Meindl

I wanted to hear from those that really put their gear to the test. I got some great info from Wheres Bruce about a specific model but would like to hear from more. Most searches I have found are a bit old. It seems that these boots are losing in recent posts to Kennetrek, Schnees and Crispi.
I have also read some bad things regarding quality.

Would you take these boots to sheep country (meindl in general, or specifically dovre extreme model)? I am far away in my hunting development to go on a sheep hunt, but for being above treeline, and needing to strap on crampons for ice field crossing, has anyone used meindls for this and how did they hold up?

In my limited experience with alpine travel, I used a pair of hi teks, so am wondering how good, quality leather boots with a high shaft will hold up in these environments, as I have some adventures in mind for mountainous terrain later in the year. Would like something that can be in the snow, or on the ice or on rocks without getting into plastic boots, which I have used a few times.

Kennetrek and schnees are a no go, just too far away (I'm in Sweden)

Thanks

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

I bought my Meindl Denalis after going through a pair of boots every season. I bought mine in 2007 and still wear them today. Since then they’ve been on elk and deer hunts in Washington, Oregon, Montana and Colorado. Recently I used them during the last two seasons working for the forest service, putting almost 800 miles on them, both followed by wearing them all season from August to December for hunting adding another 600 or so miles in 2016 and 2017.

I try and put some boot conditioner on them at the beginning of the month and have ran the same pair of green superfeet insoles in them since I bought them.

I’d say I easily have several thousand miles on my boots and they are still in fantastic shape. I’ve replaced my boot laces and that’s about it.

OP
S
This is the Meindl I am looking at.
981061555f430e03be5126ed7d82cc50.jpg

OP
S
I bought my Meindl Denalis after going through a pair of boots every season. I bought mine in 2007 and still wear them today. Since then they’ve been on elk and deer hunts in Washington, Oregon, Montana and Colorado. Recently I used them during the last two seasons working for the forest service, putting almost 800 miles on them, both followed by wearing them all season from August to December for hunting adding another 600 or so miles in 2016 and 2017.

I try and put some boot conditioner on them at the beginning of the month and have ran the same pair of green superfeet insoles in them since I bought them.

I’d say I easily have several thousand miles on my boots and they are still in fantastic shape. I’ve replaced my boot laces and that’s about it.
Aside from the forest, have you had much use with them in rocky terrain?

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on my second pair of meindl and I love them. I wear them hunting, backpacking and for every day at work. First pair lasted 2 1/2 years and probably a thousand miles.

I like the fairly rigid sole, because I'm a big guy and with a pack I need support.

Never had a problem with them coming apart or anything. Rub some oil on them and they are quite waterproof. I've walked through ankle deep stream and no leaking.

I do hunt in some really rocky terrain and they grip well and do well side-hilling across rocks.

They are pretty comfortable right away for me, and get better with a little breaking in.

But shoes are different for everyone, so try them on to see if they fit. If they fit, its a really good boot in my opinion.

I have used Meindl, Hanwag, Kenetrek and Lowa, they all hold up well in all terrains, the meindls Alaska I had lasted me a couple years of hard abuse and I’d recommend that same pair to anyone. My Kenetrek flattened out quicker then my meindls under heavy loads so don’t worry about them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only experience I have is with the Meindl Perfekt Hiker. As mentioned above make sure they fit and feel good out of the box. I’m on my second pair in 12 years and still wear both pairs. Recently hunted in the La Sal mountains (very rocky) for 10 days helping to pack out five Elk in a pair I bought in 2013. Still waterproof and comfortable due to the fact that I replaced the insoles with the original Meindl ones. I highly recommend.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
The models in Europe are different than the ones we have here in the USA. This looks most similar to the Alaska hunter model. I used the Alaska hunters on a Tur hunt in Azerbaijan and it performed well. I also have used them extensively in New Mexico and Colorado in very rocky terrain ranging from volcanic rocks to super sharp limestone and have no complaints. I have used about 5 different models of Meindl boots over the years and they fit my feet well. I have had no complaints about any of them.
It really comes down to if they fit your feet well. I think they are comparable quality to the other brands you mentioned.

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
I like many others have been through a slew of other boots, and have found Meindl to be the only boots that work for my flat feet. I bought mine two years ago just a couple short weeks before doing the Wonderland trail on Mt. Ranier which is a nearly 100 mile hike with a pile of elevation gain ,and loss. With only two weeks of break in I had very minimal hot spots, and no rubbing. The same pair of boots now have two seasons on them, and through an assortment of mountain terrain both hunting, and backpacking they have held together very well. Meindl tend to run big, and wide so I wouldn't buy them where you couldn't give them a test run.

I’ve used them quite a bit on rocky terrain and during the last two summers I’ve been used them on a few wildland fires.

OP
S
Thanks for all the insights. I tried on those dovre extremes and they felt great for my feet in the store. I compared them with much more expensive models of Lundhags boots which reek of high quality, but were not as comfortable for my feet. Being incredibly satisfied with my shorter, slightly less robust Hanwag Tatra, I have ordered a pair of a stiff Hanwag Friction in order to try on and take to the store to compare the fit side by side with the Meindls. I have a 30 day open time to try and return the Hanwags. I am very curious to see how the Meindls compare to a stiff offering from Hanwag and which boot will feel better. Will update after trying on.

