Review: Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hiker, by Robby Denning

herd90

Lil-Rokslider
attachment.php

Here is the final review on the Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hiker. I liked these boots! Sure nice to find a boot that fits a 4E width. They'll have a place in my line-up of great boots for years to come.

Review: Kenetrek Hardscrabble Boots - Rokslide
Nice review.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

elkyinzer

WKR
I got a pair of Hardscrabbles for Christmas and I am probably halfway through the break in period.

Really wavering about them and I keep going back and forth between selling them and keeping them, so I am wondering about some others experiences with mountaineering type boots. Most of my experience is with light hikers, Lowa Renegades being my favorite, so I realize it is sort of an apples to oranges comparison. That said having beat up my feet elk hunting a few times I do see some pros to a more supportive boot.

It's not so much the stiffness that bothers me, but the height which I guess is attributed to the thickness of the sole. The sole is so thick I feel like I am walking on high heels or something, and it really throws off my balance on uneven terrain. Really struggling walking over deadfall, rocks, and the like.

Questions for those with more experience than I, is that a common thing with mountaineering boots? To achieve a stiffer sole is it necessary for them to be so high? Or is that more unique to this particular model? I guess in that sense I am leaning toward selling mine because I just can't get imagine I'll get more comfortable walking in them. So my questions are more geared toward understanding if this stiffer style of boot in general is just not for me? Anything else I am missing in understanding this?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I got a pair of Hardscrabbles for Christmas and I am probably halfway through the break in period.

Really wavering about them and I keep going back and forth between selling them and keeping them, so I am wondering about some others experiences with mountaineering type boots. Most of my experience is with light hikers, Lowa Renegades being my favorite, so I realize it is sort of an apples to oranges comparison. That said having beat up my feet elk hunting a few times I do see some pros to a more supportive boot.

It's not so much the stiffness that bothers me, but the height which I guess is attributed to the thickness of the sole. The sole is so thick I feel like I am walking on high heels or something, and it really throws off my balance on uneven terrain. Really struggling walking over deadfall, rocks, and the like.

Questions for those with more experience than I, is that a common thing with mountaineering boots? To achieve a stiffer sole is it necessary for them to be so high? Or is that more unique to this particular model? I guess in that sense I am leaning toward selling mine because I just can't get imagine I'll get more comfortable walking in them. So my questions are more geared toward understanding if this stiffer style of boot in general is just not for me? Anything else I am missing in understanding this?

Hmmmmm, I didn’t experience any balance issues with mine, nor do I feel taller.

I’ve had other mountaineer style leather boots and break in was tough. Don’t compare these to the light hikers, totally different animals.

Don’t jump ship till you’ve tried them in hardcore up and down terrain, that is where the support will be evident

Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkyinzer

WKR
Definitely understand the break in period is essential and will press on with that. I have worn them in some really steep terrain and I do see the benefits of the support there. Going uphill or steep sidehill you dig that toe or edge in and they are stable as can be, really conserves a lot of energy.

Maybe I need to get out the caliper and check with Kenetrek that the sole heights on mine are up to spec. A bit of an exaggeration but this stock image is about how I think of them at this point compared to what I am used to.
View attachment 68709

Meanlean

FNG
Great review. Thank you. New member, so I hope this is the correct way to reply...
Hardscrabble Kenetreks:
Im seasoned in the backcountry. Former ultra runner (100’s), avid backpacker, and even married a ex-wilderness ranger who is go, go, go. We get out after it. I need a tough boot for my new interest in Bow Hunting. Im getting ready to start scouting terrain and I'm training. Here the thing...im hard on things. I break everything. Im 6’7” 235. I wear a 14. Typically go 15 to avoid toenail loss in trail runners. I wear a med/ standard width. Question 1-Are these hard-scrabbles good for side hilling all day? Question 2- Should i size up to 15 if 14’s are in the edge for downhills ? I just wonder about a stiffer low boot and How u would handle the need for a half size up that the manufacturer doesnt offer?
I realize you cant know my feet, but your general opinion would be appreciated. I wear a tall Meindl right now. Insulated in 14. But definately have the need for more length on my mind at times. They would be way too hot for Aug-sept. Besides archery elk, i will be rifle deer hunting and in the deserts for pronghorn.
Thank uou!
Meanlean

