Asolo Stiffness Comparison

GAPointer

FNG
Hey folks,
I'm looking to upgrade my boots. I currently hike around North Ga mountains so I want to get a pair that will be good for that kind of thing since that's what I do most of, but I'd like to be able to use that same pair on the chance I get to hunt out west for the first time this year (antelope, mule deer, or elk).

My current pair of boots are an old pair of Lowa Focus GTX which are not very stiff. They give the balls of my feet hot spots and the bony part of the top of my feet hurt for days after a long hike.

So today I went to REI and tried on the Lowa Renegades and the Asolo TPS 520. Both were comfortable but the Renegades were fairly flexible while I get the Asolos were pretty darn stiff. Is that an accurate statement? I don't have a lot of boot experience to compare it to but was wondering if there was a good boot that is in between these two regarding stiffness? I've looked into the Lowa Caminos but not sure.

If any Eastern guys have been in the same boat, id love to hear other options.

Any help is appreciated guys. Thank you!

Luked

WKR
I wear a pair of Asolo Powermatics had them for a few years and they were similar to what the 520s are now. they are a pretty stiff boot but not stiff like a full out Mountaineering boot. I like mine but amd going to try some Lowa Tibet GTX this year.
I have had my Asolo for almost 3 years now I think and they are starting to loose their waterproofing now some. so its time for something new

OP
G

GAPointer

FNG
I've heard good things about the Tibets, are they stiffer than the 520s?

I can't imagine walking in a boot that was stiffer but that just shows you my inexperience with all this, ha!

Firehawk

WKR
I have some Renegades and do NOT like them on the hills in my neck of the woods. They are not stiff enough. When you side hill across a slope, you need some stiffness in the sole to be able to keep your foot as stable as possible. The Lowa Tibets are great for this. That said, I find them heavy for most of what I do. I have an Asolo Neutron GTX that gives a terrific balance of stiffness, weight and general comfort for my feet. Unless there is over 4-5" of snow on the ground, I will likely be wearing my Asolos. If I am carrying a heavy pack on steep slopes with little to no trail, the Tibet is great for my feet. The Asolo is very doable in this arena too, but when the load gets heavy, the Lowas do a better job. Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with the Asolo 520 that you have requested information about.

When the snow piles up, I lace up my Crispi Guide GTX for their insulating factor and comfortable fit while providing a reasonable stiff sole for steep slopes I am used to frequenting.

Obviously, the most important thing is that your feet fit properly in the boot, but assuming that is the case, a reasonably stiff sole helps a lot when sidehilling in steep country. And for me the Lowa Renegade does NOT fit that bill. Mine have been relegated to wearing for work during snowy days in the city or light hikes.

FH

Beendare

WKR
I think thats accurate. The couple models of solos- all leather and mesh- were a bit stiffer.

For some folks, a less flexible footbed with the right insole is easier on your feet especially when backpacking.

OP
G

GAPointer

FNG
I gotcha. Thank you for the replies.

So I guess the Asolo 520s would be a fairly decent mountain boot with its level of stiffness.

I just don't have much experience with boot fitting but they felt comfortable just walking around REI. I'm not sure what else I could look for to make sure they are the right fit.

KMT

WKR
The asolo 520s have the stiffest soles of any boot at my local REI. Personally, I like a stiffer boot when having a pack or hiking in steep or rocky terrain.