Gore-Tex myth?

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
3 pairs of Saloman 4D and now a pair of Zamberlan 980s all with failing Gore-Tex long before the boot wore out. The Salomans were “cheap” enough I didn’t get too worked up over it and figured it was a function of a lower quality boot. The Zamberlans were noticibly more expensive so my expectations on performance were raised as well....no luck. 2” of fresh snow and the toe box on the left boot was soaked through in 20 minutes. I’d be surprised if the Zamberlans have 100’ miles on them. Treated once with Obenhauffs.

Is there such a thing as a “waterproof” boot?

Apparently I have to deal directly with Gore-Tex on this warranty claim....yippeee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xforce41

FNG
3 pairs of Saloman 4D and now a pair of Zamberlan 980s all with failing Gore-Tex long before the boot wore out. The Salomans were “cheap” enough I didn’t get too worked up over it and figured it was a function of a lower quality boot. The Zamberlans were noticibly more expensive so my expectations on performance were raised as well....no luck. 2” of fresh snow and the toe box on the left boot was soaked through in 20 minutes. I’d be surprised if the Zamberlans have 100’ miles on them. Treated once with Obenhauffs.

Is there such a thing as a “waterproof” boot?

Apparently I have to deal directly with Gore-Tex on this warranty claim....yippeee

I'm going thru the same claim with gore-tex with a pair of La sportiva trango cube GTX.
boots were only 2 months old, feet got soaked.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Gore-Tex in boots is really hit or miss. I have had boots stay dry for a couple years and others that lasted a couple of months. no correlation to brands and styles. sometimes I wonder if we would be better off without it and going back to a full grain leather platform that gets treated and retreated continually.

Randle

WKR
I have found that treating boots is the only way to keep my feet dry and comfortable. I did have a pair of Danners with gortex that lasted 10 yrs .but I also waxed them regularly.
Treat boots twice a season. Once before Sept archery . Then again before deer season in October. Then again in the spring. This has worked well for me.

Goretex waterproofness is certainly not a myth. The breathing ability is debatable. I think the issue isn't the membrane itself but the construction of the membrane liner in the specific boot - I.e. the seams. I've had plenty of Goretex boots that have been used in several inches of standing water without any leaks, including Irish Setter, LLBean, Rocky, and Meindl.

I treat my boots regularly and have found that is the only way to keep them "waterproof" Otherwise you have soaking wet leather up against your gore tex membrane. If you have water against any of these membranes for a period of time it will fail.

wapitibob

WKR
I buy my boots from REI, one year guarantee and Gore isn't involved. I've used it extensively.
In the last 20+ years I've had 1 boot that stayed waterproof past the two week, 50 mile threshold; my current Hanwags.

"Otherwise you have soaking wet leather up against your goretex membrane"

Once the leather gets soaked, primarily the toe box hinge point, walking will push water thru the membrane by simple hydraulic pressure. It's even worse with mesh boots as you will never waterproof those panels.

Akicita

WKR
Goretex waterproofness is certainly not a myth. The breathing ability is debatable. I think the issue isn't the membrane itself but the construction of the membrane liner in the specific boot - I.e. the seams. I've had plenty of Goretex boots that have been used in several inches of standing water without any leaks, including Irish Setter, LLBean, Rocky, and Meindl.

^^^Bingo!!!^^^ Has everything to do with the Gore-Tex membrane that is damaged during bonding and construction or boots that do not include a full coverage in the tongue (Salomon) . Some manufacturers will also stitch through the Gore-Tex bootie to bond it to the shell which creates weep holes for moisture to seep through (Salomon). "Wet out" is also a common issue with synthetic shell and leather Gore-Tex lined boots.

boom

WKR
i dont think i have ever had a pair of goretex lined boots leak.

i do let it go over the top when i get stupid..but i cant blame the boots.

^^^Bingo!!!^^^ Has everything to do with the Gore-Tex membrane that is damaged during bonding and construction or boots that do not include a full coverage in the tongue (Salomon) . Some manufacturers will also stitch through the Gore-Tex bootie to bond it to the shell which creates weep holes for moisture to seep through (Salomon). "Wet out" is also a common issue with synthetic shell and leather Gore-Tex lined boots.

I've also frequently had boots leak where flex points or hard points wear out the liner. Most notable at the heal where either the plastic heal counter cuts the membrane or the built in "bellows" just above the heal causes a flex tear. The flex point in front of the ankle is also a common one after some miles.

Biggest thing that helps keep a boot from leaking for me under long term use seems to be a STIFF boot. Less boot movement seems to both resist wear damage and hydraulic force leaking better than a soft flexible boot. I've got three years and fair pile of pack outs logged on a set of La Sportiva Nepals and they are still 100%, which is easily a record for me. But they also almost don't flex at all, which is a drawback in it's own right!

It's just my theory, but has held up for the boots I've owned.

elkduds

WKR
I have found longer waterproof service w all-leather uppers, waterproof linings. I keep the leather treated, eventually the lining leaks @ ball-of-foot flex point/back of toe box. I use synthetic uppers as well, they leak sooner in my experience.

This is why I buy all leather hunting boots. I can treat the leather to give me a first line of defense before I have to rely on the Goretex.
At this point I expect any waterproof membrane to last no more two months of hard use. They all suck.