Anybody ever use 2 insoles?

kipper09

WKR
So I have a pair of zamberlan Tofane 1025 that I really really like. I been trying to sell them because the boot has a little too much volume in the front part of the boot. My forefoot slides around some and rubs the inside of my big toe. I haven’t had any luck selling them and recouping any money to try something different. I have tried new insoles and nothing seems to be working. Experimenting this evening I put superfeet green on top of the stock insoles and they actually feel pretty good. Has anybody ever done this? Is it a viable option, and does anyone have any experience? any input I would greatly appreciate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Yes. I did something similar in a pair of winter pack boots. I used flat wool power insoles and then put super feet on top. Worked fine.

Gumbo

WKR
I do it in my NI Kenetrek mountain extremes and hardscrabbles. Most any show store will have flat cushion dress shoe insoles that can be cut to size. They are pretty thin, without measuring I'd throw a ballpark of 1/16 inch out there. I run custom orthotics on top of those. It takes up just enough volume to allow me to keep my foot from sliding forward. It makes a HUGE difference on steep downhills.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Wore them all day today on flat ground and it seemed to work ok with 2 insoles. Wondering how it’s gonna turn out on steep country but for now it’s really helping. I must have pretty low volume feet. The zamberlan just seems a little too loose in the front without something to take up volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
I tried this last year with a pair of Lowa's. It is potentially a recipe for disaster with respect to heel rub (you will find out on the up-hills), there was a thread a while back about this subject.

I would recommend La Sportiva, Scarpa or perhaps Salewa (my feet are low-volume also).

I used some "shims" under my footbeds made just for this purpose from a ski shop used to fit ski boots. It's almost like a super dense cardboard. I may still have them somewhere if you want them.

LostArra

WKR
Yes. I did something similar in a pair of winter pack boots. I used flat wool power insoles and then put super feet on top. Worked fine.

+1 on the pack boots. Mine are Schnees and they are great boots but I needed a bit more support for some long hikes.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do it all the time on shoes/boots with too much volume; occasionally I'll do it with my running shoes when they start to degrade- adds a little longevity to the shoe

tttoadman

WKR
I tried it and immediately rubbed the heels also.

I don't know how many boots have this, but the La Sportiva Nepals have a padded tongue that can be added to the top of your foot to take up extra volume. I have used it when running thinner socks.