Ankle support needed

DFB

FNG
I recently spent a few days chasing Javelina around the Coronado. I had a great time and enjoyed a peaceful week of camping and glassing. I didn’t enjoy my sore ankles. I’m currently wearing Salomon 3D GTX. I’ve worn them on a few hunts and noticed a little ankle soreness after the first 5-10 miles but it wasn’t too severe. This time it was quite painful. I don’t think it was the climbs as my shins and calf’s did great. I think my issue was the constant rolling of my ankles on the baseball to basketball sized rocks. Am I on the right path? Do I need a more ankle supportive boot? If so, which would you recommend? Thank you in advance.

msummer88

FNG
Think stiff. I haven't worn the Salomon's before so I can't comment on what you're using now. I've found in really rough country even taller boots that aren't stiff will still not give me enough support, I'll still get the feeling that I'm going to roll something. Lanthrope, Scarpa, and Salewa are a few I'd look at that offer a really good stiff boot.

Good luck!

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished an aoudad hunt last weekend with some crazy terrain and packed out an aoudad in very rocky, steep, sketchy terrain. My Crispi Nevadas did great. No ankle soreness, no twisted ankles, and no hot spots or blisters. Would highly recommend.

Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will second the Nevadas provide excellent ankle support 👍 I have an issue with ankles as well from prior basketball issues and those boots are great for excellent support.

I think the Salomons you have are 6 inches tall which doesn't provide the height to give adequate ankle support. I would recommend either the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme or the Crispi Hunter GTX which is 12 inches tall, or the Crispi Guide which is 10". I couldn't get the right fit in the Kenetrek, so I now have the Crispi Hunters. They all offer lots of ankle support.

Owenst7

WKR
You said "constant" rolling of your ankles, which makes me think you may have an injury or something.

I don't use my boots to support my ankles as much as I need them to be supportive enough to lean in to the sole and ankle when I'm sidehilling. When I do the same hikes in shoes, the sole will roll and I have to bend my ankle to allow me to plant my foot flat against the dirt with the slope of the hill. I get to dig the side of my boot in to the hill and keep my ankle straight with good boots on, which is more about reducing potential for falling than anything else. It also keep's me from skinning up my ankle bone if I go for a slide too. My boots do give me a slight bit of insurance on occasion if I almost fold my ankle, but a bad trip is probably still going to give me a sprain, although it will most likely be less severe than if I were in shoes.

I used to skateboard a lot as a preteen/early teenager, and I folded my left ankle about once a week to the point of severe bruising. I started seeing a physical therapist for that along with other injuries when I was 15. My left ankle had deteriorated from the repeated injuries that I would sprain it just walking around town on flat ground, stairs, etc. My physical therapist taught me a lot of strengthening methods and after a few years of primarily just avoiding bad posture, I don't really have issues anymore. As far as injury goes, I can do pretty much the same hikes in my flexible hiking shoes that I can in my boots. The boots are really just there to give me better footing on steep hills and protect me from impacts/abrasions. If you're depending on them for ankle protection, I think it'd be a good idea to look at gait/balance/strength improvement also as I think you'd see better results there. If you have a musculoskeletal issue, my understanding is it will usually develop it's way up in to your knees and even your back. At least that's what happened with me.

As far as boots go, I haven't worn your Salomons, although I've looked at them in the store before and thought they looked like a decent pair of boots that probably just wouldn't live as long a life as a pair of solid leather boots. I currently wear Schnee's Beartooth mids (which are only 6") and have been very happy with them. The only time I wish they were taller is for keeping my feet dry crossing creeks. Any of the mountaineering brands or high end hunting brands that you hear about on here frequently make good products from what I've seen. I personally think Schnee's newest line and Lathrop make the highest quality product that I've handled based on finish/lace hardware/construction. I hunt with some guys that are real happy with Kenetrek also, which I believe Sportsman's usually stocks. My girlfriend just started wearing some Asolo Fusions (think that's the model) and they are a great product for the price range so far. I'm sure they make a men's version that is probably in a similar price range to Salomon. Under Armor is another one I hear a lot of people talk about, and they seem to be supportive enough when I've glanced at them in STP. They look like they'd probably last about 100 miles or so, about the same as Solomons. La Sportiva and Vasque make some great boots too that you can almost always try on locally if you have an REI or similar hiking store.

Last edited:
OP
D

DFB

FNG
Didn’t think about but I could have some undiagnosed ankle issues. I’ve lifted weights (extra heavy) for a long time. The “constant” ankle turning was in part due to the terrain. It was like hiking on 1 million baseballs, softballs, and golf balls.

Didn’t think about but I could have some undiagnosed ankle issues. I’ve lifted weights (extra heavy) for a long time. The “constant” ankle turning was in part due to the terrain. It was like hiking on 1 million baseballs, softballs, and golf balls.

That's what I experienced up in NM unit 23 last month. Seems like most of SW NM is like that as well. It takes me about 3 days to become comfortable walking on those loose rocks. Your ankles will only get stronger and your balance better as you do it more. It's not only ankle strength and support but all of your core muscles and a bunch of hip flexor and low back muscles that you hardly ever use. Try walking on icy terrain for a day and see how many sore muscles you have in your hips/low back.
Do any of those boots suggested have an 8 inch height option? That might help. I had a pair of Danner Pronghorns that were 8 inches, I believe. Taller than your average hiking boots by about 2 or 3 inches. It was the only thing I liked about those boots though, so I don't recommend them.
As Owenst7 said, the ankles, knees, back are all related. One gets out of whack, and you're playing dominoes with your joints. Looking at me you'd never guess I was weak. I'm in better than average shape, can hike all day, etc. Mild nagging joint pain prompted me to get my body right. One session with a personal trainer and I was shocked how weak some muscle groups were and how imbalanced my strength was from one side to another. I'm now working with my trainer to fix those problems.
I hope that wasn't too many tangents...Good luck