Insoles?

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never added aftermarket insoles to my footwear. I’ve seen a whole lot of threads on insoles and that they can help with foot problems, aiding in arch support, or adding volume so an otherwise larger boot fits better. I think I have a pretty average foot-most brands all fit me fine and I think my arches are pretty average too. Am I missing out? Would my boots be that much better with some? Are “stock” insoles generally lousy?

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Akicita

WKR
I've had the good fortune and great privilege of using and performing R&D on some of the best duty, hiking and mountaineering boots in the world - However the first thing I do when they are sent to me is take the stock insoles out and go to my local REI to find the best fitting Super Feet insoles for the particular boot. Occasionally I have to take them (the Super Feet insoles) to a local boot fitter for a custom cork underlay but usually the two most common styles for me will work. I can only recall one pair of boots that came with an insole worthy of my feet of to be left in but I still had to underlay the heel and arch with a cork for a perfect fit. I will say I have tried other insoles with great success however it just so happens that there is a REI close to me and they have a display of test and fit Super Feet to try in the store.

My best advice is to have your new boots professionally fitted and determine your Pronation vs Supination by an expert. Then find the right insole for you to adjust as close to a perfect "stacked" alignment stance as you can get.

My best advice is to be sure you have a proper fit and then go with any stiffer/ rigid insole. It will require more break in time but in my experience it is more important to condition your foot to the boot.

Last edited:
You will only know if you have been missing out by trying some insoles. For years, I only used insoles to add volume so that a boot would fit me. Until I started running and back pack hunting more did I see the need for such additional costs. One would think that a $200 boot would have great insoles but truth is that you can do better. A lot is personal preference and foot type. I am sure there are a lot of folks out there who can put high mileage in a pair of boots with stock insoles but with a better insole would do it and have more enjoyable trips with less foot fatigue.
I will agree with Akicita on the Super feet. I started using them when I started running and now have them in most all of my footwear. I have good things to say about the Sof Soles as well.
Go somewhere to try some and see if you feel a difference.

Note that when using Super Feet (or any insole) don't size them according to the overall length of the insole. Size them according to the position of your arch. Stand on various sizes of insole, and see which one best conforms to the arch of your foot. Then, use that one, even if it means that you need to trim it substantially to fit in your boot.

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
This is definitely interesting information. I’ve worn boots for many years, both work and hunting. I’m certainly intrigued at how much different folks like them/feel they help regarding more comfort. I’d be curious if there are many people who have tried these different insoles and went back to the stock ones...don’t read much about that.

Akicita- You seem to prefer the stiffer insoles, is there any particular reason? I saw a review of the Lathrop and Sons “gelish” ones that spoke highly of them, but they’re definitely a long ways from stiff. Just curious for your preference for the stiffer ones.

BearLodge- I DEFINITELY agree that when spending hundreds of dollars on footwear, one should be able to expect a quality insole. I suppose some might compare that to buying a shelter that will leak in rain unless you seam seal it...

ssssnake- Thank you for the suggestion on figuring out the arch location and trimming from there. Definitely makes sense and probably not something I’d have thought to check out specifically.

Jeremy

I am no expert, but I have tried two aftermarket insoles- Lathrop & Sons and Superfeet Greens. Like you, I have medium arches and my feet aren't too picky with fit.

Both insoles were way better than stock insoles. However, the L&S work better for my feet. I like the cushioning way better, and although they look like just a flat piece of gel they still add good support. The Superfeet heel seemed a little too pronounced or high for my needs, and I got hot spots on my feet with the lack of cushioning.

Akicita and Bearlodge, what model of Superfeet do you prefer? I'm curious now if there's a better option out there than the green ones.

Akicita and Bearlodge, what model of Superfeet do you prefer? I'm curious now if there's a better option out there than the green ones.

Ridge Ghost,
I started with Superfeet Green because of my low arch and swear by them for all of my running shoes. However, I use the merino Gray in my insulated boots I use to snowshoe. I recently picked up a couple of extra pairs of them at Cabelas because they were such a good price and have them in my work shoes and my new hikers just to break them in. Yes, they are warmer and seem to have a little more cushion in the heel. I have also used the guide series. These are thinner but work for me in a pair of trail hikers.
hope that helps
Go Griz!!

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Found a co-worker who does some meaningful backpacking trips and he tried some superfeet (I think he said orange) in his Asolo boots. He liked the cushion on his forefoot but ended up with hot spots on his heels. He felt that the heel on the insoles were thick enough that it lifted his heels out of the cup on his boots. He’d never had a problem before that and went back to the stock ones. He added that if the insole fit the given boot, it likely wouldn’t be an issue and would provide a little more comfort over the stock insoles. If he had to do things over, he said he’d take his boots to REI and check the insoles against the thickness of the stock ones so it didn’t adjust the fit too much.

I’ve got some new boots arriving today. Hopefully they fit/feel good and then I’ll have to figure out if I want to spend the extra money and try a different insole. Thanks again for all the comments.

