Crispi Wild Rock GTX

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
Curious, has anybody used these boots? What are your thoughts? How do those soles handle when its not rainy and snowy? Looking for any input on them, as there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of reviews out there for these specific boots.

Thanks in advance!

The are sale at midway USA for $289, free shipping. That's the only thing I can tell you, sorry. If they are even close to the Crispi Hunter GTX, you can't go wrong. I have the Crispi Hunter, and they are "THE BEST DAMN BOOT - PERIOD !!" (for me anyway).

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR
They're on sale elsewhere too. Last time this happened to a particular Crispi boot, it got a redesign, if I recall correctly. That was enough to give me pause for thought about whether the Wild Rock is up for the same treatment ... and what they might consider wrong with its current form.

They're on sale elsewhere too. Last time this happened to a particular Crispi boot, it got a redesign, if I recall correctly. That was enough to give me pause for thought about whether the Wild Rock is up for the same treatment ... and what they might consider wrong with its current form.

Or it’s a very slow mover since it’s a very specific season boot. Lots of insulation, image crispi has a min order for dealers. This is probably crispi margin support,

One of the two but overall steep discounts are good

OP
swisski

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
I was wondering the same Doberman. Either way, I ended up picking up a pair. Excited to try them out. Thanks for the input everyone.

Are these boots as stiff as Kenetrek boots?

I'm not sure about the Wild Rock, but my Crispi Hunters definitely are. For the fit (on MY feet) the Crispi are the most comfortable boot I have ever put my feet in, and required no break-in but have the same support as my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. If you don't want a boot as tall as the Hunter, the Guide is about 2 inches shorter.
I am tempted to buy a pair of the Wild Rocks, just the wrong time of the year (Xmas expenses considered).

OP
swisski

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
Initial impressions are super nice. You can tell their outsole is a grippier version than what might be on their other boots- they are different from my Nevada's for example. I also think these may be be one of their only boots that utilize full grain leather instead of nubuck. I initially ordered 11's, but had to send them back for 10.5's. I'll share my thoughts on them as they get more use.

Firehawk

WKR
I weighed these out versus the Guides and ultimately went the Guide route instead. Seems that the biggest differences were the type of sole, and the insulation. I found it interesting that I got a one half size different in the two. I think I went half size higher with the Guides, but it could have been the exact opposite. Love my Guides, but I am sad that I don't have a late season tag so I can wear them this year.

FH

keller

WKR
hows the room in the toebox on the wild rock gtx? ive been looking at them as well

OP
swisski

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
I'm actually running into issues with the toe box. I have both the 10.5's and 11's side by side. The 10.5's fit better for me, except for there is slight downward pressure/side pressure near my pinky toe on the right foot. I don't usually go with a wide fit, and my Nevada's are D's. I'm wondering if the EE would solve the issue, but then again these boots just might not work for my feet.

The main draw to the Wild Rocks for me was the 400g insulation. I really like the Guides, I just wanted a little more than 200g.

I'm not sure what difference 200 g of insulation will make when comparing 200 to 400. Could be you get more insulation by wearing thicker wool socks. Problem then is you have to make sure you get the correct size that will allow to wear the thicker socks. You might notice a bigger difference going from Non-Insulated to 400 grams. I settled for the Crispi Hunter (same boot as the Guide, only 2" taller) that has only 200 g, but I wear the Kenetrek Ultimate Liner sock under the Kenetrek Alaska socks.

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR
I'm actually running into issues with the toe box. I have both the 10.5's and 11's side by side. The 10.5's fit better for me, except for there is slight downward pressure/side pressure near my pinky toe on the right foot. I don't usually go with a wide fit, and my Nevada's are D's. I'm wondering if the EE would solve the issue, but then again these boots just might not work for my feet.

I found the same - while they're meant to have a wider toe box that some of the more 'technical' shoes like many Scarpas, etc, the standard width on the Crispis I tried was just too narrow for me - and while I haven't had them measured, I don't know that I have overly-wide feet. The EE / wide option works well for me. So I just keep the standard widths for shorter hikes where there won't be as much friction for as long, and my feet won't flatten out; the wides then work for longer trips.

