Who has switched to a Synthetic Boot from Leather: Pros and Cons

HeadnWest

WKR
I am boot shopping this year for a new pair of archery elk hunting boots. I am thinking of making the switch to a synthetic boot; La Sportiva Cube, Lowa Irox or Cirspi Thor.

Just wondering for those who have made the switch from a leather boot to a synthetic boot if you can comment on the pros and cons. What advantages have you experienced with a synthetic boot? Thanks for any information shared.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I actually have made the switch the opposite way. I do a large amount of horn hunting in the spring (cover close to 150 miles over 3 months) and for the longest time wore the Asolo Fugitive GTX. Horn hunting is where I cover the most ground (15-20 miles a day). I was gifted a pair of the Asolo TPS GV Evo Hiking Boot and tossed the Fugitives after a few trips out. The biggest thing I noticed was that the Fugitive was unforgiving. If they got wet, they dried hard, and it took a few miles on my next trip for them to loosen them up so that they weren't hurting my feet. With the TPS GV Evos, there was a consistent snug fit every time and even if they go soaked, they were tolerable to wear my next trip out.

My TPS GV Evos wore out last fall, so I am currently breaking in the 8" Hoffman Explorer by Hoffman Boots in Kellogg, Idaho. Decided to give the local guys a shot and I have been thoroughly impressed.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
To me the pros of synthetic uppers are primarily weight and in some cases quicker drying, though there's more to that than the upper material. The big con is they consistently wear out more quickly.