Best lightweight boot

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a good, solid boot that will do steep stuff safely but still be light and durable. Thanks for the opinions.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I recently picked up a pair of 8" Hoffman Explorers from Hoffman Boots in Kellogg, Idaho and couldn't be happier. The boots are comfortable, take me up and down the hills of Hells Canyon, and are light enough to not ware me out. I have only been out in them 5 times so I cannot yet determine their durability, but Hoffman has one heck of a reputation in my area so I think I'm in good shape. They'd be worth looking into if you want something different than the norm.

Meindl Calk Boot - Hoffman Boots - For all your Boot Needs, kenetrek, schnees

Beendare

WKR
Those Soloman GTX's have been good for me. I get about 1 year out of the goretex before I have to do the seam seal treatment...then I get another year or more out of them.

Boots are so individual though....you really have to try them on to see what works for you.

I agree with Beendare, boots are very individual, and what works for one guy may not work for the next. I have worn, Meindl, Russell, Hanwag, Salewa, and Salomon. My Salomon boots are primarily for everyday wear and occasionally for backpacking and hunting, my first choice for those activities is Salewa.

Tyler Beck, I looked at the Hoffman boots, looks like they are just a rebadged Meindl, good brand, lots of people like them from Cabela's or other retailers.

OP
Pinewood

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Salomon Ultra GTX and I also have a pair of Scarpa Kinesis pro GTX. I get noticeable more fatigue with the Scarpa's. This comparison is what prompted me to ask on here. I guess what I am looking for is something that falls in between the two for ability but lighter than the Scarpas.

OP
Pinewood

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I am considering trying the Salomon mid Ultra for my high country archery but concerned they will not have enough support.

I have them, they are too soft for rocks, in my opinion. And not quite enough support. Thus, my search for something stiffer and tougher, but hopefully similar weight. They are nice and light. I wore them today for 5 miles and my feet were wet.

Pinewood,

I am looking at getting the Lowa Irox GTX boot which is 1lb-5oz but seems to be alot stiffer and more durable than the Salomon boots. There is a review on these boots in the Sticky section of this forum.

wyodan

WKR
The best lightweight boot I have tried is the Hanwag Mountain Light. Lathrop still has them listed on the website, although I am not positive if they still sell them. Very lightweight, however stiff enough for most anything I would ever encounter in the mountains.

HeadnWest

WKR
Pinewood,

I am looking at getting the Lowa Irox GTX boot which is 1lb-5oz but seems to be alot stiffer and more durable than the Salomon boots. There is a review on these boots in the Sticky section of this forum.

They are 1lbs 5oz. per boot. On Lowa Website they are 2lbs 10oz. = 2.6 lbs

But I do agree with you, I am interested in these boots as well.

Last edited:

jjd

FNG
I’m wanting to check out the new salomon x mtn alps and the mid version. Lightweight, supposed to be more laterally stiff than the 4d gtx but still light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACC

FNG
I’m wanting to check out the new salomon x mtn alps and the mid version. Lightweight, supposed to be more laterally stiff than the 4d gtx but still light.

Nice looking boot.

I can feel my wallet getting lighter also. :)

I'd like to see a review of these myself. I think the 4d's are the most overrated boot, but the best fit I've ever had in a hiker. If those alps fit the same they may be a winner.

Ronb

WKR
4d’s are very bulky. Consider the salewa crow. Or the scarpa zodiac plus. I’m gonna pick up the zodiacs this spring with my REI dividend. No more buying boots online. I can wear these all summer and if they don’t work out, just return them for something different.

La Sportiva Trango Cubes are a cut above most of the light "hiking" boots on the market. They aren't overly stiff but do have a mountaineering sole. I've spent a lot of time in mine from summer heat to October this year, and have no complaints. No leaking or anything. Salewa makes a light pair that's very similar, they're pretty good too. Both will outlast the Salomans at least 2:1 and have much better soles & shanks for steep terrain.

Also another light weight boot i'm looking at is the La Sportiva Trango TRX GTX. single boot weights 1lb-4oz and was extremely comfortable when I tried it on in REI. it was a little stiffer than Salomon, but not a lot; however, it does have Vibram sole.

I used the 4d's this year for the first time. Going from a pair of Keens so they were uber stiff compared to those. Feet still felt great after a week, unlike the keens. That's my only frame of reference other than an old crappy pair of Danner Pronghorns.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw one out there for you to look at. I was in a similar search recently and wound-up settling into the Crispi Summit GTX. Nice stiffness for my crappy ankles and still lightweight. Also, the waterproofing was amazing. We got drenched multiple times this past hunting season to go along with hiking through knee deep snow in September. I would look at the outside of those boots at the end of the day, just knowing my feet were drenched. But, those suckers were bone dry on the inside every time. Probably have 100 miles on them from this past season and they are awesome. Just my opinion but, you might take a look at these if you get a chance.