Good hiking boots for Morton’s Neuroma

I have beaten my legs and feet up pretty badly in my previous career and am now paying the price for my foolishness. I will not let pain stand in the way of having a great hunt though. I have Morton’s Neuroma and also arthritis in both of my feet and wear Keen boots on a daily basis for work. I also have bought a pair of Scarpa R EVO GTX which from what I could find, were marketed at a mid weight hiker. They seem to be more of a 3/4 shank mid/heavy hiker. I have hiked many miles through the Ozark hills on Keen boots with fairly good (nearly pain free) results. Those hikes through the Ozarks are generally limited to a day pack and climber stand which would probably only top out around 30-35 pounds between them. My questions are these
Do any of you have a similar foot condition? ( I’m pretty sure I heard Janis Putelis talking about this on a meateater podcast but can’t find it again, so I sent him a message but not sure if I will get a response)
Do you have any recommendations for boots that would work with heavier loads?

Unfortunately I don’t think the Scarpas will work since they seem too rigid, but after I finish breaking them in I will make my official decision. I think I need a tall boot with good ankle support that also has a softer sole. Maybe keens are my best answer but I just want to find out what my options are for a boot that is proven to help carry a big load without making me wish I had done a pre-trip corticosteroid injection.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I sure hope you find something that works for you. My wife had that exact diagnosis a few years back. She’s a tough one-pretty much refuses to go to a doctor unless she absolutely has to. She just “pushes through”. She finally went in and had to have surgery for the neuroma. She’d wake up at night in serious pain and it just got progressively worse. Since the surgery, she hasn’t had any problems.

Jeremy

Akicita

WKR
Lowa Zephyr GTX Hi - They take some miles to break in but should be a good balance of toe box room and support for your Morton's Neuroma. You may also want to consider some Sole Ultra Softec heat molded insoles.

OP
J
Anyone hiked with a trail runner style boot with heavy loads and had good results? I know that a heavier boot is better for side hilling and extreme angles but I might end up having to run two types up boots to keep from having a flare up while out on my hunt.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I have used trail running boots for hunting for about the last 10 years, with a lot of heavy loads and successful backpack hunts. I have a nerve condition that results in deteriorated myelin sheaths and extremely high arches; and therefore high ankle roll risk. I used to use the Inov-8 400 390 mostly, also some Merrel's and La Sportiva thrown in. Most recently I have been using the Hoka Tor Ultra High and love it. It has a taller stack height than I like for off trail use, but otherwise it's about perfect for me. I have also had good luck with the Altra Lone Peak Neoshell Mid.

I firmly believe that--for me--using lower profile, zero or minimal drop hiking shoes (instead of heavy mountain boots) has made my ankles and feet stronger and bought me years of future mountain hunting. I started out using La Sportiva and Kayland mountaineering boots and would feel like the boot was pounding my foot into submission all the time. I'd roll my ankles often and now almost never do. Two years ago I had to backpack hunt in my ice climbing boots because I had a broken metatarsal, and while it protected my metatarsal, the rest of my feet were toast when I got done packing out an elk.

Last edited:

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I should add that I didn't jump into light hikers for heavy loads cold turkey. There were a lot of mountain miles from just hiking and summer backpacking to adjust. I now wear trail runners for all summer hiking and that helps build and maintain strength. A couple of years ago I did 50 miles in a day through the Gros Ventre Wilderness. No way I could have done that in boots. Not one blister, not one ankle roll.

OP
J
I have put in quite a few 10-15 mile days on Keen and Danner boots with a climber and day pack. I also had years of nearly continuous hiking/rucking with 100+ pound loads. Those days are probably the reason why I have issues now. My feet are always conditioned for the miles but if I can cover those miles without searing pain in a pair of softer soles then I think I will be able to keep hiking for more years.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I have that condition on my left foot. I had bunion surgery on my right foot several years ago and its getting to the point where I need to start hiking about surgery on my left foot. Recently went to a Orthopedic who prescribed inserts with Neuroma pads. He also said that the Morton's is caused (in my case) by the toes getting crowded in from the bunion. It takes some use to get used to those pads, but they really help in reducing that sensation of having a pebble in your shoe.

I am also severely flat footed so I need really stiff soles to support my feet. Currently searching for a new pair of boot for my feet.

Have you found any boots that work with your mortons neuroma? Im tired of spending $100s of dollars for boots that make me cringe every step. Can swing the surgery at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have second toe capsulitis on left foot. Believe it's very similar to Morton's. The only boots I can speak to are the Selewa Mtn Lite Trainer. Very round, open toe box...which greatly helps NOT crowd toes. Best boot I've found so far. But these are EXTREMELY light. Offer much more support than casual hiker. But I cannot endorse these as Be All, End All hunting boots.

I also swapped in Sole insoles...which helped tremendously.

My casual shoe is an Altra Lone Peak 4 trail running shoe. Ugly AF. But life saver. Huge toe box and zero drop. Really takes the pressure off that portion of the foot and helps spread both toes and weight out much better.