Need Recomendations for High End Mountain hunting boot in size 14 3E (wide)

wtrfwlnut

FNG
So I'm a little disappointed. I took the plunge on a pair of Crispi Idaho GTX Boots in size 14. I was reluctant to buy them because they don't make the 14's in the wider widths. The gentleman at BlackOvis convinced me that they run kind of wide, so I went for it. In preparation for my backpack hunt this past season, I used them a number of times in training. Maybe a dozen times or so both taking long walks in the sidewalk with weight on my back and some trail training also. Well, there is no two ways about it, they hurt my feet. I tried to tough it out but to me foot comfort is the most important thing on long hikes (or close to the top if not #1). I ended up wearing my old Danner Pronghorns in 14 3E and had comfort on the trail but sacrificed the extra ankle support that I felt I was getting from the Crispi's (and perhaps a slight weight difference). So now I'm wondering if there are boots of the Crispi or Kenetrek caliber in the size I need.

Any recommendations would be greatly welcome.

Oh, and I have a pair of Crispi Idaho GTX in size 14 (lightly used) that I may be willing to part with for much less than retail.

Thanks,

Chris

HeadnWest

WKR
You could always try out the Meindl Denali that Cabelas sells. They are a quality boot that comes in size 14EE. Just an option that popped into my head that would come in a wide size. Plus Cabelas has a very generous return policy.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kenetrek has wides I believe. Sportsman warehouse carries them if you have one close to try. Problem with most European boots is that they tend to run narrow

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Kenetrek has wides I believe. Sportsman warehouse carries them if you have one close to try. Problem with most European boots is that they tend to run narrow

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kennetrek does offer wide widths. Their office/showroom is right here in Bozeman. If you're ever on your way through, you can just drop in during the business day and they have every model and size available right there. I too am a 14 but, not necessarily needing the wider width. I have the Crispi Summit GTX that I use. I didn't want the extra weight of the Kennetrek's but, they are a solid boot. No doubt about it.

gelton

WKR
I have an extremely wide foot and Lowas have always been good to me and are offered in a wide - not sure if they do in size 14 though. I have tried the Schnees Beartooth version one in a wide but they were still too narrow.

Hmmmm. I am a 13 EEE. I ordered a pair of Crispi Idaho’s from Black ovis and they worked for me. I liked them and wanted to get a second set and caught a good Sale price, but Black Ovis sent me a pair that were not marked wide on the box or boots. When I put them on they were clearly more narrow than my first pair. I contacted someone there that tried to Jedi mind trick into believing the 2nd pair were really wides. Some crap about how they were mislabeled and “These are the boots your looking for”. They finally took them back and gave me a refund after a bunch of emailing and calling, but I was a little miffed that I didn’t Get the boots I paid for and they wouldn’t honor the sale price.

The point is, although black ovis generally do a good job, there is something whacky going on with them and trying to sell narrow Crispis to wide footed customers.

I was able to make Some asolos and Merrells work in wides with the right insoles. The asolo 520s and Merrell sawtoothes. Danner has been a longtime favorite as well but I agree they don’t make the most technical or comfortable boots.

BRWNBR

WKR
I’m also a wide footed guy but only in a size 10ee. I use cabelas Alaskan hunter by meindl and like them. I’m trying to find a more mountaineering boot in a wider width. But no ones web page seems to say and no one returns emails so far. Awesome.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not close to your size but some boots I’ve been eyeballing are Limmer boots and Hanwag’s

OP
W

wtrfwlnut

FNG
For the record, Kenetrek offers wide sizes....Just not up to 14, they stop with the wide's at 13...My quest for a good boot continues....Anyone want some Crispi Idaho's in 14 at less than the $369 I paid? Never been on a hunt

I'll check out the Limmer and Hanwag's ...Thanks!

My feet are your size, I feel your pain. I tried the meindl densali’s in 14EE and like them so much I bought 3 pairs. Not a perfect fit but the closest and most comfortable non customs I have ever tried. And they are crampon compatible.

I talked to the guys at lathrop and son’s and they assured me up and down that the lowa tibet in wide would be exactly what I needed, but EVERYTHING i have read on the internet about lowa tibets said thei wide was only a single E, so I decided against them.