Warmest Boots That Are Hiking Worthy

treillw

WKR
What would you folks recommend for a really warm boot that you can still hike a lot of miles in?

Hunting Scenario:
Temp ranges from -30 to +30
Walking anywhere from 1 to 15 miles
Snow likely - need respectable traction
Hopefully packing some meat

Hunting in the late season is tricky - you walk anywhere and you are sweating, you sit anywhere and you are dying in the sub zero temperatures. I guess the same applies to boots; once your feet are wet, it's over. What have you done that has worked for you?

Thanks!

I’ve had Schnee’s Hunters down to 0F and was perfectly comfortable both walking and sitting. Can’t comment on their performance much colder than that but they claim to be rated down to -20F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out the Schnees new line and Granite vi with 600 gr and Kennetrek mt extreme with 400gr both great boots at that low temp you note it will depend on how warm your feet run as I would need some toe warmers at that temp

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Kenetrek Mountain extremes with 400 gr and an awesome sock. Just gotta keep moving in temps as low as -30

blackdawg

WKR
Great thread, I notice that Kenetreck also has a Mountain Extreme 1000 gram boot.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I’ve had Schnee’s Hunters down to 0F and was perfectly comfortable both walking and sitting. Can’t comment on their performance much colder than that but they claim to be rated down to -20F.

How are pac boots for walking in snow? Some of them I've seen don't have the greatest soles.

ChrisS

WKR
I rarely hunt below 5F. But if you're sitting for long after strenuous hiking, I don't think any boot is going to work for that in <0 temps. I'd think you'd better off getting an moderately insulated boot and some down booties with chemical warmers for sitting for any length of time.

My feet run pretty hot when hiking and I don't wear insulated boots until I get into subzero temps (which is usually ice fishing and I'm not walking all that far so pac-boots do the trick).

Kotaman

WKR
If I'm hiking I can get below zero with 200 grams. If I'm stopping and glassing, I need a little more. Cabelas has the Meindl Ultralites in a variety of weights. I have the 1000 g. I use for coyote hunting when it gets REALLY cold and they work great. The best thing you can do in your scenario is change socks and put on some boot blankets when you stop to sit. Wet socks from sweating is usually the culprit for cold feet.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I rarely hunt below 5F. But if you're sitting for long after strenuous hiking, I don't think any boot is going to work for that in <0 temps. I'd think you'd better off getting an moderately insulated boot and some down booties with chemical warmers for sitting for any length of time.

My feet run pretty hot when hiking and I don't wear insulated boots until I get into subzero temps (which is usually ice fishing and I'm not walking all that far so pac-boots do the trick).

Thanks. Any recommendations on down booty brands? :rolleyes:

How are pac boots for walking in snow? Some of them I've seen don't have the greatest soles.

If there’s snow, the pac is probably the boot I wear. Soles are soft enough rubber that stays supple in the cold. Haven’t had any trouble with grip at all.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

we had early (and heavy) snow that stayed almost our entire elk season (five weeks) this past fall and wore my now 20 year old Schnee pacs almost exclusively- 8-14 miles a day in deep snow and rough terrain- never a blister or even hot spot

I have the tall ones, so no need for gaiters- the liners are taller as well, which add to warmth

the air bob soles were made for traveling in snow

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What would you folks recommend for a really warm boot that you can still hike a lot of miles in?

Hello. As with what others have said, our Hunter II's were built with long winter hikes in mind. Many...many miles have been put on them here in Montana without fail. I would check them out. If you are looking for a Mountain Boot, our Granite VI is a beast. It has 600g insulation and should also fit your needs well. It is however a stiffer boot, meant for steep terrain, side hilling and packing out heavy loads.

Cgeb

WKR
I guess it depends on the term hiking. I have 2000 gram Lacrosse boots, warm but stuffed pac-boots size. I wouldn't think of walking further than my stand in them, but great for sitting all day. I have some 1000 gram Wolverine boots not bad for hiking short distances, but if I was going to walk most of the day I would probably go with my uninsulted goretex Lowas. I sized them up one size for thicker socks. I have several pairs of Aslo and Scarpas they are very comfortable but uninsulated. I think as the insulation goes up the comfort/lightness/ease of walking goes down.

I don't find my feet getting very cold while I'm walking, it's when I stop. If your the same, you might look into a pair of boot covers like the Arctic Shield type If you need extra warmth while your stopped. Also, I can't recommend enough a few good pairs of high wool content socks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

I used to walk miles in the snow in CO late seasons with my old Sorels, but they have a good Vibram sole. When your feet are buried beneath the snow all day while hiking, they will definitely get cold if not insulated well.