Leather boots

After researching and reading several threads on here I am thinking that the synthetic boots are a waste of money. I have had Danner work boots that I wore for seven years, and I am not nice to my boots. I do clean and treat them regularly though. I am giving up on Gore-Tex in boots also. It may last a year but after that it just makes my feet sweat more. For the record it has to be cold or I am just sitting in wet environments before I put rain gear on.

Does anyone have a suggestion for leather, non- Gore-Tex boots. Experience with leather and canvas boots for lighter weight? Thanks.

mlob1one

WKR
My wife told me I had to suggest Spanish boots of Spanish leather...

I have Kennetrek mountain extremes ni, and I really enjoy them. I am also quite hard on my boots and treat them regularly as well. I never had good luck with my Danners lasting more than a season or two growing up.
I have found myself hoping they bust out or break down so I can buy some customs from Lathrop & Sons.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about getting some Nick's boots custom made for my ultra wide feet (6E). I have also considered White's but some folks don't have great things to say about them since they got bought out.

Lathrop & Sons Mountain Hunter is a leather boot and uses eVent rather than goretex. So far I'm liking mine quite a bit. They fit well and feel durable (only have a few days in the mountains on them though).

Finding leather boots without Gore-Tex is going to be a challenge. Lots of leather boots out there, but they all seem to use Gore or some other similar lining. I think Schnee's uses OutDry now

Outdry is best as far as longevity it's harder to wear a hole in it, since it doesn't has seams and it's not a floating bootie for say.

I run my hanwag yukons 99% of the time. Use Grangers DWR spray and thier wax. Used nixwax DWR and Hanwag's wax, works about the same. Works well for few and occasional showers but not snow.

My gronell's are pretty much done. I will be most likely replace with beartooths as my winter boot.

AXEL

WKR
Hanwag Yukons, treated with Obenauf's LP and you treat the leather lining as well.

Lowa also offers some leather lined boots and I think Zamberlan's might.

Most of the top makers do make them but North American's are brainwashed about GT and so the low sales volume tends to prevent the NA branches of these makers from importing any. I find them and have several pairs as I WILL NOT wear GT boots and only wear leather lined in the bush.

ckleeves

WKR
I pretty much Hanwag Yukons and Lowa Trekkers for everything. If I'm going to be in wet snow I will sometimes wear GTX boots. That's about the only time. And I'm still not sure if I wouldn't stay just as dry in properly treated leather lined boots. For those times when you can't help but get wet feet no matter what boot your wearing I'll take putting on wet leather boots any day over wet GTX boots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
I run Lowa Trekkers. I put Orange Super feet in them. The only complaint I have is that the thin leather lining at the heal wore through in <50miles. Hasn't been enough of a problem for me to contact Lowa about but I felt like they shouldn't have done that (or so early) probably have ~300miles on them maybe more. I treat them with Obernauf's.. had them out in the sleet last Sunday and my feet froze. I typically wear a super thing Smartwool Merino sock.

Next day I wore Hoffman' Pacs. Was thinking a boot with GORE (or equivalent) and some Thinsulate would have been nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Thanks for the input. The more I look and think about things, I may try some over boots for really wet weather. My gf dad swears by NEOS over boots while ice fishing. They have a synthetic liner, but I think leather boots could breath enough. I'm not sure how over boots will do in rough terrain, but I can give them a few trials here in Iowa on smaller hills.

GotDraw?

WKR
Please clarify--

Are you saying you want leather lined, or are you saying you want full leather exteriors or both?

JL

After researching and reading several threads on here I am thinking that the synthetic boots are a waste of money. I have had Danner work boots that I wore for seven years, and I am not nice to my boots. I do clean and treat them regularly though. I am giving up on Gore-Tex in boots also. It may last a year but after that it just makes my feet sweat more. For the record it has to be cold or I am just sitting in wet environments before I put rain gear on.

Does anyone have a suggestion for leather, non- Gore-Tex boots. Experience with leather and canvas boots for lighter weight? Thanks.

OP
F
Please clarify--

Are you saying you want leather lined, or are you saying you want full leather exteriors or both?

JL

Non-GT that can be treated to provide some degree of water resistance/proofing. If there is a leather/canvas boot that can do this, I am interested in knowing about it. Mainly to save on weight.

zhunter

FNG
I too am interested in a all leather non-membrane boot.
gramirau, thanks for posting those options. The Scarpa sl activ may be what Im after.