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great review. Thank you. New member, so I hope this is the correct way to reply...
Hardscrabble Kenetreks:
Im seasoned in the backcountry. Former ultra runner (100’s), avid backpacker, and even married a ex-wilderness ranger who is go, go, go. We get out after it. I need a tough boot for my new interest in Bow Hunting. Im getting ready to start scouting terrain and I'm training. Here the thing...im hard on things. I break everything. Im 6’7” 235. I wear a 14. Typically go 15 to avoid toenail loss in trail runners. I wear a med/ standard width. Question 1-Are these hard-scrabbles good for side hilling all day? Question 2- Should i size up to 15 if 14’s are in the edge for downhills ? I just wonder about a stiffer low boot and How u would handle the need for a half size up that the manufacturer doesnt offer?
I realize you cant know my feet, but your general opinion would be appreciated. I wear a tall Meindl right now. Insulated in 14. But definately have the need for more length on my mind at times. They would be way too hot for Aug-sept. Besides archery elk, i will be rifle deer hunting and in the deserts for pronghorn.
Thank uou!
Meanlean
Hey,
thanks for the questions. First...this thread is several years old but I wore my Hardscrabbles just this morning for a very light hike but mostly just to dust them off for the season. Still performing well and my favorite low-height boot. Soiid boots and solid fit (once through the rough break-in period)

I could sidehill in mine no problem, mayby not "all day" as I don't ever sidehill all day. I think the boot will do it as long as they're broke in properly and your ankles have been conditioned.

Probably the best way for me to assure you this is a good boot FOR ME is the fact I'm still wearing them two years later and would buy them again.

I can't say on the size issue but this is what I'd do. Call Kenetrek and see if you can get Wyatt or even Jim on the phone and tell them I told you to call. Tell them the issue. They're honest and will even take the boots back if there truly is a problem. Just let them know you'll take a risk if they will.

And let us know what you end up doing.

If you don't go with Kenetrek, give Lathrop and Sons a call. Completely different approach as they work with your feet to pick the boot. If you truly have abnormal feet, they are the company to go with.

Meanlean

FNG
Hey,
thanks for the questions. First...this thread is several years old but I wore my Hardscrabbles just this morning for a very light hike but mostly just to dust them off for the season. Still performing well and my favorite low-height boot. Soiid boots and solid fit (once through the rough break-in period)

I could sidehill in mine no problem, mayby not "all day" as I don't ever sidehill all day. I think the boot will do it as long as they're broke in properly and your ankles have been conditioned.

Probably the best way for me to assure you this is a good boot FOR ME is the fact I'm still wearing them two years later and would buy them again.

I can't say on the size issue but this is what I'd do. Call Kenetrek and see if you can get Wyatt or even Jim on the phone and tell them I told you to call. Tell them the issue. They're honest and will even take the boots back if there truly is a problem. Just let them know you'll take a risk if they will.

And let us know what you end up doing.

If you don't go with Kenetrek, give Lathrop and Sons a call. Completely different approach as they work with your feet to pick the boot. If you truly have abnormal feet, they are the company to go with.
Thank you very much!
I do appreciate your time. Ill let you know the direction i choose and results from my decision. Best to you!

muddydogs

WKR
For all I read about how bad the break in period is on Kenetrek boots I have been pleasantly surprised with my Hard Scrabbles. Put them on 2 days ago and have worn them all day at work with no issues and no real break in needed. Ya they started out a little stiff but withing a couple days they have loosed up a bit and are feeling great.
Wonder if most of the complaints about break in are coming from guys that aren't used to wearing a real boot that has some stiffness to them and a good leather upper. These Kenetrek boots sure aren't your average Salomon, Crispi, or other lite hiker boot.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
For all I read about how bad the break in period is on Kenetrek boots I have been pleasantly surprised with my Hard Scrabbles. Put them on 2 days ago and have worn them all day at work with no issues and no real break in needed. Ya they started out a little stiff but withing a couple days they have loosed up a bit and are feeling great.
Wonder if most of the complaints about break in are coming from guys that aren't used to wearing a real boot that has some stiffness to them and a good leather upper. These Kenetrek boots sure aren't your average Salomon, Crispi, or other lite hiker boot.

