The quest for hunting boots...

OP
J
I definitely agree with it being scary. Its tough because before you really put them through their paces you're not entirely sure of anything really. Once I settle on a boot I will probably end up taking them turkey hunting, spring bear, and preseason scouting so hopefully any issues come to light before season sets in.

As far as leukotape, I have a roll of the stuff in my first aid kit. Absolutely invaluable, works 10x better than moleskin or anything else I've seen... and yes, you put it on when you have a hotspot, not a full on blister!

HeadnWest

WKR
Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
What size boot do you wear?

FYI- IMHO, while walking around in the house is better than nothing, 5-7 miles of walking on the flat floor of a house will not break in a set of serious mountain boots. You might have tossed boots that would actually been super once properly broken in. Problem is, these days, lots of folks expect their boots to fit perfectly out of the box or to get there quickly. My Tibets probably took about 30 miles before the leather shell found its path to conform to my feet and allow the lacing system to be properly used. After 30 miles (including getting soaked), the initial slight heel lift went away and the boots were fantastic (but heavy). Heel lift had been caused by the combination of a stiff sole and inability to properly mold the upper sole to my foot until the leather softened a bit.

JL

OP
J
What size boot do you wear?

FYI- IMHO, while walking around in the house is better than nothing, 5-7 miles of walking on the flat floor of a house will not break in a set of serious mountain boots. You might have tossed boots that would actually been super once properly broken in. Problem is, these days, lots of folks expect their boots to fit perfectly out of the box or to get there quickly. My Tibets probably took about 30 miles before the leather shell found its path to conform to my feet and allow the lacing system to be properly used. After 30 miles (including getting soaked), the initial slight heel lift went away and the boots were fantastic (but heavy). Heel lift had been caused by the combination of a stiff sole and inability to properly mold the upper sole to my foot until the leather softened a bit.

JL

Oh yeah, I know that wearing them around the house won’t do much. I’m just hoping to reveal any major fit issues... like with the crispis, there was just way too much room in the toebox. I think the heel lift might’ve gone away but with as much room as there was I think it still wouldn’t have worked.

I’m gonna give the lowas a good working out and see where I’m at with them. I have 120 days to return the kenetreks, so I’m gonna hold out on on really taking them out until I have tried the lowas and potentially the Zamberlans. I wish we had a hanwag dealer nearby.

HeadnWest

WKR
I do not own these boots but they really intrigue me. I haven't heard a lot of reviews on them, but they seem like they fit the mold as to what I want out of a boot. Some sizes are really cheap right now. Plus if you are a Prime member its free shipping and free returns. Just thought I would share.

Amazon.com | Scarpa Men's R-Evolution Plus GTX Hiking Boot, Tundra, 42 EU/9 M US | Hiking Boots

SOo I broke down and bought these boots just to give them a try around the house. I will let you know what I think.

I don’t have much advice, other than I feel your pain. I’m on at least a dozen pairs of different boots over the last few years. Never thought I had any abnormalities with my feet, but something about the boots always ends up not working for me.

The only ones that work are the Salomons, which have been perfect (other than durability). If you watch Amazon you can get them pretty easily for $120-140. I have 4 pairs, 2 of which made it through 2 hunting seasons and could get tossed any time. It equates out to $70/season at worst if they last for 2 years, so that means several other boots would need to make it 5-7 years for the cost to equal out. My quest for the other perfect boot is because if Salomon quits making these, I’m in trouble.

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes on Midway USA for $314. Killer Christmas Day sale. Not all sizes. Good hunting and Merry Christmas.
gg

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
for a low volume foot and narrow heels, consider the Zamberlan 980 gtx. Non insulated, 11" tall, and they worked for me after lowas and scarpas and kennetreks didn't. 3 seasons and quite a few miles later, they're beat up but still going strong. And still water proof in SE AK...

OP
J
An update - I figured out why my feet are so damn hard to find a boot for... I have Haglund's. While I've never gotten the pain associated with it, its definitely there. Which also explains why my left foot always seems to slip, as its worse on my left.... I figured it was due to my left foot being the smaller of the two.

Its looking like a long uphill to find a boot thats gonna fit

This thread has been great. I've had similar issues finding a good fitting pair of boots and am on the process of trying all the usual suspects. Did the lowas and kennetreks not get it done for you?

I brought home a pair of kennetrek extreme 400's to try around the house since they felt pretty decent in the store, but one foot had some heel lift that I'm concerned about. I wore a pair of meindl denali's last year which performed pretty well until the 3rd day when I got searing pain around the ball of my foot and still can't feel my big toe after that.

Ordered a pair of lowa tibet's to try but they haven't arrived yet, considering trying some schnees and crispi's.

BluMtn

WKR
For the last four seasons I have been wearing Hanwag Tatra Top GTXs. I have a narrow foot and these boots have not given me any problems. I wear them for summer hiking and also for hunting. This year deer hunting in Montana it was in the teens at night, but would warm up to low 30s during the day, which meant that your boots would get wet and muddy during the day and freeze solid during the night. Our warming tent was never warm enough to really dry anything out so for the entire time we were hunting our boots were either frozen or the outsides were wet. I never got wet on the inside or once I walked far enough to get the insides warm I never had an issue with my feet getting cold. When these wear out I will probably get another pair. I also have a pair of Hanwag ALASKA GTXs that I wear for casual and I really like those also.

westdraw

FNG
An update - I figured out why my feet are so damn hard to find a boot for... I have Haglund's. While I've never gotten the pain associated with it, its definitely there. Which also explains why my left foot always seems to slip, as its worse on my left.... I figured it was due to my left foot being the smaller of the two.

Its looking like a long uphill to find a boot thats gonna fit

I have this condition as well. I haven’t trialed as many boots as you have but have found that a stiff boot just does not work for me. Unfortunately the Salamon have been the best to my feet but they just aren’t even close to holding water out. When you find a boot that works, let Us know!

I have been using a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX for 4 years now. Zero complaints, comfortable, waterproof, and with some good cold weather socks, I have hunted in single digit temperatures with no problems even though they are un-insulated. The heel design makes heel slip almost impossible and they have saved me from many a toe and ankle injury in the mountains. It sounds like you are trying some out. I will say they can be a little stiff at the beginning but they are worth the break in period.

lkwoolsey

WKR
I have the Lowa Tibet GTX Hi. I love them. They've done well for me through three seasons now, and those were long seasons (August to about March, and backpacking in the spring and summer.) They've kept me dry in WA's constant rain and through creek crossings. I treat them with Sno-seal about 2x a year, which seems to keep the leather conditioned well.
Keep in mind I clean my boots after every outing, probably excessively. But, I don't have the kind of money to be buying new boots very often so I make these ones last.
They fit me personally very well. I have pretty flat feet so I threw some super feet insoles in them, and they provide plenty of support. The Hi version definitely has tons of ankle support; they are pretty heavy though.
Not sure if this helps any. I love the Tibets, solid boot, and very comfortable.