a superior heel lock cam-clamp eyelet for the boot laces, they are similar to sailboat rigging line cam clamps. Awesome and wish Caminos had the same locking eyelt. Tibet are pretty heavy and are a bit warmer. Tibets take a lot of miles to break in, mine took at least 30

PM me w/specific questions

I love my Lowa Camino GTX, lighter than the Tibet, but still stiff soled enough to pack loads out.

About to try out some Renegades in Utah next week. I will review after the hunt. Got my older Meindl's for back up.
Well, the Renegades did not pass the test. After the first day of scouting in rocky terrain my feet hurt. Switched to the 4 year old Meindls with new Meindl insoles for the rest of the trip (7 days). I helped pack out five Elk and my feet felt fine. Still waterproof. Not knocking the Lowa brand but the Renegades didn't get it done for me.

I'm at 2.5 years in my Rangers. They are a great boot and I have beat the crap out of them in the roughest desert mountains. I find they are a good compromise between weight and rigidity. I also like the full rubber rand to take the brunt of the sharp rocks. I'm keeping my eye out for a deal on another pair so I can slowly work them into the rotation.

I got a steal on the Renegades off of Ebay, but have quickly determined they are good boot for wearing out on the town, but not on the mountain.

wapitibob

WKR
Renegades are a light weight flexible hiker, just a tad bit "more" than a Merrell Moab. Not a real "boot" used in broken rocky ground in my opinion.

I currently use tibet GTX's and am looking at the Camino or Irox. I've tried the camino's and really like the fit, but the Irox is quit a bit lighter. The camino is only 4 or 5 ounces lighter than the tibets but definitely less balky. Are the Irox less stiff than the Camino's?

OP
Brad@Argali

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, for sure. The Irox still has a fair bit of support and stiffness, but it is less stiff than the camino. It's a lightweight boot, but it isn't like wearing a running shoe. If you are looking for something even lighter, the Innox is the next step down in terms of stiffness, and it is more like a running shoe.