Crispi vs Irish Setter

Need boot help!

Hey all, Thanks in advance for your responses. I am looking at getting new boots. On a bit of a budget but I am looking for a good all weather boot. I figure some insulation could be good for late season but not sure if it would be too hot for early season archery hunts. I have tried Danner's and they do not fit my foot well. Any thoughts or recommendations? Has anyone owned the Crispi West Rivers The Irish Setter Ravine is on sale at Cabelas currently and quite a bit cheaper than the others.

Men's Elk Tracker 12-inch GORE-TEX(R) Boot 880 Hunt | Irish Setter

Men's Ravine 7-inch UltraDry™ Boot 2888 Hunt | Irish Setter

Men's Crispi West River Gore-Tex Hunting Boot

Drew

Last edited:

Texarican

FNG
In for feedback. Midway USA has ravines on clearance as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
I have the earlier version of the Elk Trackers. I think the model # is 860. They have been great. I have narrow ankles, and have rolled my ankles many times. So much so that it shows up on X-rays. The Elk Trackers have a "hinge" about half way up the laces that works well for me and I get good ankle support. I have had these boots about 10 years and they have held up well. I have a brand new pair in the box waiting for my old pair to wear out.
I don't know anything about the Crispis.

YMMV.

MNBill

I tried on some Irish Setter boots and they were very comfortable but the reviews were not good for the tread. One guy said that he broke them in before a hunt and the tread was worn off by the end of a 10 day hunt. I have a pair of the "shed Hunters" which I just wear as a general hiking shoe and really like them although the tread is also wearing faster than on other boots.

I am happy with the feel of the Crispi and would recommend them. I went un insulated for rifle season and was comfortable. I would not use an insulated boot in archery season.

Keep and eye on the classifieds for used boot, they come up on occasion and a lightly used high end boot might be a better investment than something that will wear out more quickly.

DavePwns

WKR
Buy a quality pair used off ebay or Craigslist, a lot of times people will buy an expensive pair of boots for a couple hikes and never use them again and sell them due to need of some quick cash

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went with the elk tracker this year and have been really really happy. I went un insulated and never had a problem with cold feet. I am currently wearing them everyday at work and have had no issues with the air bob tread and this tread provided much better traction than my kenetrek hardscrabbles. I'll throw this out for whatever it's worth but for me, boots that have a rubber rand around the outside (which seems every hunting boot has and is 400 bucks plus) just don't allow your feet to move at all especially going downhill. The elk trackers all leather construction allow the outside of your foot and toes to stretch a bit. They obviously wouldn't hold up as well as the rubber randed boots on shale and rocky slides but if I had to pay 200 bucks every year for super comfy feet, I could live with that. And the price is mucho good!

Randy

Btaylor

WKR
No experience with those boots but have a pair of vapor treks and a pair of Irish setter snake boots. Snake boots are 6-7 years old now and still going strong. Vapor treks have worked well for me in CO.

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
i use the elk trackers for work.. i end up buying a new pair every other year because the sole will wear down, but the sole is softer than most so in return they are very comfortable. i work in a freezer where it is -20 deg so i buy the 1000g ones and they keep my feet warm. i have used them for hunting in the snow and they do keep your feet dry.