Cold feet

PredatorX

WKR
I'm getting real tired of cold feet when on stand. At about 0 degrees or slightly higher I can only make it about 2.5 to 3 hours on stand before I give up. I've used muklucks, bunny boots and ice breaker boot blankets. I'm going to try the boot blanket with a heat pack in it over the bunny or muklucks. I use deluths trading warmest sock but one one pair. I have plenty of room in the boots. I also need to carpet the stand I think.

I don't get it. Maybe they are all rated for moving around in. I really don't want to go the thermacell route. I'm trying to harvest animals with minimal technology usage.

What do you guys use for the cold sits?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

P.J.

FNG
Funny you posted this, as I had planned on started a thread about cold weather boots--

I live in Indiana and need something new to hunt late season with, especially something to do long, late season sits where 0 to 15 degrees is the norm.

I am looking for a boot that will work in a tree stand and on the ice should I lose my mind and decide to take up ice fishing again--

I don't spend as much time outside in the cold as I use to, so being aclimated naturally, just isn't an option.

I have an old pair of Mickey Mouse boots, and those are somewhat ok, but their footbed/tread sucks, and they are just too damn short to wear in the snow-

I'm all ears for a cold weather boot as well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
look at the Schnee Extreme boots- I had a pair for work (snowmobile patrols) and used them for ice fishing and cold duck blinds- a really (really) warm boot

https://schnees.com/extreme/

you want boots like that to be just a little larger than normal, a tight boot will restrict blood flow- the last thing you want in frigid weather and pair them with a thick, warm wool sock

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
White bunny boots with adhesive Grabber Toe warmers stuck on before I go out. I have been out to -10 all week. Works great.

danarnold

WKR
I definitely have the same issue, ended up getting these in a size larger than I wear and use good wool loose fitting socks, for 0 weather I’ll use adhesive foot warmers. Big difference with just the boots tho. Found them on eBay for 80$ shipped
4a847a3da041f24b14df1f0e576327fa.jpg

Mt Al

WKR
Has anyone tried aerogel insoles? I haven't, heard they really helped cold feet.

I don't tree stand hunt but do some ground stands. I stand on my glassing seat, layer of 7/8" foam that keeps my boots off the snow. Really helps a lot.

Shraggs

WKR
Last few years I may have figured it out, for me anyway. My two warmest boots lacrosse extreme pft and the 1500 alpha burly are very warm but like you I froze eventually.

While testing boots in the winter I noticed I can stay out forever... finally figured out that I dampen my socks enough on the walk in.

Now, I walk in a pair of lightly insulated socks, then change into fresh socks when I get to stand or blind. One wicking and one wool and put the others in a zip lock and into pack. This has made a huge difference for me.

The other thing I noticed is the rubber on boots gets as cold as steel. So I also carry the artic shield boot blankets to put over and block wind, don't even need a heat pack. I like these better than the ice breaker cause they roll up and fit in a pack better and I can feel sure footed up high in a stand.

I will be out tomorrow, temps expected in single digits!

EastMT

WKR
I work in some pretty cold weather, and no joke the Baffins will make your feet hot at 30 deg, I really don't like wearing them until it approaches zero, but can work all day at -40 but we don't see those temps too often lately.

In the bottom of their boots there is a layer of the metallic bubble insulation, on top of that is a waffle insole that creates an air space between the liner and bottom piece. I think this is what is really effective, sort of a double pane glass effect.

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

frankrb3

WKR
Bunny Boots, also called VB boots (vapor barrier) work best if you can get your feet hot and sweaty. They're designed to trap the heat and moisture produced by your feet during activity like hiking, skiing, snowshoeing. If you're going a short distance straight to your stand you may not be getting them warm enough. If you still own the bunny boots try going for a mile hike before heading to your stand. I know it sounds dumb but it will warm your feet and then the boots will stay toasty for hours.

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
Bunny Boots, also called VB boots (vapor barrier) work best if you can get your feet hot and sweaty. They're designed to trap the heat and moisture produced by your feet during activity like hiking, skiing, snowshoeing. If you're going a short distance straight to your stand you may not be getting them warm enough. If you still own the bunny boots try going for a mile hike before heading to your stand. I know it sounds dumb but it will warm your feet and then the boots will stay toasty for hours.
Wow I had never heard or thought of this before! It just so happens that my stand was super close so I know they did not get a chance to get hot and sweaty. Did seem to make sense with the sealed insulation.