OP
swisski

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure what difference 200 g of insulation will make. Could be you get more insulation by wearing thicker wool socks. Problem then is you have to make sure you get the correct size that will allow to wear the thicker socks. I settled for the Crispi Hunter (same boot as the Guide, only 2" taller) that has only 200 g, but I wear the Kenetrek Ultimate Liner sock under the Kenetrek Alaska socks.

For sure. In the end, what is 200g right? But I’ve just kind of settled on that decision. I can get by with quite a bit in uninsulated, but I’m looking for the next level. Once I start sitting still for any amount of time around 25-30F degrees, I feel it no matter which socks I run. So yes, a lot depends on my activity level. I just feel I can be most versatile with about that 400g range personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
swisski

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
I found the same - while they're meant to have a wider toe box that some of the more 'technical' shoes like many Scarpas, etc, the standard width on the Crispis I tried was just too narrow for me - and while I haven't had them measured, I don't know that I have overly-wide feet. The EE / wide option works well for me. So I just keep the standard widths for shorter hikes where there won't be as much friction for as long, and my feet won't flatten out; the wides then work for longer trips.

Good to know. I found it odd that I’d run into width issues. My boots before my Nevada’s are standard width Reichles (no longer made) and I never had any issues with them, and they are designed on a European last as far as I know! On top of that, the Nevada’s in D width are perfect, so it’s still a little odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
I don't know whether Crispi use different lasts for their boots, but Scarpa, for example, use a mind-boggling variety - all of which they list on their website, but with completely useless descriptions. For example, they don't have a simple way of saying which lasts are wider than others.

I remember reading some time ago on a backpacking forum that said that for the Australian and New Zealand market, most retailers won't stock the majority of Scarpas, as they're simply too narrow ... Scarpa run what's meant to be a very wide last (BXX ?) that accommodates feet as they naturally widen out after days of hiking, and this is the main last that 'downunder' stockists like to carry. Even so, I found them to be still pretty narrow for the length.

The wide Crispi Idahos I have were a much better configuration.

Crispyb

FNG
Mine just landed and they are very nice

I weighed these out versus the Guides and ultimately went the Guide route instead. Seems that the biggest differences were the type of sole, and the insulation. I found it interesting that I got a one half size different in the two. I think I went half size higher with the Guides, but it could have been the exact opposite. Love my Guides, but I am sad that I don't have a late season tag so I can wear them this year.

FH

Out of the box bery comfortable for me.
For comparison sake my feet are average all the way around, keen boots and sportiva makalas fit my foot great. Those running style Nike airs that are real light as well as the top end new balance running shoe starts hurting my knee, but vibram 5 fingers do not.

All that being said, i hate high tops, they stary hurting my ankles, and while i havent put any miles on these, they were comfortable around the ankle unlike most other boots ive tried. Comfortable enough that i am going to take them to the trail.

I am glad because screen name is crispy b, of course named after my favorite food, so i needed these to work!

OP
swisski

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
The Wild Rock's unfortunately just didn't work for my foot. I tried both the 10.5's and the 11's.

In talking with the guys at Crispi, they use the same last as the Nevada's, but of course there is volume that is taken up with that added insulation in the Wild Rocks. They mentioned that while they work for most people, it wasn't the first time they've heard of a tight toe box issue. It was just a little too snug for my comfort. That being said, I absolutely love my Nevada's and they fit perfectly.

This just leaves me still on the hunt for that perfect late season boot.

OP
swisski

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
Not that anyone cares per se, but I ended up with the Meindl Perfekt Hunter Extremes by Cabelas. I'm glad I gave these boots a shot as they fit very comfortably out of the box. I didn't run into the same toe box issue that I had with the Wild Rocks.

The fact that they are made in Germany shows in the quality, as should be expected in any high quality mountain boot. Fortunately I've only heard good things with this model. We'll see how they last over the next few seasons, but as of now I'm very happy with the purchase.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitebeard