Salamon Quest 4d GTX****NOT Waterproof

grfox92

WKR
I've had my Quests for a few months now. Worn them pheasant hunting the other day in wet grass and when I got home my merino socks were wet I'm certain spots. I assumed it was from me sweating as the boots are essentially brand new.

Today it's pouring rain in NY and I have to unload trucks at work outside' so naturally I wear my Quests. I was in full rain gear pants and all. Top of the boots were shielded by the rain pants. The boots are totally saturated all the way through after 1 hour in the rain.

I've read reports of the waterproofing wearing out after a year or so and they are a breathable boot so I'm not naive to think that eventually they would fail but this is very disappointing.

Has anyone else had issues?

I'm going to contact Salamon tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
just saw a similar thread down below (I should have checked before ranting)

I guess it's become a common issue...

Yep.
Mine leak when I subject them to pouring rain.
I just use them in dryer conditions.
I use lowa tibets and muck and lacrosse rubber boots in wetter conditions.
The salomons are very comfortable and light weight. They work for at least 50 percent of my hunting.

dotman

WKR
Yup very comfortable boot but feet get wet. I much prefer my Zamberlans.

wildcat33

WKR
Mine leak as well. But then again, so did my last pair of Zamberlans, La Sportivas, and Meindls (x2).

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Update***

After I got home last night I inspected the boots and found this. The other side is showing signs of separation in the same spot.

I'll be expecting a new pair from Solomon.

This really stinks because I love the boots. They couldn't be more comfortable which is what everyone who owns them says.

I guess when I get my new pair they will be up for sale in the classifieds.
45f9576bf7959100d8c2ff22dabee302.jpg

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Looks like a lot of wear on the heel end of that boot.
One 10 mile backpacking trip in the Adirondacks in August, 3 days of pheasant hunting in October and 2 days of bowhunting last week.

Other then that I wore them to work indoors to break them in a little before my backpacking trip.

Other then that they live in my closet.

LostArra

WKR
This boot has undergone at least one change in construction since it was introduced. My originals lasted 2 1/2 seasons before the dam broke and they gushed water, not a leak but running water. I figured that was their lifespan and with the comfort level being excellent I bought another pair, the updated version. This pair did not last a month before they leaked. Still comfortable if worn in dry conditions.
I always bought them at big discounts so I just chalk them up as cheap desert boots. I'm now officially finished with Salomons. I have found other deeply discounted boots that last much longer (Hanwag) to go with my heavyweight Tibets.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
This boot has undergone at least one change in construction since it was introduced. My originals lasted 2 1/2 seasons before the dam broke and they gushed water, not a leak but running water. I figured that was their lifespan and with the comfort level being excellent I bought another pair, the updated version. This pair did not last a month before they leaked. Still comfortable if worn in dry conditions.
I always bought them at big discounts so I just chalk them up as cheap desert boots. I'm now officially finished with Salomons. I have found other deeply discounted boots that last much longer (Hanwag) to go with my heavyweight Tibets.
I'm going to check out Hanwag. Thanks.

What size you wear ? I might be interested if you get a new pair from them and price is right. I put a lot of miles on mine through snow wet grass creek crossings and not one issue. I just sprayed them before i used them like i do with most all boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
What size you wear ? I might be interested if you get a new pair from them and price is right. I put a lot of miles on mine through snow wet grass creek crossings and not one issue. I just sprayed them before i used them like i do with most all boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They should be 10 or 10.5.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Just to update the thread....Salomon validated the warranty with out any hassle at all and I am getting a brand new pair of boots as soon as they are back in stock at salamon.com

They handle it by issuing a store credit to their website for the price of the boots.

Excellent and speedy Customer Service on Salamons part.

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been running the Solomon’s for a little over 2 yrs and they just started leaking this past weekend. Major bummer cuz I really liked them. I can see the rubber starting to separate from the leather. Could be my fault some... I used them pretty hard and never did anything to maintain them though.

duchntr

WKR
The fact is they are a full synthetic boot and even though the manufactuer claims they are waterproof they simply are not no way around it. They may keep your feet dry right out of the box but they will begin leaking shortly after guaranteed. If you want "waterproof" wear rubber boots or full grain leather boots sno-sealed. Not trying to be a dick just sharing my experience synthetic boots, I still use them btw but I know what to expect out out off them now and don't expect more.

sveltri

WKR
I must have gotten lucky with mine, lots of miles, several creek crossings, and wet grass...haven't had any issues.