Boot stretching

ptarmigan

FNG
I'm pretty sure that after I turned 40 my feet "grew", especially my right one. My Kenetreks fit perfect last year and now my right boot is tight, especially in it's width. I'm wondering if the rubber rand allows for them to be stretched at all. If nothing else I'll bring them to a boot shop and give it a shot. Anybody have luck getting them (or similar boots) stretched?

My feet did the same, it’s just your arches flattening as you age. Not sure about stretching a boot with a rand. My feet went up a whole size when it was all said and done so I was forced to replace boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
I had a pair of crisis guides stretched this year. They also have a rubber rand. Worked great for me w out any issues.

FlyGuy

WKR
Kenetrek can do some stretching for you. I had to send mine in for repairs after I left them to dry out next to the fire just a little too long. I had some blisters on my heals that I talked to them about, and after sending them pictures of my feet and location of the blisters, they stretched them out in the heal area to better fit my foot's profile. Give their customer service a call.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

You can stretch a rubber rand boot. They will actually heat up the glue attaching the rand to the leather so the leather can stretch. Otherwise the rubber will not allow the leather to stay stretched, it will return to it's original shape. I was nervous about doing this to brand new boots but no problems. I also recommend going through kennetrek, as I think they use Carter's Boots of Bozeman - and that's who' stretched several of my boots and they did a great job. At least just make sure you go to a qualified boot shop - I've had other shops say it couldn't be done.

Also - I agree with the arches collapsing idea - but your boot leather will also just shrink up if you don't use a boot tree - or like I do - stuff newspaper in the toe of the boots while storing. And if you soak them and dry them with heat they will shrink worse obviously.

Last edited:
OP
P

ptarmigan

FNG
I spoke with a local boot shop here in Anchorage. They said they can do it but they have to "boil" the boot to soften the rand. I'll admit that it sounds like some awful torture to inflict on my boot, but if it works it's better than buying new boots or wrecking my feet.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm pretty sure that after I turned 40 my feet "grew", especially my right one. My Kenetreks fit perfect last year and now my right boot is tight, especially in it's width. I'm wondering if the rubber rand allows for them to be stretched at all. If nothing else I'll bring them to a boot shop and give it a shot. Anybody have luck getting them (or similar boots) stretched?

Same here. I have some boot stretchers I picked up on Amazon. Amazon.com: FootFitter Premium Professional Boot Stretcher for Stretching Hiking / Work Boots (Women's Small 3.5 - 6): Shoes I stretched out my Asolo 520's and it worked great. You need to get the boot stretching oil which helps as it dries the boots hold their position better with it. I put them in for a week and it did the trick for me no more issues.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Same here. I have some boot stretchers I picked up on Amazon. Amazon.com: FootFitter Premium Professional Boot Stretcher for Stretching Hiking / Work Boots (Women's Small 3.5 - 6): Shoes I stretched out my Asolo 520's and it worked great. You need to get the boot stretching oil which helps as it dries the boots hold their position better with it. I put them in for a week and it did the trick for me no more issues.

Does the boot stretching oil still work with treated boots? I just Snosealed my Lowas, wondering if it would just repel the oil or not. Are you able to focus on the toe box with the stretcher, or does it do the whole boot?

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider

Do you leave this in all the time if you aren’t wearing your boots or was it a one time/week thing?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Do you leave this in all the time if you aren’t wearing your boots or was it a one time/week thing?

One time week thing once you use the stretchers and the leather softener it stays in place.