Schnees vs kenetrek pac boot

I am looking to buy a pack boot. In particular schnees extreme vs kenetrek northern. Looking for input on both. Would be for wisconsin winters and also late season hunting in wisconsin and western states.
Thanks

Murph1

Lil-Rokslider
I bought both and liked the Schnees in 16 inch high. The Kenetrex weren't tal enough for what i was looking for. TheSchnees are very comfortable, but i didn't keep the kenetrex long enough to test their comfort

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm kind of looking at the same, though I just keep wondering to go with the hunter Ii or extreme from schnees. After my current mucks die, I'm done with rubber unless I absolutely need the water protection, those things don't keep my feet warm regardless what I do.

bruno59

WKR
I have both and both are great if you had them side by side you could not tell the difference I use the grizzly and the hunter 2 the northerns and extremes are heavy the biggest difference is price the schnees are made here the kenetreks are imported both would do fine but if your hiking I would stick with the grizzly or hunter 2 I used both for the last 6 or 7 years and both are in great shape still

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Based on internet searching and reviews I bought a pair of Hoffman Guide Boots last spring. I don't have a long term review on them, but so far so good. They are definitely less money than the other brands and I believe the quality is better. It's a neat old company.

Based on internet searching and reviews I bought a pair of Hoffman Guide Boots last spring. I don't have a long term review on them, but so far so good. They are definitely less money than the other brands and I believe the quality is better. It's a neat old company.

+1 on this!!

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am looking to buy a pack boot. In particular schnees extreme vs kenetrek northern. Looking for input on both. Would be for wisconsin winters and also late season hunting in wisconsin and western states.
Thanks

Hello Nick and thanks for considering our boots. If there are any questions I can answer or assistance, feel free to PM me!

Some things to consider. First, all our PAC boots are handcrafted here in Bozeman by some great people! The leather(and all materials for that matter) are the highest quality possible. Honestly, when I got my first pair of Hunter II's, I couldn't believe how nice the leather was. As for which boot to get, the Extreme's are really warm but that comes at the cost of weight. They are going to be a bit heavier. If you don't plan on hiking a bunch, that usually is fine. Personally, I run the Hunter II, 13in height with a good tall sock or sock system like our duo sock system. I've worn that setup out in knee deep snow on a -20F/-43F with wind chill day and I was comfortable. But that was moving around a bit.

Again, feel free to pm me if I can help at all.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
this elk season the snow came early and stayed- I hunted in 8-12”+ snow almost the entire season- not lots of fun to be honest :D. I was using my 16” Schnee’s pack boots, now approaching the 20 year mark. I was covering 8-12 miles a day (albeit not very quickly). I never had a hot spot, let alone a blister. My feet stayed warm while glassing (obviously warm while walking) and with the 16” height I simply tuck my pants in and don’t Ned gaiters. At night I’d simply swap out liners or if time, put them on the boot drier.

While not the boot I would wear with less (or no snow), these are THE boots to have in cold and deeper snow conditions. At some point I’ll have to replace the soles, but the uppers will never wear out in my lifetime.

You size up with the pac boots correct?
I have a pair of schnee absaroka and was looking at the Hunter II for late season hunts. Wear 9.5 in the absaroka so order 10.5 for the pac boots?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
they could answer for sure, but I was told (mind you this was 20 years ago) that if I were a half size order up, if you were a whole size order your regular size- I would call them to be sure, but would guess you would order a 10

Lawnboi

WKR
I got my hunter IIs a while ago, post hunting season. But they have been out on the ice a few times now in temps below zero.

Awesome boots, very happy with my purchase. Have also done some walking in them, pretty supportive for a PAC boot and I like the outsole.

I did have to add a felt insole to eat up some room, with the liner they feel perfect.

I went schnees due to the customer service I see on here, hoping it will carry over if ever I have a problem.