Jeremy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I didn't like the L&S Synergy gel insoles. Gel sounds great, but they slid around and bunched up inside the boots especially side-hilling. They also don't have arch support built into them, two flaps just fold up to fit the boot. I have found the Superfeet Orange to work the best for my feet. I have them in three different boots.......two Zamberlan's and one Crispi.

Akicita

WKR
Akicita- You seem to prefer the stiffer insoles, is there any particular reason? I saw a review of the Lathrop and Sons “gelish” ones that spoke highly of them, but they’re definitely a long ways from stiff. Just curious for your preference for the stiffer ones.
something I’d have thought to check out specifically.

Jeremy

In the steep rocky talus and scree fields that I frequent it is important for me that my feet do not flex or shift inside my boots while side hilling, climbing or descending. Soft insoles tend to allow some foot shifting which leads to hot spots and blisters. Cushioned insoles also tend to allow small degrees of over pronation and over distance causes knee and ankle pain for me. They also tend to cause me to to "toe grip" (curl my toes) which causes calf strain and pain to the balls of my feet and 5th metatarsal. It does require you to condition your foot to the boot and not the boot to your foot which I find makes for happier feet.

Akicita

WKR

My feet and stacking alignment prefer the Orange with most heavy hiking and mountaineering boots. I also have several boots with the Carbon and all of my alpine ski and ski mountaineering boots have a custom insole built on the foundation of the Super Feet red. . . This is subjective to my foot profile and arch and will not be the same for everyone. You need to determine your foot profile, pronation /supination, and arch height to select the right one for you.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll use either green or black Superfeet, depending on the fit of the boot, both are on the firmer side- black is slightly less volume (if boots are slightly tight)

wear your boots and try a few pairs in the store

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
It looked like Cabela’s carries the synergy footbeds online, I’m curious if they do in the store. I’ve got one nearby as well as an REI. I think I’ll try to go over sometime and see how a few of the different ones feel in my boots and go from there. I think it’s interesting how a few people have mentioned the heel on the superfeet causing some hot spots because of the different position it puts their foot in inside the boot. I guess it goes to show the footwear and feet inside them vary greatly. I definitely don’t want the L&S ones if they move around and bunch up inside the boot....that’d be enough to drive anyone crazy trying to hike in the hills. Hadn’t heard someone with that experience until this thread, but good to know.

I’ve heen wearing my new boots around the house for a few days now and finally cut off the tags. I think I’ll wear them outside for the first time today and continue doing so until I can get to the hills. Thanks again to everyone.

Jeremy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I definitely don’t want the L&S ones if they move around and bunch up inside the boot....that’d be enough to drive anyone crazy trying to hike in the hills. Hadn’t heard someone with that experience until this thread, but good to know.

They told me they had a bad batch which would slide, so they sent me a new pair.......which promptly did the same thing as the other ones.

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
5MilesBack-
That’s too bad-and frustrating, I’m sure. Can I ask how they slipped or what direction? Was it something that was pretty isolated to downhill and then bunching up at the toe? Or did they just move all over? What boots were they in? Just curious if it had anything to do with a more flexible boot vs a stiff one, etc? Thanks for sharing your experience with them.

Jeremy

I’ve never added aftermarket insoles to my footwear. I’ve seen a whole lot of threads on insoles and that they can help with foot problems, aiding in arch support, or adding volume so an otherwise larger boot fits better. I think I have a pretty average foot-most brands all fit me fine and I think my arches are pretty average too. Am I missing out? Would my boots be that much better with some? Are “stock” insoles generally lousy?

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

super feet hunt series is what i tried this year, the trail, guide and hunt. all three were as advertised and performed accordingly. put around 250 miles on them used the trail spring through summer, guide in early fall with a few uses in summer to experiment, was great then as well but prefered the trail with warm temps and the hunt version come colder temps, used in snow etc.... was a game changer for me. all three performed as advertised and will be in my boots for now on...... good luck.....

csorthofeet

Banned
Best insoles ever

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy
I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and was given some insoles by my podiatrist. The insoles did not work in all my shoes and I got blisters on my heels. I was in a lot of pain and could not exercise or even go for a walk. I saw an ad for orthofeet insoles online and I was interested. I was so excited to get my pair because of all the great reviews and I was hopeful that they would work for me also. From day 1 they were amazing, so comfortable, no pain when walking or exercising. My plantar fasciitis has even improved and now I am interested in trying different orthofeet styles not just for exercise.

LostArra

WKR
They told me they had a bad batch which would slide, so they sent me a new pair.......which promptly did the same thing as the other ones.

I had similar experience with Synergy. Gel does not work for me.

For years I used to think after-market insoles were a racket. My feet did fine with decent boots. Then about the time I started receiving AARP junk mail my feet started changing. Plantar fasciitis. Other sore spots. Rolled ankles in good boots. I’ve become a believer because with various insoles my foot problems are gone.

Healthatpain.com. Their insoles cured my plantar fasciitis but the high arch rolled my ankle. Now I’m in Superfeet green or black based on boot volume.

When it comes to feet everyone is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk