Solomon Quest 4d and waterproofing

Steelhead

FNG
First season using Solomon Quest 4d's, loved 'em. My first pair of real/better quality boots. (deer, no elk...yet) Ended up hiking through snow and rain for a couple days and they leaked. Feet stayed warm so I hardly noticed most of the time. All dried and clean now but I'm heading back up to the mountains again soon and looking to put some sort of waterproofing on them. Any suggestions? Nikwax OK in a pinch? No idea how to treat goretex/combo boots.

Thanks!
-Glen

Send them back. Contact Salomon. They will take them back and send you a new pair. I've had 4 pairs over the last 6 years. The first pair I had leaked and had to do the same thing. None of my other pairs leaked until recently when archery hunting last week when we got dumped on with 30+ inches of snow and pouring rain during my hunt. I consequently went boot shopping and picked up the new Under Armour Bozeman 2.0 and can't say enough good about them. That's tough for me to say because the Quest's have been my favorite go-to boot for many years. Your going to hate life in wet conditions with the Quest. The soles are terribly slippery. It's my only complaint of the boot. Check out my review on the Bozeman's.

When you get your new pair pick up some Nik wax. They have two types. A spray and a rub on liquid. I'd get both. The rub on works great for the nubuck leather and the spray works great for the other materials.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
you wont get the 4d waterproof. I spent 6 days in the some of that same snow in idaho two weeks ago. sucks. im calling salomon now to see if they will do anything.

Same Idaho Solomon story for me as well. I got home and sprayed them with two cans of 3M and ordered a pair of crispi Nevada a leather boot. Problem solved.

I was in the same Idaho snow for 6 days straight and my 4D's stayed perfectly dry - although I did wear gaiters the entire time. My 2 hunting partners without gaiters both had very wet boots, but I think most of the moisture was wet pants wicking down to socks and eventually inside the boots. Gaiters mitigates this a great deal.

I wear gators and my feet stayed dry even in shallow steam crossings
I sprayed my boots 2 different times with crispi spray
But I understand they will one day leak
I also have crispi summits and they are used for specific seasons
Much of my gear is structured for a certain purpose and not a do all purpose
You can't beat Solomon for all around comfort, but I personally believe they have their limits

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
You will never waterproof the nylon mesh panels, on any boot, unless you completely seal them. So, any waterproofing measures short of that are a waste of time and are nothing but a feel good measure. Water will go thru the panel, soaking the outer bootie, and when the goretex tears, which it will, the boot will leak.

If that's the hiker you want, buy them at REI and replace them under the REI warranty once or twice per year when they leak.

sveltri

WKR
I'm surprised tohear of so many leaky boot failures. In the last three years I've had Cabela's, Soloman, and Crispi boots all with Gore-Tex liners. Aside from the occasional plunge over the top of the boot I have been extremely happy and have yet to had any water infiltration. Sorry to hear about everyon else's dealings.

ljalberta

WKR
Used the same boots last couple years. Might send mine back as well. I've treated with the rub on Nik Wax numerous times, but found it not very effective.

I was in the same Idaho snow for 6 days straight and my 4D's stayed perfectly dry - although I did wear gaiters the entire time. My 2 hunting partners without gaiters both had very wet boots, but I think most of the moisture was wet pants wicking down to socks and eventually inside the boots. Gaiters mitigates this a great deal.

I wore first lite gaiters as well and the moisture wicked up through the toe and tongue. Great comfy boot but mine are three years now and have failed. So heads up to all.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I have 3 pairs of 4D GTX boots . They are by far my most comfortable boots. I don't wear them when it's wet, I believe it's a lost cause to hope them waterproof :/

OP
S

Steelhead

FNG
THANKS EVERYONE! good to know I'm not alone. I'll contact Solomon and at least see if I can start with a fresh pair and nickwax the heck out of 'em. But in the end probably reserve them for dryer use, or at least dry snow use.
FWIW I was using gaiters (kenetrek) and that did help, but as someone posted, the toe and tongue eventually succumbed. I did go from soppy wet on up 1k feet to dumping snow, so they were definitely put to the test. Went out again yesterday to pack out camp, sunny skies but tromping through 10" of left over snow all day got them threatening to start leaking but in the end they did OK. I freaking hate spending yet more money on truly waterpoof boots, especially since I love how the 4D's fit, which is rare for my foot.
FWIW part 2, my hunting pard had some spendy Kenetrek boots that also leaked in the end. Anyhoo, thanks for all the feedback folks, I've got some thinking to do now...

chuckles

Lil-Rokslider
be careful with gore tex warranty, i sent my 4D back and they say my pinky toenail punctured a hole in the lining, so they will not cover their warranty. pretty pissed, considering i boots for the goretex warranty.

Dameon

WKR
I'm going on two seasons with mine. Last year, I was leading a boy scout summer camp where it downpoured all week and flooded the camp. My camp site was on the other side of an overflowing creek. My Quest's held up great. Things I did find lacking on the Quests was the grip on wet rocks and mud. I hunted in Utah last year and things were pretty dry aside from an overnight hail storm and the boots did very well. I expect dry conditions hunting elk in New Mexico next season, and lets face it, hunting whitetails here in Missouri is no where near the physical challenge of hunting elk out west. But if I were hunting someplace where it was wet, slick, or snowy, I think I would invest in a better boot for the conditions first. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Quests, but they are not a all-weather/all-conditions kind of boot.

golfbum

WKR
Have been super happy with mine, but they are only a few months old. Feet have stayed dry and they are super comfortable for day hunts!