Salomon Quest 4d 3 GTX

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking at the new Salomon also.. what I can tell is there is a new tread that I think will solve the slipping in wet conditions that a lot of people have a problem with... and it looks like they changed the upper portion of the opening.

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking at the new Salomon also.. what I can tell is there is a new tread that I think will solve the slipping in wet conditions that a lot of people have a problem with... and it looks like they changed the upper portion of the opening.

Just took a second look and noticed the new tread pattern and the change in opening.

I was looking at getting a pair but read some reviews about them not actually being waterproof. Have y’all heard of or experienced this? How are they for stiffness? I’m looking to get a pair of boots for my first elk hunt this fall in Colorado.

grfox92

WKR
I was looking at getting a pair but read some reviews about them not actually being waterproof. Have y’all heard of or experienced this? How are they for stiffness? I’m looking to get a pair of boots for my first elk hunt this fall in Colorado.
Most comfortable boots I've ever worn but became completely not waterproof after 5 months of light intermittent use. Also had the sole starting to separate from the boot.

Salamon sent me a new pair and I sold them.

Tons of guys have gotten 3 years and no issues out of them. They didn't work for me unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
Just got mine...they r very comfortable...will c how long they last
879d785557ebd9bba325b6b36d894522.jpg
9912778f10419457be3a593cc540829f.jpg
57d28c64ea32ab7834a9edd267232861.jpg
d937150bf347462e07b368d810ac1978.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Bought a pair late fall of '17 and love them. Not quite stiff enough for constant side hilling, but great for 99% of where I go. Hope they stay waterproof for a while. I use them about 4x per month, nothing too gnarly, and they're working fine. I guess we'll see how they last.

Most comfortable boot ive ever owned. Not waterproof at all but can be conditioned to be water "resistant". I put a ton of miles on in generally up and down scenarios which are usually dry so its a worthwhile tradeoff. On my third pair now, if i need waterproof i wear the meindls. Awesome boot that i absolutely beat the tar out of and cant complain one bit. Might not be the toughest, but if i get 150 or more miles out of a boot this comfortable, im satisfied.

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds great. Im ordering a pair early March and will either give them a good break in before heading to the Grand Canyon in April or take a lighter pair of Salomons.

Beendare

WKR
I was looking at getting a pair but read some reviews about them not actually being waterproof. Have y’all heard of or experienced this? How are they for stiffness?

I posted this trick here and a couple other spots many months ago and I can't tell you how many PM's I've had thanking me saying this works great.
Waterproof?

They are about the same as any other mesh panel boot I've owned for the last 30 years- they leak after hard use for me about the one year mark is avg.

Easy to make these water proof. Mix a solution of 100% clear silicone [bathroom sealant] with mineral spirits making a slurry about the consistency of house paint. Use a little paint brush and seal all of the mesh areas, leather and seams of your boots.

My Solomans have now done a Kodiak trip where it rained every day....and going on 9 months are still watertight. Works like a champ! The best part is not having to get rid of broken in boots.....seems like you just get any of these mesh panel boots the way you like em...and they leak. Problem solved.

westdraw

FNG
I posted this trick here and a couple other spots many months ago and I can't tell you how many PM's I've had thanking me saying this works great.
Waterproof?

They are about the same as any other mesh panel boot I've owned for the last 30 years- they leak after hard use for me about the one year mark is avg.

Easy to make these water proof. Mix a solution of 100% clear silicone [bathroom sealant] with mineral spirits making a slurry about the consistency of house paint. Use a little paint brush and seal all of the mesh areas, leather and seams of your boots.

My Solomans have now done a Kodiak trip where it rained every day....and going on 9 months are still watertight. Works like a champ! The best part is not having to get rid of broken in boots.....seems like you just get any of these mesh panel boots the way you like em...and they leak. Problem solved.

Just curious if there is any breathability left in the boot or does your foot sweat noticeably more after this mod?

Beendare

WKR
Just curious if there is any breathability left in the boot or does your foot sweat noticeably more after this mod?

I can't tell a difference....and the many comments i've gotten all rave about it. Do your feet stay powdery dry in a GT boot? heck no....at least nobody i've ever known that actually hikes with them has dry feet. The GT can't dissipate the moisture fast enough when you are sweating hard.

FWIW, My feet don't sweat any more than they already did. What really sucked eggs is having cold water seep in when standing in the muck.

Don't do it until they leak....what have you got to lose?

westdraw

FNG
I can't tell a difference....and the many comments i've gotten all rave about it. Do your feet stay powdery dry in a GT boot? heck no....at least nobody i've ever known that actually hikes with them has dry feet. The GT can't dissipate the moisture fast enough when you are sweating hard.

FWIW, My feet don't sweat any more than they already did. What really sucked eggs is having cold water seep in when standing in the muck.

Don't do it until they leak....what have you got to lose?

Really can't argue there! May just have to give this a go. I gave away my old pair as they were a size too small and wasn't sure if I should get them again. But they just fit my feet which is not easy for me to find.

Thanks for the response.

wildcat33

WKR

They are great boots for a first elk hunt. The quality and durability is in line with the price (low), but they are light and easy on the feet. Mine are 2 seasons old and still waterproof. Stiffness is perfect for a hunt below treeline.