if you're thinking of buying Hanwag boots

fish_e_o

FNG
i received these brand new hanwag boots in august 2017 after one trip i had lugs falling off and chunking off in september i contacted them for warranty. they said
"that the chunks are coming of due to hydrolysis, this is the degradation of the sole and is purportedly accelerated if you don't wear your shoes regularly or that have been sitting in the box for a couple of years."
they were willing to replace them, so i sent them back.

today i'm told that they can't replace them with the same model and if i want a new model i need to pay around $300...

great boots i just bought...

BEWARE HANWAG!!!

jLPlkuX.jpg

lnGcwbc.jpg

XzYxY0m.jpg

HIMcLnA.jpg

So, if you only wear your boots for hunting season, and they stay in the box the other 9 or 10 months, they (Hanwag) expect them to fall apart??
That's nice to know when I am looking to buy another pair of boots.

Huh.... That company has a great reputation, worldwide. I love my Hanwags also.

Sounds like a real foul on their part to not replace the lemons you unfortunately got...

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
F

fish_e_o

FNG
So, if you only wear your boots for hunting season, and they stay in the box the other 9 or 10 months, they (Hanwag) expect them to fall apart??
That's nice to know when I am looking to buy another pair of boots.
haha i wouldn't know i only had them for a month

Huh.... That company has a great reputation, worldwide. I love my Hanwags also.

Sounds like a real foul on their part to not replace the lemons you unfortunately got...
that's why i bought them, they had a great reputation. i understand things happen but at least fix it.

haha i wouldn't know i only had them for a month

that's why i bought them, they had a great reputation. i understand things happen but at least fix it.
Absolutely! Was it a vendor or Hanwag that gave you that answer?

I would suggest writing a letter. It cant hurt. But my experience with european companies is that in situations like this, I am often shit outta luck

OP
F

fish_e_o

FNG
Good afternoon,
Thank you for contacting us with your enquiry.
Here at Vibram Canada we only import and sell the already manufactured footwear made by Vibram itself, the Five Finger shoe, and the Furoshiki line. We are not involved with any of the partnered companies, and do not handle, distribute or manufacture and of the rubber products used to make soles for other brands.
You may contact Vibram USA and see if they could help you out through the re-sole program they run, but you would need to send the boots to the USA for repairs.
I would perhaps contact Hanwag again and see if they will honor warranty by offering you another boot of equal value.

Good luck

maybe vibram usa can help :(

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
they said "that the chunks are coming of due to hydrolysis, this is the degradation of the sole and is purportedly accelerated if you don't wear your shoes regularly or that have been sitting in the box for a couple of years."

I've heard this before, but have never experienced it. And I have several pairs of boots (not Hanwags).......some I only use one month out of the year and they're 14 years old. The soles look almost brand new. The rest of the boot is falling apart and has no support left, but the soles are good.

The exact same thing happened to me with my Hanwags. Never had that issue with La Sportiva, Lowa, or Zamberlan. About 80% of the lugs tore off of both boots in under 200 miles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
I had a pair of old Red Wing work boots (10 years old) come apart on a job site due to hydrolysis. It blew my mind. I wore them daily in the summer for a year then they were closeted for several years and only worn from time to time. They literally fell apart while I was walking. You've had these boots 3 months, they didn't fall apart from hydrolysis unless some chemistry expert says otherwise.

I wouldn't be close to done with this issue if it were me.

OP
F

fish_e_o

FNG
The exact same thing happened to me with my Hanwags. Never had that issue with La Sportiva, Lowa, or Zamberlan. About 80% of the lugs tore off of both boots in under 200 miles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

that is very interesting to hear.

I had a pair of old Red Wing work boots (10 years old) come apart on a job site due to hydrolysis. It blew my mind. I wore them daily in the summer for a year then they were closeted for several years and only worn from time to time. They literally fell apart while I was walking. You've had these boots 3 months, they didn't fall apart from hydrolysis unless some chemistry expert says otherwise.

I wouldn't be close to done with this issue if it were me.

since i contacted them at the beginning of september it's been a fight. all for a boot that i wore once, the shine is still on the sole from being brand new (well the parts that aren't missing). honestly i'm at the point where i'm just cutting my losses and now i'm telling people about how they treated me.

i have very low expectations of them doing the right thing and now that i'm talking badly of them i expect zero response from them.

I agree with your opinion of letting them go. I sure wouldn't send them another $300 for another pair of their boots. What if the same thing happened to the new boots? I would put that $300 along with another $100 and call BlackOvis to order a pair of Crispi Guides or Hunters. If you are not a Crispi person, Kenetrek will serve the purpose well too.

I think it’s crap on hanwag’s part, I’m a fan of thier boots but never been a fan of the very limited US distribution, which means bad US customer service.

Cut your losses would be just walking them out and then get them resoled. I’m guessing those are tatra’s, I love my yukons but it’s a different Vibram sole.

ljalberta

WKR
Disappointing to see. I was thinking about giving the Hanwag Alaska's a try next season. Will have to consider this.

WKR
**** em, one more company on my "nope" list.

Thanks for letting us know how they treat their customers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
F

fish_e_o

FNG
i called hanwag canada today and they wouldn't let me talk to a manager!

GotDraw?

WKR
While i understand that all rubber (and latex) products have a shelf life, it is not realistic for you to pay full retail differential.
By paying full retail differential, they effectively are out of pocket nothing.
You should pay no more than the manufacturer's actual cost difference between the models w/o mark up. (below wholesale)

JL