Crispi Briksdal GTX Semi-Live Review

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
2e1b7b46178ca85520b20183bd90879d.jpg

Hey everyone! My Crispi Briksdal GTX boots just arrived in the mail that I will be using for the next couple of months shed hunting, bear hunting, training hikes and a Mexico sheep hunt next month. This is a boot that was actually released for 2017 but never really got pushed. This year they have 2 different flex variances for this boot they are releasing... the Briksdal GTX is rated a 4 flex and the Briksdal SF (Stiff Flex) GTX rated at a 5 flex.

I'm a big fan of stiff boots, but I felt my high country early season boot was a little too much for the lower elk terrain. I first looked at the Crispi Thor after Tony had reviewed it, when I came across the Briksdals. Some things that really stood out to me was it was a 4 flex, looked like a mountaineering boot with the more narrow fit in the toe box, I liked the lacing design how it tapers down and I loved the lacing system. At sheep show I swung by the booth to try a pair on in Reno and right away they fit like I hoped they would. Narrow heel and still narrow in the toe box but still comfortable. For reference they are more roomy than the Scarpa Charmoz and less roomy than the Crispi Wyoming/Idaho. They feel very torsionally stiff which I love given a low ankle sprain a couple years ago, they are still pretty dang stiff but they have good rocker in the toe area that doesn't make them feel like frankenstein boots on flat ground.. at least in the show area. They also have 200g of insulation that will be perfect for the chilly mornings and evenings. Kendall said they breath extremely well because of how the insulation is integrated, so on the Mexico sheep hunt I will test that out.

I have the 2017 version of the GTX boot that is Black with red accents. Moving forward for 2018 the GTX (like mine) will be brown in color and the stiffer SF GTX will be black with orange accents. I got the 2017 version to have them as soon as possible, but the only difference will be the color between the 2017-2018 version of the GTX.

As I use them I will keep the thread updated!

Briksdal SF - http://https://www.crispius.com/footwear/insulated-boots/briksdal-sf-gtx

Briksdal GTX - http://https://www.crispius.com/footwear/insulated-boots/briksdal-gtx

Last edited by a moderator:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If 200 gms doesn’t overheat you in Mexico, they gotta be pretty breathable. Let us know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRWNBR

WKR
I wanted to get into the SF’s as I need a stiff boot for where I hunt. But no wide widths. Crap.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
These caught my eye when they were released. If my feet weren't always hot I'd have tried them already but insulation in boots is something I rarely use. I'll be curious how you like them.

HeadnWest

WKR
These caught my eye when they were released. If my feet weren't always hot I'd have tried them already but insulation in boots is something I rarely use. I'll be curious how you like them.

Agreed! I wish they made a non-insulated version of this boot.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd be more interested in a non GTX leather lined version of these. GTX just makes my feet sweat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Went for some backpack cardio in these today. Probably 4 Miles total up and back.. both on a road and up a steep hill on a trail. I felt it was a good start for them. I got a tiny bit of heel rub on my right foot.. not so much rub as just pressure. After I re-laced it was fine, but I didn’t hike a lot longer after that to see if it would restart again. I still have the Crispi insoles in them, and while they’re good, I think I’m going to switch. Probably the super feet orange or guides... input??

It was 32 degrees and the 200g of insulation was just fine. I didn’t feel like my feet sweat very bad and I felt they breathed well. I also sat for about an hour and glassed and my feet didn’t get chilly.

a203844c887d3f28ebc7b484d3dfec14.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Keep it coming Jordan, btw, the closest I got to cardio today was reading your post.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haven't had a ton of the time in the last couple of weeks to hike a lot in these but I have a little. I replaced the insoles with SuperFeet Guides. Same as I use in my other boots and so far I haven't noticed any pressure on my heel like before. We bounce to Mexico Monday for the Desert Sheep hunt and I'm bringing these with me for sure. Like I said before it will be an awesome test on breath-ability for them in the hot weather. Super pumped to finally hunt in them!

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well the Mexico deal was a little short lived, but we got one killed! The temperatures were mid 70’s and while the boots did get warm I thought they breathed well. My feet never got real sweaty to where slipping was an issue. The Guide insole switch really helped my heel pressure I had before. The terrain is super rocky and steep. I really felt like the 4 flex was stiff enough for the terrain for me, and I like a stiff boot. No ankle problems. The tread was great for the rocks, I didn’t have any troubles with gripping. Extremely happy with them!

6c2248a56f47dbcef38b9a8503b15afb.jpg

3a56e11ec5ab1f51403b289c81f57624.jpg
395298811ecbb5a2b8d196301354d525.jpg

Tiger Rag

WKR
Keep us posted on these. I just called Crispi this week on that boot. Looks like the new ones will be in around April. I like my wilds ( earlier version of wild rock) - super comfortable and warm but definitely not stiff enough. Now I'm confused whether to get the 4 or 5 in stiffness though. Salewa Raven is my mountain boot of choice. Looking for the next greatest thing though.... And not having dayglow colors would be nice!

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep us posted on these. I just called Crispi this week on that boot. Looks like the new ones will be in around April. I like my wilds ( earlier version of wild rock) - super comfortable and warm but definitely not stiff enough. Now I'm confused whether to get the 4 or 5 in stiffness though. Salewa Raven is my mountain boot of choice. Looking for the next greatest thing though.... And not having dayglow colors would be nice!

For sure! Hoping to get some more time in them soon with shed hunting and such. They are really the exact boot I’ve been looking for. I love the lacing system and the width. I went with the 4’s because I wanted a little more flex than my Trango Cubes for elk hunting. And the 200g insulation will be awesome for the colder mornings later in October.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Getting ready to dive into the final review on these if anyone has any specific questions!

c7c31d61ca40a2af24a3709305f17113.jpg
1b498cafb45fcd71aaec1ad6eb29492c.jpg

Tiger Rag

WKR
I ordered a set over the weekend only to have them call Monday to say their inventory was off. They're going to call me when the new inventory gets in from Italy. I may adjust my order to the stiff (5 flex) ones at that point. Still debating that.

How wide is the heel pocket Jordan? A little sloppy or fairly precise?

Last edited:
OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ordered a set over the weekend only to have them call Monday to say their inventory was off. They're going to call me when the new inventory gets in from Italy. I may adjust my order to the s sigh ones at that point. Still debating that.

How wide is the heel pocket Jordan? A little sloppy or fairly precise?

It’s pretty narrow. For me it was really precise. And the ABSS in the ankle kinda cups around your ankle and seems to help hold the heel in as well.