Wide width mountaineering boots?

BRWNBR

WKR
Looking for a stiffer boot than my cabelas Alaskans, I see lots of great looking boots. But can’t find them in wide widths. I’m only a 10ee but everyone I’ve found only makes a D width. Anyone got ideas?

Looking for a stiffer boot than my cabelas Alaskans, I see lots of great looking boots. But can’t find them in wide widths. I’m only a 10ee but everyone I’ve found only makes a D width. Anyone got ideas?
Only thing off the top of my head, because I was thinking about the same thing recently, is one of the Hanwags in the alpine wide last, such as Friction II, or Sirius II, will be some of the stiffer options from them.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ll reach out to them and see what they’ve got. Scarpa,Zamberlan, don’t have wides.

I believe Schnee's said they could custom make a stiffer sole on their boots and I know they have wide widths in the Granite boots. May be worth a call or email.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I sent schee’s a email. I’d like to get away from a leather boot as they seem to stretch and loose stiffness after the second season. Stupid snowshoe feet.

Try BlackOvis. I got my Crispi Hunter GTX from them, they are size 11 Wide width. They are as stiff as the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes I had, and did not need the break-in time I put into the Kenetreks.

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
I used a pair of the crispi hunters on a goat hunt this past november,good boots no break in time needed really. give blackovis a call thats where i got mine,crispi wide width should get you to the EE your looking for.

Daubsnu1

FNG
I'm an 11 4E (EEEE). Went with Irish Setter Elk Trackers. Super comfy, and most of all, they fit.

Crispi is about the only option in a non-leather. There are a few specific models from some of the bigger name companies that people claim run wide and might work for you, but I need 6E width. The Crispi Idahos and Wyomings run wide and I am able to sort of wear the wide Idahos (they are probably a 4E). I've heard all the other Crispi wides run more like a 2E. I think Crispi now has a model that is pretty close to a true mountaineering boot after Aron pushed them to make one. Kennetrek also makes wide sizes, but aren't really mountaineering boots. I've come to the realization that I personally will have to just go with custom leather boots to get something to fit my foot.

tttoadman

WKR
I wear wides also. I have the La Sportiva Nepals. I have also heard that the Salewa boots have a generous width. It seams like most Mountaineering boots are built on a wide platform which is why they don't specifically offer wides. The Nepals which don't identify as wide are wider than my wide Lowa Hunters.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
How are the Nepal’s? I could head into rei and try some on and see how they fit.

I have read some great things about the Nepals. I just didnt have a place nearby to try them on.

Crispi is about the only option in a non-leather. There are a few specific models from some of the bigger name companies that people claim run wide and might work for you, but I need 6E width. The Crispi Idahos and Wyomings run wide and I am able to sort of wear the wide Idahos (they are probably a 4E). I've heard all the other Crispi wides run more like a 2E. I think Crispi now has a model that is pretty close to a true mountaineering boot after Aron pushed them to make one. Kennetrek also makes wide sizes, but aren't really mountaineering boots. I've come to the realization that I personally will have to just go with custom leather boots to get something to fit my foot.
I think Crispi has been doing the mountaineering thing a lot longer than that.

Maybe I am missing something, but the Crispi boots mentioned so far dont really strike me as mountaineering boots, something I was under the impression the OP was looking for.

I think Crispi has been doing the mountaineering thing a lot longer than that.

There ones in the US didn't have anything over a 3 on their own stiffness rating scale until this year. I guess it depends on your definition of mountaineering boot, but the OP specifically asked for stiff mountaineering boots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

There ones in the US didn't have anything over a 3 on their own stiffness rating scale until this year. I guess it depends on your definition of mountaineering boot, but the OP specifically asked for stiff mountaineering boots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sorry didnt know it was impossible to get a stiff mountaineering boot from crispi in the US until this year.

tttoadman

WKR
How are the Nepal’s? I could head into rei and try some on and see how they fit.

I think they redefine stiff boots. The pics of a guy standing flat footed stuck to an ice wall is pretty accurate. You have to walk at their pace. They are not going to break in and soften up. I got them before I picked up some Lowa Hunters. I needed insulated and guaranteed waterproof. I really like the snow collar on these. They are intended as an approach boot, so they are not heavily insulated. The Lowa Hunters are actually warmer than the Nepals for me. Not all the REI stores carry these. Call ahead first.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I currently have 200 grams insulation in my boots and that has been plenty. As much sidehilling and rock walking as I do I still need to be able to walk on flat ground. Do the Nepal’s stiffness allow for ankle flex forward and back for general walking motion?

tttoadman

WKR
I currently have 200 grams insulation in my boots and that has been plenty. As much sidehilling and rock walking as I do I still need to be able to walk on flat ground. Do the Nepal’s stiffness allow for ankle flex forward and back for general walking motion?
If I walk at a walking pace, I start to get heel lift. I have to walk slow and steady. I have learned to love these, but I don't think they are going to be comfortable for most people. Take a walk around the yard with ski boots on...These are closer to that than shoes.

I will put a plug in for these Hanwag frictions I just got, but take it with a grain of salt, as I have only done 3 different 5 mile hikes with them so far. They are the Friction model, and sometime back, someone mentioned here on rokslide that this would NOT be an approach boot. I would disagree, as the terrain I am on is what would be considered "approach" terrain and they are fine. They are a stiff boot, designed for the alpine, but in the forest I have been very pleased with them.