Scarpa/Kuiu Synthetic boots

carter33

WKR
Does anyone have a solid amount of experience with some of the new Scarpa Kuiu collaboration boots that are all sythetic construction? (R-evolution trek gtx, rebel k gtx and rebel ultra gtx)

Seems like a lot of great tech but I am curious about durability. I am considering the rebel k and rebel ultra as I melted/dented the front toe of my lowa Tibet gtxs trying to dry them out over a fire (won’t make that mistake again). Also interested in opinions/thoughts specifically on the rebel ultra built in gaiter in addition to being just generally curious about all of the boots.

mt100gr.

WKR
Not one of the models you're asking about, but I put about 400 miles on the Scarpa Charmoz pro gtx last year and I am beyond impressed. Hands down the most waterproof boot.I have owned, great traction, nearly maintenance free and excellent support. I will easily get another year out of them. I was skeptical about the all synthetic construction but won't hesitate to buy that style again.

JP100

WKR
Try and have a look on some climbing reviews/forums.
Those boots are not really that 'new'.
Have been around for a while, just Kuiu has changed a few little things and bought them into the US hunting market.

I have never used a all Synthetic boot, and guides(Mt guides) that I have worked with that use them say they are very light,waterproof, and good fit.
But loose out to leather construction durability wise in the rocks. This is what I have been told, so no real experience from myself.

I think the durability of boots depends solely on the terrain you are on. Ive seen boots ruined in a year(heaps of top brands and models) and seen the same models that are 5-10 years old and look fine, depending solely on the user and the terrain they are in.

OP
carter33

carter33

WKR
I have found a few reviews for the non Kuiu Scarpa rebel ultra and the reviews seem great. They tend to focus a lot on crampon compatability and ice climbing while only touching on steep/mixed climbing performance done most frequently hunting. I intend to use them as kinda an all around boot anywhere from north slope caribou to Kodiak goat and general hiking such as in the brooks range so it will vary greatly.

The comment you made about the synthetics loosening up more quickly relative to leather is also what I have heard but am hoping that with the ever progressing synthetic materials out there they may have been able to change that. Also interested in the gaiter because it seems like every small stream I cross is always an inch or two too deep. However I feel the with the laws of nature every stream will still be an inch or two over the gaiter if I buy them.

JP100

WKR
The problem with most climbing boots/gear is they are either in clean ice/snow or on tracks/routes in clean rock.

Mountain hunting we are always in the 'fringe' zones. Not alpine enough to be in ice/snow, not down in the valley, but the shit in between which is always the crap every one else avoids(hikers,climbers etc). The way hunters use gear is often 'outside' the main design of them. Thats my experience after spending a bit of time with alpine guides/climbers etc and talking with about gear.

There is always a compromise and generally we loose durability for weight.

Would be good to see some more real honest hunter reviews of these types of boots. They do seems to have a few benefits.

Ive given up on gaiters and just wear rain pants haha.

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
I used the R-evolution trek gtx last season and they held up for sure. Very waterproof and comfortable. However they made a squeaking sound with almost every step and it drove me nuts. Still have them but made the switch to Schnee's and couldn't be happier.

OP
carter33

carter33

WKR
Well I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a pair but still split between rebel k and ultra. Biggest difference is the built in gaiter. Never worn a pair of boots with them built in. Any pros and cons from anyone who has used them? May try to find some boots with built in gaiters at rei just to get an idea of them.

Hopefully regardless of selection I can share some more insights after a few months. Then give my experience with the durability after a more extended timeframe.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used the R-evolution trek gtx last season and they held up for sure. Very waterproof and comfortable. However they made a squeaking sound with almost every step and it drove me nuts. Still have them but made the switch to Schnee's and couldn't be happier.

The squeaking was and still can be an issue. If you contact Kuiu warranty and explain to them the issue, the will send you a new and different set of laces. The laces on the original ones and some that still have not been switched out, were the laces and material compatibility did not mesh well and it led to squeaking. The new laces should fix the problem.

mt100gr.

WKR
My scarpas squeaked and I quickly tracked it down to the laces. The webbing eyelets didn't like the friction so I scrubbed them all with some bow string wax and bingo-chingo. Quiet as a church mouse.

Reactions: BCP
Tried on the non Kuiu rebel pros yesterday. They felt really good, I'm just not sure I would be happy with the level of ankle support.

