What’s the cause of a hot spot

Steadman

WKR
Went for a hike today and got a hot spot on the ball of my foot? Never had this happen before. Anyone know why? I was wearing gore socks. Thanks

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
IME it’s from friction 9/10 times. Boots too big, laced improperly, multiple socks are the usual culprits.

Girly skin

Seriously - a loose fit will allow foot to move in the boot, causing rubbing or as stated above friction. This over time will create the blister or hot spot. Excessive rubbing or sliding of your foot.

OP
Steadman

Steadman

WKR
Haha girly foot. Probably it. Thanks guys. I’ll try lacing different or get smaller boots. I’ve just never had it on the bottom of my feet, always the heel.

Haha girly foot. Probably it. Thanks guys. I’ll try lacing different or get smaller boots. I’ve just never had it on the bottom of my feet, always the heel.

Before you buy a new set of boots, go to your local department store and buy a pair of insoles
Sometimes adding these can decrease the voids and help out.

wapitibob

WKR
My big toes will get hot spots if I use Superfeet insoles because they're slick and hard. Maybe swap out the insoles for gels. Dr Scholls athletic's are good, Lathrop will take up less volume than the Scholls.

DavePwns

WKR
I haven't tried them but thin hiking liner socks under your wool socks should reduce friction

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I think hikers really have the blister thing dialed.

Blister Prevention: Hiker, Heel Thyself - Backpacker

As someone said it is pressure and heat and a precursor to a blister. I have two spots on both feet that are issues for me. Ball of the foot and base of the heel. Proper fitting boots, good socks and lacing help but they tend to heat up in everything from flip flops to combat boots in the same spot. It’s a biomechanics thing. I can and have mitigated it with mole skin and duct tape (lukotape now) but the best thing is to play with your boots, insoles and socks to find some thing that reduces the issue. Keep you feet dry by swapping your socks out durn8ng Long breaks like a lunch stop.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I haven't tried them but thin hiking liner socks under your wool socks should reduce friction

I would definitely be using a poly liner sock under the merino socks. Just merino socks makes the bottom of my feet bright red and they feel like they're on fire the whole time.

frankrb3

WKR
Went for a hike today and got a hot spot on the ball of my foot? Never had this happen before. Anyone know why? I was wearing gore socks. Thanks

How far was the hike and what type of surface were you on? Hard flat surfaces like roads can cause the bottoms of my feet more pain than if I was hiking up a softer natural mountain side. Hikes in the marine corps always left my feet hurting for days because they were typically done on hard flat surfaces (roads) since the company commander was more concerned about hiking long distance than across actual off trail terrain. We also used boots that are far less comfortable than the kenetreks I have been running the last two years.

My big toes will get hot spots if I use Superfeet insoles because they're slick and hard. Maybe swap out the insoles for gels. Dr Scholls athletic's are good, Lathrop will take up less volume than the Scholls.
Yep I like the gel better than the super feet
Grips better for me

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Steadman

Steadman

WKR
Hike was on a mountain. I’m going to try the insoles. I usually have them in all of my shoes and boots for instep support. It was just weird never having a hot spot there then getting one on a short hike. Thanks again for all the responses it helps.

I"ve gotten some gnarly blisters on the balls of my feet during long rucks. I usually chalk it up to a few things:
1 - My feet got soft from not rucking enough! Fix this by rucking more and applying some tincture of benzoin to harden them up.
2 - Wearing sweaty socks for too long. This comes down to me being too tired/lazy to change them out during breaks. Had I changed once or twice.. even when I was feeling good early on I may have come out better
3 - Superfeet.. I like the insoles in general, but I do think they allow some slippage in certain boots for me. Contrast this to the Lathrop & Sons explanation of their gel insoles and it seems to make sense.
4 - All the things everyone else said about poor fitting boots, socks, and girly skin.

For prevention where I have to wear boots that have caused issues I use tincture of benzoin, luekotape, good socks, and often times a light dusting of powder. Also carry a small thing of Body Glide to lube up any hot spots that I may not need to tape up (it's great for groin, shoulders, feet, armpits, etc).