Going up a size in Lowa’s?

My feet are a full size 12 with lightweight socks. In sneakers, cowboy boots, insulated boots, and anything that has some stretch or give, a 12 fits me perfect though snug. On boots with a full rand and no insulation, 12’s are barely too tight and rub, giving me hot spots.

I tried a pair of Lowa Irox GTX mids, and am having this problem. The shape is great for my foot, but they are about 1/4” too short. Unfortunately they don’t offer them in a 12.5. Being that a lot of guys like to run Superfeet insoles, along with a heavier pair of wool socks and a liner, is it worth stepping up to a 13 and trying that combination?

I don’t want to buy boots that I will be swimming in and try to cram stuff into them to take up the space, but if they are things that add comfort and will result in a snug/proper fit, I’d like to give it a shot, rather than trying a different boot like the Ranger in a 12.5.

Unfortunately, there is nowhere around here that stocks mountain type boots, the best that can be found is the Salomon 4D, so it is an order/wait/try/exchange game.

OP
G
After looking at a shoe chart with actual measurements, it appears a 13 will work perfect. For some reason I had thought every half size was a full centimeter longer, but the difference from a 12 to 13 is only 5/16”.

Cgeb

WKR
I wear a 13 in just about everything, I went with a 14 in my lowa's and Im glad I did.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I find the European sizing to be more consistent across boot manufacturers, not always spot on, but I find them to be closer.

I generally use a 43 euro size boot and I’m pretty ok if I go with that as a general rule.

rm06

WKR
As a point of comparison, I wear a size 11 in most all footwear... until I purchased the Lowa Cevedale GTX Pros. I had to go from a 44 in the Tibet to a 45 in the Cevedale

OP
G
Thanks for the replies, I’m exchanging them for a 13 and optimistic they will fit well. I just didn’t want to buy them too large and try to stuff them full of things for a proper fit.

Akicita

WKR
I fit my boot length by where my 1st and 5th metatarsal lies in the sole. Sometimes this can be a full size and a half longer than my measured foot length. As long as I can seat my heal with good lacing and not trip over the extra length I go with what ever length allow the best fit in width. I will never go with a pair that my toe hits the front with a good swift kick to a stair riser, tree or rock. I am fortunate to have a straight shaped foot meaning my 5th metatarsal falls just behind my 1st and is considered average. My wife has a semi curved width and always requires a longer boot to place her 5th metatarsal in a good location in most soles.

VwYSgiq.png

Last edited:

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
In my experiences with Lowa they tend to run about a half size small. I normally wear an 11 but wear 11.5 in Lowa's. Great boots!
I might ad that I remove The Lowa insole and use superfeet trail insoles. Perfect fit for me.