Waterproofing Nubuck leather

I have 2 pairs of Zamberlan boots, 996 and 997 Trek tops. They are both constructed of rough-out leather, believe it's called Nubuck. I've used Zamberlan waterproofing spray, which is what the website recommends. They seem to start soaking up water soon after I treat them. I switched to Kennetreks boot products this spring, but have had the same problem. My feet don't get wet, but the leather seems to absorb a lot of water. Anyone encountered this and been able to fix it?

I had the same issue past two years. Zamberlan's treatment seems to work for a little while then wears off and your boots are soaked. Mine got soaked and froze up pretty good last year. This year I'm wearing just regular leather boots and taking the weight penalty for the piece of mind.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Seems most the boots I’ve gravitated towards are all nubuck. Meindl, Lowa, Hanwag—all nubuck.

Grangers used to make a liquid G-wax that worked better than anything I had found, but then all the sudden couldn’t find it anymore. So then used nikwax nubuck & suede treatment for a bit, and it works so-so to ok for a single day, but when afield for weeks at a time, it fails miserably. Had a couple trips where boots were wet for days and days of the trip.

Now I typically take and use the nikwax liquid one time, two coats. After it all soaks in and dries, I never use it again. After I wear them a few times, I just go ahead and hit them with a wax product like obernoarfs (sp?). It works great and honestly seems to take it up more than the slick tanned leather does. BUT—it won’t look like nubuck any longer, ever again. Will have the appearance of regular tanned leather, and will wear wonderfully. Does a great job of protecting the leather and prevent8ng it from just getting so soaking wet. Go stand aro7nd in a stream for hours on end, the leather will get wet, even a full day slogging through wetlands, but other than prolonged submerging, does a great job of shedding rain and occasional submersion.

OP
B
Thanks guys, both great suggestions. I have Obenaufs that I use on other boots, but I've heard that it isn't good for rubber rands. I might try it anyway, worst case I have to get new boots if the rands peel.

I just got done using SNO SEAL on my boots. They are Asolos. During archery season they were starting to soak up some water. I did 2 coats and I can poor water on them and it beads off.