Cleaning boots - blood stains?

Now that I have a new pair of premium boots (Crispi) I’m wanting to really take care of them. I got them pretty bloody a couple nights ago cleaning a buck for one of my hunters and I’m wondering about cleaning them properly. I use oxyclean to get blood stains out of my clothes and it works great; but I’m wondering if it can be used safely of a good pair of leather boots?

I do have some boot cleaner from Crispi I’m going to try but I wondered about using the Oxy first. I want to make sure I don’t degrade the leather or the stitching.

What do you use for getting blood (and other stains) off your nubuck leather boots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Nothing but water and wear......

So, maybe scrub it with a little water and a brush or just let wear itself out?

Crispi advised me, when I bought them, that cleaning them would make them last longer and ensure they didn’t start leaking. Just trying to turn over a new leaf. Lol! I pretty much wear my boots about 280-300 days a year so I’m really trying to start out right with these. Took me 2 weeks to have some guts slip out of my hands and plop right down on my nice new, and incredibly comfortable boots! Lol!

frankrb3

WKR
Blood stains on leather boots? I don't think it's going to hurt anything but I guess you could just take a warm cloth soaked in hot water and wipe them down. Only thing I do with my kenetreks is add more boot wax whenever they seem to need it. I was standing in my elks guts at one point this fall and it didn't worry me at all.

Takem

WKR
I use hydrogen peroxide for my pack and other gear. Works great. I've never tried it on leather boots but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Spray a little on if it's bubbling it's working.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
I leave them it adds character.

Yeah, I could care less what they look like. I just haven’t even put an waterproofing on them yet and wanted to clean them before I did that. Aesthetics means nothing to me but I was reading that dirt and grime can work it’s way down into the stitching on boots and eventually wear on the thread. Also, dirt can dry out the leather and make it degrade more quickly. That’s why keeping them clean is, supposedly, the way to get more life out of your boots. <—-THAT’S my only concern!

Akicita

WKR
For blood stains on leather I use Equal part of water and white vinegar. My wife uses a paste of cornstarch and water. We both wash our boots or leather goods after with Marseille soap and let them air dry. We follow up with a treatment of Hestra's leather balm or Bear lard (when we have it).

Last edited:

Jardo

WKR
Hot water sets a blood stain. Always use cold water to remove blood. This is true on clothing and game bags as well. Hose em off, maybe a soft brush but that should remove the stains. Use a wax based boot wax when dry. Never use petroleum or mink oil. It will cause the cement in the rubber rand to degrade leading to separation of the rand from the boot. I like kennetrek boot wax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TauPhi111

WKR
I will second the hydrogen peroxide. It just works. Here's what you need to do. Get some of the 3% hydrogen peroxide you see in the brown bottle at the grocery store. Put some of that in a spray bottle, and just spray it on the blood stain. It'll foam up. When it's done foaming (just takes a minute or two) rinse it off. Should take the blood right out, especially if it is fresh. I would then re-wax that area of my boots. Don't leave the peroxide on the boots and forget about it. Peroxide is an oxidizer and the 3% stuff is so weak that once probably won't hurt your boots, but doing that over and over might degrade the leather over time.