OP
S
I like many others have been through a slew of other boots, and have found Meindl to be the only boots that work for my flat feet. I bought mine two years ago just a couple short weeks before doing the Wonderland trail on Mt. Ranier which is a nearly 100 mile hike with a pile of elevation gain ,and loss. With only two weeks of break in I had very minimal hot spots, and no rubbing. The same pair of boots now have two seasons on them, and through an assortment of mountain terrain both hunting, and backpacking they have held together very well. Meindl tend to run big, and wide so I wouldn't buy them where you couldn't give them a test run.
Yeah, have to try on before committing. Luckily they are close by. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

The Meindl Perfek Hunters and Hikers as sold by Cabelas fit my bony heels perfectly. I’ve made 8 backpack hunt for BC Stone sheep in a pair. Also a NWT Dall sheep hunt in some real nasty slide rock. They fit me well and wear well. I’ve used this model of Meindl for about 25 years and do not see the drop in quality over the 4 pairs each of Hunters and Hikers I have. (Unlike some that some report diminished quality).

I do know that Meindl makes other models......they have a cheaper line for price point shoppers maybe that is what some complain about? Saw some $120 Cabelas branded ones not made in Germany with a lot of Cordura......doubt they are going to hold up like the all leather versions you are looking at or the Perfek line.

Good luck, hope you get a good fitting boot and a great sheep!

Diesel

WKR
I wear the all leather Perfkts. I have worn them everyday for 35 years. I have no idea how many pair I have worn out. They will hold up anywhere and the fit is fantastic. People laugh that this is the only shoes I own as I even wear them to weddings and funerals. I hunt them from up high in the west to the woods and mountains of Pennsylvania, all with excellent performance.

I love these boots so much that I always have a new pair sitting on reserve in the closet, just in case they became unobtainable for some reason.

Can't go wrong with Meindl high end boots. They run around 300 Georges now, but I am hooked for life.

BRWNBR

WKR
I have used the cabelas Alaska hunter ones for years. Mostly because I have wide feet and they come in a wide width. Boots are durable enough. My rubber rand will start to show rotting signs by the end of the season. They are crampon compatible. I love how stiff they are. The insoles are about like 3/4” plywood. I add a felt insole for a little cushion. They aren’t the worlds greats boot but they work well for the mountians. Typicallynwear them on three or four big mountian hunts a year. One pair usually lasts me a couple years. This year I snow sealed them about 8 times with a hair dryer andnthey softened up a little bit the leather looks alot
Better.

The Meindl Perfek Hunters and Hikers as sold by Cabelas fit my bony heels perfectly. I’ve made 8 backpack hunt for BC Stone sheep in a pair. Also a NWT Dall sheep hunt in some real nasty slide rock. They fit me well and wear well. I’ve used this model of Meindl for about 25 years and do not see the drop in quality over the 4 pairs each of Hunters and Hikers I have. (Unlike some that some report diminished quality).

+1 for me. I love my Meindl Perfek HUnters. I will not leave home without them. They have done well for me too.

OP
S
I ended up getting a pair of Hanwag Friction and brought them to the store to compare side by side with the Meindl dovre. I ended up keeping the Hanwags. They are stiff as hell, but in a good way and just fit my feet a little better. I had a hard time to decide. Too bad I cant climb a mountain first and then decide. I wore them this morning on a hike, and feel as though I made the right choice, although the Meindl would probably have been fine also. I dont know. For a lighter boot for not so demanding terrain, the tatras have stood the test so far. Hard to know yet. If I decide for another option later, that meindl dovre will be the next one I try. Really wish I had an REI here to take more time with trying out different boots.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Hanwags are excellent as well. I own both brands but I have 3 pair of Hanwags, and only 1 Meindle. Most state that the European Meindle is of better quality as we get limited versions to our market from both manufacturers. I own the Alaskan Hunter that look similar to the ones you pictured above and they work fine for me. Most Meindles run a little wide for me but the Alaskan Hunter fits my low volume foot pretty well with aid of their cork insole. I've bought at least one other pair of Meindles that were just too cavernous for my foot. I've bought 4 pair of Hanwags and sold one even though it was a good boot - it ran a little narrow for me.

As you can see and as previously mentioned, the fit is the most important part of your boot search. Also years of knowing what type of terrain you'll cover and the stiffness you need and prefer.

Good luck and don't regret your Hanwag purchase they should do great for you!

I've tried importing Dovre Extremes to the states and it's too big of a hassle. I have the Cabela's Alaskans and Perfekt hikers, and have had the Denalis and they are made in Germany, excellent quality. Boots are entirely subjective but they are one of the only boots that fit my fat feet and I love them. That's my $.02

OP
S
Hanwags are excellent as well. I own both brands but I have 3 pair of Hanwags, and only 1 Meindle. Most state that the European Meindle is of better quality as we get limited versions to our market from both manufacturers. I own the Alaskan Hunter that look similar to the ones you pictured above and they work fine for me. Most Meindles run a little wide for me but the Alaskan Hunter fits my low volume foot pretty well with aid of their cork insole. I've bought at least one other pair of Meindles that were just too cavernous for my foot. I've bought 4 pair of Hanwags and sold one even though it was a good boot - it ran a little narrow for me.

As you can see and as previously mentioned, the fit is the most important part of your boot search. Also years of knowing what type of terrain you'll cover and the stiffness you need and prefer.

Good luck and don't regret your Hanwag purchase they should do great for you!
Yeah so far so good. I have done 3 hikes so far, and they are better each time. No real mountains in the area buy plenty of hills and going over uneven blowdown laden terrain, with these stiff boots it feels like I could go through anything. Excited to get them in the mountains this spring.