Good to hear. I think it’s because feet/footwear are the most unique per person out of all outerwear. That’s why one person loves a boot and the next gets crippled.
Keep us posted on your experiences.

danarnold

WKR
I’m interested in the hardscrabble, I’m really impressed with my mountain extremes in the break-in was minimal, is there a tougher break in period with the hardscrabble?

Gumbo

WKR
I’m interested in the hardscrabble, I’m really impressed with my mountain extremes in the break-in was minimal, is there a tougher break in period with the hardscrabble?

I have both (actually Hardscrabbles, ME 400gr, and ME UI) and the break-in was the same for all for me. My experience with them, which is 6+ years with MEs and and 3 with Hardscrabbles, is that I didn't notice a change in the boots at all in terms of break-in. I could wear them new, straight out of the box, on any hunt or hike I've ever done. I will say that my old ME UIs which I wore out after about 6 years of abuse (which have now been replaced with a new pair) are far softer in the upper boot than the new ones...They are almost like a pair of Uggs.

I love these boots and will wear them until they stop making them. FWIW I did not like the fit of the Desert Guides (returned them) and the Bridgers fell apart faster than Merrells.

danarnold

WKR
I have both (actually Hardscrabbles, ME 400gr, and ME UI) and the break-in was the same for all for me. My experience with them, which is 6+ years with MEs and and 3 with Hardscrabbles, is that I didn't notice a change in the boots at all in terms of break-in. I could wear them new, straight out of the box, on any hunt or hike I've ever done. I will say that my old ME UIs which I wore out after about 6 years of abuse (which have now been replaced with a new pair) are far softer in the upper boot than the new ones...They are almost like a pair of Uggs.

I love these boots and will wear them until they stop making them. FWIW I did not like the fit of the Desert Guides (returned them) and the Bridgers fell apart faster than Merrells.

Thanks that’s what I was hoping to hear, I have ME UI& 400’s and they fit and feel better than anything I’ve had with effortless break in, ready for the Hardscrabbles

Meanlean

FNG
Hardscrabble Kenetreks:
Thank uou!
Meanlean
Thank you very much!
I do appreciate your time. Ill let you know the direction i choose and results from my decision. Best to you!
Thanks that’s what I was hoping to hear, I have ME UI& 400’s and they fit and feel better than anything I’ve had with effortless break in, ready for the Hardscrabbles
Well, i threw down for the Crispi Nevadas instead. As it turns out i paid $399, tax free and free shipping VS $420 plus shipping and tax. Thanks for your advice on the Hardscrabbles. If these fail... i guess ill take another crack at it with Kenetreks.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well, i threw down for the Crispi Nevadas instead. As it turns out i paid $399, tax free and free shipping VS $420 plus shipping and tax. Thanks for your advice on the Hardscrabbles. If these fail... i guess ill take another crack at it with Kenetreks.

Now you can give us a report on the Crispi’s.

Thanks for a very honest review! I own a pair of ME 1000s and just picked up a pair of hardscrabbles. I only have 8-10 miles on the break in and was very skeptical at the stiffness until reading this review. Hoping that after break in, they are as comfortable as the Mountain Extremes!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for a very honest review! I own a pair of ME 1000s and just picked up a pair of hardscrabbles. I only have 8-10 miles on the break in and was very skeptical at the stiffness until reading this review. Hoping that after break in, they are as comfortable as the Mountain Extremes!

Let us know how it turns out.