Snow Shoes

I went on an overnight trip into my elk spot this weekend and had a heckuva time getting around. Down low in the trees was shin to knee deep powder. In the parks was the same amount, but drifted bad.
Thinking about adding a pair of snow shoes to the gear list next year.

I've kind of been looking online and noticed they very by user weight. What would be something to look for for a fat kid with a loaded pack? I'd guess around 270-80 total weight (220 for myself plus a 50# pack.). Anything else I should look for when buying a pair?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I do a lot of high mountain snowmobiling with friends here in Utah at11,000- and higher. As many may or may not know- Utah has very dry snow, Very much powder.
Our snowmobiles are the type that works in this application- and so should our snowshoes- they are not all the same.

I have 2 pair like in this link:
Amazon.com : ALPS Adult All Terrian Snowshoes + Pair Anti-Shock Adjustable Snowshoeing Pole + Free Carrying Tote Bag : Sports & Outdoors

But in powder you are still going to sink in to your just below your knees if it is above knee height "Powder".
Snowshoes don't keep you from sinking in, they keep you from sinking in as much

The little ones like in the link are packable and do help- just not ideal for deep powder.
They are more of a cross country type run and gun snow shoe- but probably be better for more wet snow or more a packable snow.

To be honest powder needs a longer wider foot print in a snow shoe.
If I wasn't packing in a survival mode on my snowmobiles, and just hiking in like you said, I would consider cross country skis.

But if shoes are your desire, get bigger, longer, wider.

Last edited:

motts

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned, the bigger the shoe, the greater the amount of flotation, and you're probably going to need the largest size of whichever brand you choose to go with because of your size. It's always smart to go bigger than you think you really need, but you do so at the expense of maneuverability.

I personally like the MSR lightning ascent snowshoes as they're fully-featured (heel-lifters, full perimeter crampons, etc), durable, mostly rebuildable, and, with the optional tails, you can increase their surface area and, as a result, load capacity. Most if not all of the MSR models share these attributes. I've used Tubbs/Atlas models in the past, but found that they were not as durable as I would have liked. Make sure you have a good pair of trekking poles with powder baskets to use as well - you'll inevitably sink in further than anticipated or faceplant over an unseen obstacle under the snow somewhere along the way, and trying to pick yourself back up with a pack on is much easier with them than it is without them.

IdahoElk

WKR
I have the Atlas Aspects and am really happy with both the quality and customer service, contact them and speak to a rep for the right shoe.

GotDraw?

WKR
Question is:

Are you most concerned about flotation? Or traction/side hilling in snow that is sometimes compacted/icy?

I use MSR lightning ascents, they have a cool feature for climbing in steep terrain the call "Tellevator". This a a bracket that flips up and keeps your heel elevated so you don't work as hard w/your calves... a most excellent feature. They also have built in crampons at the toe and perimeter frame and braking bars are all serrated giving the user superior traction in difficult/technical terrain.

Here is a link to a great snow shoe review done by the folks at Outdoor Gear Lab. Compares several different manufacturers shoes.
The Best Men's Snowshoes of 2017 | OutdoorGearLab

Pick the attributes most important to you, then find a shoe that meets your needs. Be aware that manufacturers my offer several different lengths of shoes. Also, the MSR Lightning Ascents have an add-on tail that can be purchased to make them longer. I believe the Ascents come in two lengths, then you can add the tails if you wish for more flotation.

Hope this helps.

JL

OP
TradLife406
The powder wasn't that bad, it's the deep drifts that really sucked. Normally I can speed up and down the mountain pretty good for a fat kid, that hike took am extra 45 min!

Thanks! That gives me some things to look at for next year!

I think even having a pair of coyotes on the drifted praire would be money too!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted the MSR lightning ascents are a great shoe with some great features and super traction. I am currently running The MSR EVOS as just a little lighter and put less strain to the outside for my bad knee. Another great shoe and pretty much indestructible. Back in the day I went through a couple cheaper shoes and would recommend quality and buy once mentality.

Attachments

• P1012574.jpg
    P1012574.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 33
  • P1190683-003.jpg
    P1190683-003.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

LBFowler

WKR
I like my MSR lightning ascents, but I can't say I actually like them any better then the plastic decked MSRs which are cheaper and easy to find used. You can get tails for some of the plastic MSRs (not all) but I think the lightnings might have slightly more surface area.

I never could tell much difference between tails and no tails, or different sizes of shoe (and I mean between 22" MSRs and 46" surplus ones). I don't think there is a huge jump in floatation until you get up into massive 50"+ shoes.

topher89

WKR
MSR Lightening Ascents for me. I have never hunted with them though and packed anything out, so I can't comment on the flotation with a really heavy load.