Can you glue a rand?

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my Lowa Tibets for 2 seasons now and they have been awesome so far. I've kept them clean and treated them with Kenetrek Boot Wax but I just noticed that the rand is ever so slightly starting to come apart from the leather near the toe. Probably from getting it snagged on rocks and deadfall this elk season. I'm just wondering if there is something I can use to run a bead around the rand to prevent any further separation. I was thinking Shoe Goo, E6000, or maybe some 3M 5200 marine adhesive. Does anyone have any other suggestions or any experience with these other 3 products? Also, how would you clean the leather so that any adhesive would stick to it after being treated with the boot wax?

Gorp2007

WKR
I've used Freesole in the past with good results. (Amazon.com: McNett Gear Aid Freesole Shoe Repair) I believe that's also what Kenetrek recommends. Instructions come with the material, but I just cleaned the area and used rubbing alcohol to get any oils off of the area I was patching. Tape off the area to avoid gluing your entire boot, let the alcohol dry, and then apply.

Brado16

WKR
I am having the same issue with a pair of Kenetreks- I called their CS yesterday and they sell a product called Freesole that they recommend I use for the repair. The woman in the CS Department was very helpful and explained the simple repair process using the Freesole. Once I got home last night I googled "freesole" and found this thread that might be helpful for you:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/footwear/70405-repairing-rubber-rand-kenetreks.html

duchntr

WKR
Ive used 5200 in the past and that stuff is very durable but the problem is getting solid adhesion I've also used free sole on synthetic boots and usually have good results with it. As far as application goes, get the area really clean with dish soap and warm water then use some rough grit like 80 followed with some light acetone cleaning lastly getting the surface warm helps with adhesion I believe. It might be worth giving a boot shop/cobbler a call and see what they say also.

Also alittle off topic, but all new boots and shoes I get I immediately put a bead of free sole around all the seams and rands, looks ugly I guess but extends the boot life I feel.

Logan T

WKR
Freesole. Like duchntr said, whenever I or my hunting buddies get a new pair of boots Freesole gets put on the rand before they ever get used. It just prevents the rand from ever coming off in the first place.

Same problem with mine. Less than 20 days in the field and the rand is destroyed. Mine are going back to REI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took my tibets back to REI but before I did I looked closer at them and noticed the full rand isn't glued. Only the top thus when part fails and you are in the field it spreads quickly. Dumb manufacturing if you ask me. The pair I had from 2004 to 2012 weren't like that. No rand separation issues. Now in back to back seasons two pairs failed. Next year will be a different brand. Heck my salomon quests are holding up better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk