Crispi Dakota GTX (low) durability; and other boots I've owned. Salomon, Asolo,Meindl

tito_zako

FNG
Hi all, with no intention whatsoever to bash on any brand, but just to provide a user's review of a boot I purchased with my own cash.

Talking about the Crispi Dakota GTX.

First of all, I'd like to add here a size comparison for those coming from other boots, I'll make a list of equivalent sizes.
Crispi Dakota 11 Wide, Crispi Valdres 11 wide, Asolo Powermatic 10.5, Cabelas Western guide 11, Cabelas denali 10.5 wide, Crispi Wyoming 11, Salomon Quest 4d GTX 11

All of those boots above I have owned for some length of time, and they are all comparable in fit, for my feet. I include comments on each of these boots towards the bottom.

Back to the Dakota's.... durability of these is sub-par, to say the least. After ~70 miles on trails, the tip of the sole had started to separate from the leather rand at the tip, the stitching of the leather rand had frayed badly all around and even cut in some places, and some of the stitching on the collar was starting to become undone too. For that kind of mileage and a ~300 dollar boot, it's unacceptable. 70 miles is just barely 7 days of use....

One thing that is a gripe of mine, and I consider a fundamental flaw in the design, is that fabric eyelet on the collar... seriously? How long is that going to last? And it's mighty inconvenient at the time of lacing boots. A 300 dollar boot should have a metal hook there. They cannot save more than 2 bucks by cutting corners in that place, and it compromises durability and usability.

To crispis' credit, I was able to send my boots back for a refund. I had purchased these boots straight from them.

a little PSA here: to all those 'influencers', you are doing a major disservice to outdoors-men that spend their hard earned cash on products like these.
By 'influencers' i'm referring to those who receive a new pair of boots for free every season in exchange for an unfair review where they tout the goodness of such product. Idiots like me read those reviews and purchase said products only to find out you are a lot of money out for a product that doesn't perform, and you won't get a free pair next year to replace the one that broke down in little to no time.

I'm attaching pictures of the issues mentioned, and again, with the only intention to provide useful information to anyone considering buying these boots.

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

In closing, I'd like to mention that the the sole of the boots after 70 miles had significant sign of wear and cracks in several places. I didn't take pictures of this, since I thought in comparison to the other issues, namely, the boots coming apart after little use, the wearing of the sole was not as bad... the boots would come undone before the sole wore out.

Crispi Valdres 11 wide. Cheaply made. little to no support around the ankle. super comfortable light-weight boot.

Asolo Powermatic 100 10.5. Bought these things from STP for 80 dollars. I have had them for two years, and piled up hundreds of miles on them in all kinds of terrain. They are a little on the heavier side. Good ankle support. Gore-tex membrane has lost function and I do get some water pass through if the boots are used in wet terrain/snow for a while. Sole is wearing out, upper is in great shape. No separation of rubber/leather whatsoever. I wished I had bought another pair of these back when I bought the first pair. Not the best for side-hilling, the tread is not aggressive enough. Even so, I might end up re-soling these boots, they have served me well and I think the upper would stand a few more hundred miles.

Cabelas Western guide 11. these things are super burly, and super stiff. They are uninsulated, but otherwise I'd think of them more of a mountaineering boot. they accept crampons.

Cabelas denali 10.5 wide, These things are the bomb. super well made, really good quality. a little more flex than the western guide. The collar was mighty uncomfortable, it had a really painful pressure spot that made it unbearable to walk in them. I wanted to keep these things like heck, but unfortunately weren't right fit for me.

Crispi Wyoming 11. I had this for a short time and sent them back. the fore front of the toebox was way low and the top of my toes would rub against it.

Salomon quest 4d gtw 11. This things are GARBAGE. I utterly destroyed a pair in 30 miles while doing the grand sawtooth loop. seams broke, sole became unglued from the shoe, it was just a bloody mess falling apart. Little support for carrying heavy weights. I'd regard this more of a trail running boot/fast-light hiker with a light backpack on the yellow-brick road. They require no break-in time. they will not stand up to severe punishment. nay, neither mild punishment. this might be more related to my own build and feet, but they hurt my Achilles tendons really bad, to the point where I couldn't walk. I was on a 60 mile backpacking loop, and it was really hard to finish it and hike myself out since these boots destroyed my feet. luckily here again, salomon took them back for a refund, but they did give me a lot of trouble. Bad CS.

Thanks for the honest review! It's tough to be an everyday consumer weeding through boot reviews to find a place to drop $300 or more.

I will say that some of the "influencers" youtalk about do give an honest review. They just simply have a better experience with what they are reviewing. You may have potentially received a bad pair, but that is a hard thing to prove. I would say that, while there are some that give unfair and biased reviews, there are a lot of folks that are honest and straightforward about their experiences. This is what rokslide is all about.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have to ask.......how does one become an "influencer" to get a free pair of boots every year?

I picked up a pair of Zamberlan Dakota 7" boots in 2013 on clearance for $86 (normally $300) and have been VERY well pleased with them, even if I had paid full price for them. I conservatively have ~750 miles on them through 5 elk seasons and some summer use. They discontinued the Dakota's so I'll be disappointed when these finally break down on me.

I think companies get rid of products that far exceed expectations because they lose money in the long run. Make a product that has a much lower service life and they'll sell more of those. It's not just boots. Whatever happened to the 80k mile truck tires we used to be able to get? I'm lucky if I get 40k now on my F-350. It's part of what's wrong with America today.......we make junk that is supposed to be replaced frequently, instead of high quality products that last a long time.

But it's the story of my life.......I find a product that I really like, and it quickly gets discontinued.

KHNC

WKR
i have used the Salomon 4D GTX the last 3 years. Probably 150 miles per season. Not a much as some , but more than others. I have packed out 3 elk and 3 deer a considerable distance. They have not came apart at the seams at any point, even after a rough snowy trip to idaho this year in very rocky sidehill terrain. They are very slick soled tho! AND , the waterproofing is pure shit. Wont last even part of one season. Extremely comfortable with no break-in time for me. I read a ton of reviews, talked to friends , and tried on boots in the last 10 days. Settled on LOWA Camino GTX boots for serious hunting. I also bought a pair of LOWA Renegade GTX mids as well. Plan to use these for trail running and Train To Hunt comps next year. Hoping i made the right choice with LOWA. I looked at Crispi,but i didnt find as much good info on them as LOWA.

OP
T

tito_zako

FNG
Thanks, Gerard. I wasn't considering the 'influencers' on rokslide, more the pro hunters on social media kind of thing.... instagram, youtube, that kind of stuff.
It's true, I might have received a bad pair... but, who knows? for 300 bucks, I won't try again!

Rokslide rocks, I really appreciate this site and the people here have been super helpful!

OP
T

tito_zako

FNG
I have to ask.......how does one become an "influencer" to get a free pair of boots every year?

I picked up a pair of Zamberlan Dakota 7" boots in 2013 on clearance for $86 (normally $300) and have been VERY well pleased with them, even if I had paid full price for them. I conservatively have ~750 miles on them through 5 elk seasons and some summer use. They discontinued the Dakota's so I'll be disappointed when these finally break down on me.

I think companies get rid of products that far exceed expectations because they lose money in the long run. Make a product that has a much lower service life and they'll sell more of those. It's not just boots. Whatever happened to the 80k mile truck tires we used to be able to get? I'm lucky if I get 40k now on my F-350. It's part of what's wrong with America today.......we make junk that is supposed to be replaced frequently, instead of high quality products that last a long time.

But it's the story of my life.......I find a product that I really like, and it quickly gets discontinued.

man... idk. I guess you need to get a lot of followers on social media platforms!
but I agree, stuff is not built to last these days, and it's priced as though it was!

OP
T

tito_zako

FNG
i have used the Salomon 4D GTX the last 3 years. Probably 150 miles per season. Not a much as some , but more than others. I have packed out 3 elk and 3 deer a considerable distance. They have not came apart at the seams at any point, even after a rough snowy trip to idaho this year in very rocky sidehill terrain. They are very slick soled tho! AND , the waterproofing is pure shit. Wont last even part of one season. Extremely comfortable with no break-in time for me. I read a ton of reviews, talked to friends , and tried on boots in the last 10 days. Settled on LOWA Camino GTX boots for serious hunting. I also bought a pair of LOWA Renegade GTX mids as well. Plan to use these for trail running and Train To Hunt comps next year. Hoping i made the right choice with LOWA. I looked at Crispi,but i didnt find as much good info on them as LOWA.

that's awesome, good for you! thanks for adding your remarks and balancing my negative experience. I too had read lot's of awesome things about those boots. but I had the same issue with TWO pairs. One I bought from REI and they came unglued in no time, and I returned them. The second pair I got straight from Salomon. Maybe the quality dropped recently, this happened to me last year.

Thanks, Gerard. I wasn't considering the 'influencers' on rokslide, more the pro hunters on social media kind of thing.... instagram, youtube, that kind of stuff.
It's true, I might have received a bad pair... but, who knows? for 300 bucks, I won't try again!

Rokslide rocks, I really appreciate this site and the people here have been super helpful!

I agree. A $300 experiment may not be tough for those that are well off, but for the average joe it is just stupid. I will be giving the Lowe tibets a shot since there is an REI somewhat close. I would prefer to try on a pair of boots before dropping $300.

KHNC

WKR

I looked at zamberlan as well. This was after researching several other brands. They have great reviews as well. I just had already decided on LOWA by then. Hope your elk hunt was a success in NM!

HeadnWest

WKR
Thanks for the honest review. The Dakota and Denali were two boots on the top of my list. So it is good to hear a comparison. Can you speak to the ankle support that the Denali offered? I have a older pair of Meindls, the hunters I believe, and really like the boots with the exception that I would like some more ankle support. This past year, I really noticed late in the day my ankles would get sore and almost fatigues from side hilling and walking on rocks/boulders.

OP
T

tito_zako

FNG
Thanks for the honest review. The Dakota and Denali were two boots on the top of my list. So it is good to hear a comparison. Can you speak to the ankle support that the Denali offered? I have a older pair of Meindls, the hunters I believe, and really like the boots with the exception that I would like some more ankle support. This past year, I really noticed late in the day my ankles would get sore and almost fatigues from side hilling and walking on rocks/boulders.

Hi there! the denali is a bit taller than the dakota. It offers pretty good support, I'd say more than the Dakota for sure. In my opinion, the dakota's are not incredibly supportive at the ankles. Besides the differences in collar height, that do help, the denali is also a bit stiffer and that also helps prevent side-ways torsion. you should test the denalis, and make sure they are comfortable for your feet, though. For me, after an hour of wearing them I'd start feeling a pressure point on my feet where the tongue bends underneath the collar, and it got pretty painful. they do have good reviews and a lot of people seem to love them, so I'm guessing it wasn't a good fit for me.

Benjblt

WKR
"Hi all, with no intention whatsoever to bash on any brand, but just to provide a user's review of a boot I purchased with my own cash.

the tip of the sole had started to separate from the leather rand at the tip"

I've had the same problem as well.