Keeping boots dry.

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
How are you guys keeping your boots dry on multi day trips into the backcountry? I use gaiters, don’t have a shelter with a stove yet and hunt in wet climates. (Washington) My feet do sweat pretty bad and I change out my socks during the day but usually after a few days they are damp inside regardless of what I do. I don’t think gaiters help the sweating either. Just looking for some tips I don’t know! The boot and brand doesn’t seem to matter either, I’ve ran Kenetreks, Lowa and La Sportivas. Thanks.

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried an anti persperant spray or roll on for your feet? It works great for me. On the boots I would use a quality beeswax based waterproofer right before the hunt and in between wet hunts.

FlyGuy

WKR
I don't have a ton of good info for you, but I'd say that prevention is the best method. I did not put a wax treatment on my kenetreks prior to my September WY hunt as I expected it to be really dry. Boy was I wrong. It dumped rain (or snow) on us 9 out of 11 days. My feet stayed wet. I've never had blisters before this hunt, but I grew a nasty pair of them on the back of both heels after the first day moving up steep slopes in those heavy wet boots. Had to fight that heel pain the rest of the 10 days and it sucked big time.

I DO have a stove in my Tut, but I never got my boots dry. I'd stick them right below/beside the stove body but the fire just doesn't last long enough to dry them out and I was usually asleep pretty fast. I guess if you sat out for a half/whole day of hunting just burning wood in your tent then you could get them dry; but without a good water treatment they are just going to be wet again within an hour of leaving the tent.

One evening I was getting desperate and I decided to put them next to the campfire to dry them out. Mistake. Got them way, way too hot and ended up having to send them in for repairs. Cooked the glue in one sole. ruined the rand on the other one. So don't do that. They get hot FAST.

Combine a good boot treatment with sock changes and you should be good to go for normal hunting scenarios. I changed socks around mid day, then again back at camp in the evenings. That rotation helped a good bit.

OP
J

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll have to try some of anti persperant. Thanks guys

Owenst7

WKR
Have you tried an anti persperant spray or roll on for your feet? It works great for me. On the boots I would use a quality beeswax based waterproofer right before the hunt and in between wet hunts.
Learned this in high school snowboarding. Works very well. Reduces stink in your socks quite a bit too.

Athletes foot getting in my armpit makes me nervous, so I usually have one of those little travel sticks just for my foot or use spray.

Sometimes I'll stuff an extra shift or something in my boot to soak up moisture, then hang it in a breeze. Usually only do this when it's convenient to wash the shirt in a Creek after jus because foot stink irritates me more than most haha.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
Of course if I can keep my feet dry I prefer to. But like most types of gear, fast drying stuff that works well when wet is usually a better bet in the long game. Dry socks on at night, wet ones back on in the am if needed. This is after a pile of ice climbing, mountaineering, and many dozen backpack trips in all seasons.

When I killed this buck my feet had already been wet for two days. 110# packout for 6 miles and change, not a single blister. The boots were light, flexible, and fit, so the moisture didn't much matter. Your mileage may vary.

37866110985_9babcd204a_b.jpg

JP100

WKR
A solution to being dry in a wet environment does not exist haha.

changing out socks and being 'damp' is as good its gets. Unless you have a fire.

Pack in a few sheets of newspaper and stuff it in your boots at night, it will absorb moisture. Works better than you might expect. Take it out during the day and let it dry. It's light and can double as firestarter.

Owenst7

WKR
I sometimes run polyester or acrylic socks when I'm anticipating super wet conditions. They dry a hell of a lot faster than Merino. You can pretty much wring them out and spin them around in the air for a few seconds and they'll be dry when you put them on.

Big thing is I just stop and rotate my socks frequently when it's wet. You can hike your boots fairly dry if you keep sponging moisture out with your sock. I think it helps my feet to get some air every couple hours, even if they go right back to a damp boot.

Randle

WKR
2nd the newspaper. It works very well to dry the inside of the boots. And I give them a good coat of Obenhauf wax. Keep the water from soaking the leather by soaking it with wax.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Moisture management takes a comprehensive solution for me;

I seam seal my mesh boots- they are 100% waterproof

Good merino socks have been the best for me...even better than liners with another sock

I take my boots off a couple times a day when stopping to glass, etc...

The anti perspirant works good...but I can usually get away without it

Lawnboi

WKR
I notice a difference just in the kind of socks I wear. Straight merino smart wool socks tend to get more damp, and hold that moisture than a fits with much more synthetic fiber.

I normally don't have problems when I'm moving a lot, I tend to walk them dry, but I don't hunt where it's wet constantly either.

Most problems I have is sitting in the stand. My feet get soaked sitting all day.

Last edited:

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Good socks make a huge difference, I swear by the DARN tough merino wool ones, and I sleep with the wet ones on my feet and most times by morning they are fairly dry, unless its real cold out then I slept with dry socks and just suck it up the next day.

D snyder

FNG
Newspaper or rice paper
Never use wax, otter paste etc on your good leather / unbuckle boots. It’ll clog the pores and they won’t breathe as gore Tex boots are designed to do.
I use Graingers spray and let is slowly dry in the sun or on a Cabela’s Pete dryer. It penetrates the leather, seals it but does not clog the pores. Kenetrek and Lowa both offer their own products that work the same and won’t void your warranty.

DRUSS

WKR
I usually. Change out socks and sometimes pack a extra insole with. I understand the problem as I live in Oregon do hunting day in day out without rain is still wet from morning dew or fog. And gaiters help a little but not much. I usually have moisture from mid thigh down. Lots of underbrush. The only thing I do carry with me is a pair of sealskinz socks for when boots are thoroughly soaked. But they dont breath well, just offer a dry start in the morning. Could also leave some hand warmers in boots ar night...