Akicita

WKR
I'm getting real tired of cold feet when on stand. At about 0 degrees or slightly higher I can only make it about 2.5 to 3 hours on stand before I give up. I've used muklucks, bunny boots and ice breaker boot blankets. I'm going to try the boot blanket with a heat pack in it over the bunny or muklucks. I use deluths trading warmest sock but one one pair. I have plenty of room in the boots. I also need to carpet the stand I think.

I don't get it. Maybe they are all rated for moving around in. I really don't want to go the thermacell route. I'm trying to harvest animals with minimal technology usage.

What do you guys use for the cold sits?

I don't do any stand hunting but I do spend a lot of idle time in mountain approach camps, base camps, high alpine hunting camps and mountaineering summits and I can certainly relate to having cold feet during inactivity in very cold temps. My recommendation would be to hike into your stand with your regular footwear and then change into dry socks with a down bootie and expedition foam insulated or down over boot. I use to use the system in the video link below with the Outdoor Research Brooks Range Over boots (no longer made) pictured but have since switched to the Western Mountaineering Expedition Down Boot (bottom picture). Wind proof and water resistant they have proven to be ultra warm around camp and while resting idle. You can find the OR boots used but they are about a pound and a half. The WM boots compress down small and weigh maybe a pound or a little less

[video=youtube;_ygDLGpK6hE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ygDLGpK6hE&t=81s[/video]

CH4OyGR.jpg

llBDPUj.jpg

Last edited:

265fps

FNG
Try compression socks, they made all the difference for me.

I would like to know more about these. What style and brands work best for you. My wife has to use these for work to increase blood flow in her legs and feet.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
My wife is a rural mail carrier and drives an old right hand drive jeep that has to be the hardest vehicle in the world to find parts for. That being said the heat isn't the best so she got a pair of made in China heated insoles and wears those in her Baffins and her feet stay warm all day. I intend on picking some up for next hunting season as it's -14 here in northern Michigan on the last day of the season.

frankrb3

WKR
Wow I had never heard or thought of this before! It just so happens that my stand was super close so I know they did not get a chance to get hot and sweaty. Did seem to make sense with the sealed insulation.

Yup. Just make sure the upper part of the boot lacing system is relatively tight to create a seal around your ankle and also make sure the airborne valve is closed. I have both the white and black bunny boots. I believe whites are rated to -60 and blacks are rated to -40. Keep in mind that's probably not a "comfort rating" since they're military boots. More like a "my toes might not be black and gangrene from frost bite rating."

Also, don't change your socks if they get sweaty while wearing the bunny boots. That would be good advice in boots that breathe but is exactly what you don't want to do in the vapor barrier boots. Keep those feet sweaty and let the bunnies seal in the flavor.

Last edited:
I would like to know more about these. What style and brands work best for you. My wife has to use these for work to increase blood flow in her legs and feet.

I have pair from rei, can’t remember the brand, but they go up and over the calf snugly. There are some that just cover the calf with no foot, which i might try next. First lite makes some too.

Before i started using them my feet got cold very easily. Now i can troop around in ankle deep snow with uninsulated boots and midweight socks (over the compression socks) and remain comfortable, when before i would have to keep moving to stay on the edge of almost too cold. Its amazing what proper blood flow can do!

lak2004

WKR
I don't do any stand hunting but I do spend a lot of idle time in mountain approach camps, base camps, high alpine hunting camps and mountaineering summits and I can certainly relate to having cold feet during inactivity in very cold temps. My recommendation would be to hike into your stand with your regular footwear and then change into dry socks with a down bootie and expedition foam insulated or down over boot. I use to use the system in the video link below with the Outdoor Research Brooks Range Over boots (no longer made) pictured but have since switched to the Western Mountaineering Expedition Down Boot (bottom picture). Wind proof and water resistant they have proven to be ultra warm around camp and while resting idle. You can find the OR boots used but they are about a pound and a half. The WM boots compress down small and weigh maybe a pound or a little less

[video=youtube;_ygDLGpK6hE]

CH4OyGR.jpg

llBDPUj.jpg
Old thread I know, but I'm wondering if you wear these over your boots?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk