Scarpa

Barnesnbow

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering if anyone has experience with scarpa boots? I am looking for something with good support and stiffer style but not full blown mountaineer boots. Waterproof and breathability needed

nickstone

WKR
All of the different models have varying degrees of stiffness in the soles, most of the different models are built on different lasts and fit different.

Here's a link with some info on how different lasts/models fit, theres also info on soles. Is there a specific model you're looking at? Are there some other brands and models of boots you can throw out as a reference as to what you might think is too stiff or flexible?

I've had a couple different models of scarpa and currently have a pair of kinesis, they seem to be one of the wider models they make, and the sole is pretty stiff, but still has some flex to it.

carter33

WKR
Don't mean to hijack the thread but nickstone do you have any experience with the grand drus? Thinking they may be my next pair of boots. I do have a bit of a narrower foot. I have been using the lowa Tibet gtx his, great boot but wouldn't mind something even a little more stiff, also melted the front a bit trying to dry them one night.

I just got the Kinesis Pro GTX and really like them. They are pretty dang stiff but very comfortable right out of the box. I took a short four mile hike with them yesterday and they were great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Barnesnbow

Barnesnbow

Lil-Rokslider
I have kenetrek mountain extreme ni but my feet get way to hot in the warmer weather. I like the boots but just want something that breathes a little more

nickstone

WKR
Don't mean to hijack the thread but nickstone do you have any experience with the grand drus? Thinking they may be my next pair of boots. I do have a bit of a narrower foot. I have been using the lowa Tibet gtx his, great boot but wouldn't mind something even a little more stiff, also melted the front a bit trying to dry them one night.
Sorry I don't have any experience with the grand dru of the tibet. Asolo makes some pretty good boots that tend to run pretty narrow in my experience, you can usually find alot of their boots on Sierra Trading Post for pretty cheap too.

nickstone

WKR
I have kenetrek mountain extreme ni but my feet get way to hot in the warmer weather. I like the boots but just want something that breathes a little more

I have Kenetrek mountain extremes too. My Kenetreks are older and more broke in than my Kinesis, but I think that they are both pretty comparable in stiffness. I've never had an issue with my feet getting too hot in either of them, but both being solid leather it's probably not what your looking for.

I had Scarpa Triolet, that I wore mostly in warmer weather and they might have been a little cooler, but they were waaaay stiffer, and never really seemed to break in over time like the Kentreks did.

Mont Blanc GTX’s have been going strong for me for many years. Best mountaineering boots for my feet that I’ve ever worn. As soon as they die, I’ll be replacing them with the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
I have had Grand Drus for about a year now.
Pretty good.
They are quite WIDE in the toe box etc.
comfy fit, very waterproof, good stiffness for me. If you dont want a 'stiff' boot dont buy these.

My only complaint is the soft rubber sole, its grippy but wears quite fast and the rand is very soft and tears easily.

For the guy with a narrow foot look at Asolo, Asolo Granite/Aconcagua is an awesome mountain hunting boot, my favorite. The Asolo Ssaslong is about the same as a Lowa Tibet and a very good around boot.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just went to these Scarpas and so far they have been great. I only have about 12 miles in them, but I feel like I could have gone hunting in them on day one as they have had zero issues.

Attachments

• 6D51624F-6F7A-4C85-B996-5771E9A24BD8.jpg
    6D51624F-6F7A-4C85-B996-5771E9A24BD8.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 61
  • EEA644CC-6826-4174-929B-487E68D60AC5.jpg
    EEA644CC-6826-4174-929B-487E68D60AC5.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 57

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ran the Charmoz for a year and the toe box was just a bit too narrow for me to keep using them. They all fit a little different though I think. I'd like to try the Rebel for a slightly less stiff boot.

Akicita

WKR
Just wondering if anyone has experience with scarpa boots? I am looking for something with good support and stiffer style but not full blown mountaineer boots. Waterproof and breathability needed

I run the Zodiac Tech GTX, Triolet, Mont Blanc Pro GTX, Gran Dru and Phantom Tech. I would recommend the Zodiak Tech for for what you are asking and not knowing any more details about the terrain or load you will be using them for.

I am anxiously waiting for a pair of the Ribelle Tech OD to test. . . Might be my new favorite "Rocky Mountain" light and fast boot.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I tried the Charmoz for a little while last year. As Jordan mentioned, for my foot the toe box was small. It was okay on shorter stuff trying to break them in. Good breathability and stiff. I gave them a good break in period starting with short walks then 3-5 miles in them a few times. I did a a coastal backpacking trip close to 20 miles and I ended with some torn up little piggies. I went back to my backpacking boots I've had for a while for this last hunting season.