OP
carter33

carter33

WKR
Ordered a pair of Scarpa Rebel K GTX the other day in 12. Should have them within a week and will add some first impressions. I am typically betweeen an 11.5-12 more typically running an 11.5. Decided against going with the ultra with the gaiter, I have hot feet as it is and could see them sliding and just generally being obnoxious. Do feel I am taking more of a risk going from my lowa tibets to these than another more traditional all leather boot. Expect I will either love or hate them.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
My apologies for being so late to this discussion but last summer I picked up a pair of Scarpa Mont Blanc Pro GTX boots which bear a very strong resemblance to the KUIU Rebel Ultra's.

After an event-free break in here in the mild terrain of MN I wore these on two late-season AZ archery hunts: 12 day elk and 10 day deer. The deer hunt wasn't terribly challenging but the elk hunt was in Unit 23. The attached picture shows the kind of terrain frequently encountered here.

These boots fit my (narrow) feet perfectly and worked great for this kind of terrain ( all vertical and all rocks). I viewed the built-in gaiter a bit suspiciously at first but they work great for keeping debris out of your socks. They also held up great to the beating.

Right now I'd say they're my personal favorites, especially for when the going gets tough.

Attachments

• IMG_3016.jpg
    IMG_3016.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3004.jpg
    IMG_3004.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 214
OP
carter33

carter33

WKR
Got the Scarpa rebel ks in yesterday. Took them on a short hike today in deep snow through my backyard onto the river. Gaiters would have been nice in this scenario. First impression is quality is top notch. I do want everyone to know that the only other pair of top quality boots I have owned are the lowa Tibet gtx highs which I loved. Also a few pairs of danners but not on par with the lowas or Scarpas.

I typically wear 11.5 to 12 and ordered 12, this size is correct I believe. I would not want to downsize. Initial impressions is these boots fit my foot like a well formed glove. On this front much better than the initial feel of the lowa. However the ankle of the Scarpa is much looser than the lowas. I have always felt “stiffness” refers to both the sole and ankle support. The sole on Scarpa are very stiff, comparable to or stiffer to the lowas but the ankle is much weaker. Also the scarpas breath incredibly more than the lowas. I have hot feet so some may prefer the warmth of the lowas but I was walking in -5 with medium weight socks in the scarpas and was fine.

It will take time to tell but as of now I would be surprised if I like them more than lowas in the long run. I enjoyed the ankle support of the all leather gtxs but i have also never had synthetic boots so perhaps I’ll be happily suprised. Again on intitial impression I am most excited about how they really hug the foot.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from a nice conditioning stroll in my Scarpa Rebel K GTX's.

The forest service is "reconditiong" the access road to get to the parking area. On the website it says the road is not in driveable condition and is closed until further notice. I call BS, the road looked fine on the walk in.

Anyways, back to the boots. I had to hike the 3.8 miles down the gravel road to get to the start of the trailhead. It was not pleasant in these boots, as they are definitely not made for just "hiking". The only other time I had gotten to test these boots was back home in Alaska. I was right in the mountains there, and they performed great! I only had to walk across hard ball to cross the street and begin my hike up. Then again I was cushioned by the snow once I got up to elevation.

Back to today. By the time I got to the trail head my feet were already yelling at me. But, once I got on the trail they were just fine and performed as expected. Unfortunately where I am for the next month doesn't have a ton of mountains, and I may have to drive even further to get some good conditioning hikes in before I get home. When I did have the chance to make some elevation gains and traverse some rocky areas they performed like they were supposed to. I was wearing a light weight pair of socks though, and last time I had a pair of thicker wool darn tough socks on. I did start to get a hot spot on the pinky toe of my right foot, which is a very odd spot for me, but I could feel my foot rubbing on the inside more so than the left boot. I did just put a set of the green superfeet in them, so I may have to trim them just a little, as the sole may be pushing my foot up from being about an 1/8" too much.

I was in all kinds of terrain today in these boots, and even did a little side hilling, although it wasn't on scree or any type of rock, but they did great. It was definitely more comfortable for me to side hill than try to go straight down hill. When I tried to go straight down hill my toes would jam into the front of the toe box. Again, I think this had more to do with my choice of socks than anything, as I went with a lighter weight sock. I picked up some mid weight socks from farm to feet, but I will have to wait until I get back to Alaska to try those out. For now I will just have to use my thicker thorlo's on the next trek.

I don't have a ton of miles on these boots, in fact less than 20 miles, with today being my longest trek in them yet. I really like the boots and they do perform and fit nice. They are definitely very stiff, and with some of the terrain I may see, I am considering giving the Crispi Hunter GTX's a try after reading some great reviews on them.

I looked at the Rebel Ultra's as well and may try those over the Crispi Hunters, but I just don't know. Comftorable, proper fitting boots are going to be the most important piece of gear you need, because without your feet, you aren't going anywhere. Well, anywhere far at least.

One thing I will say is wearing a full length sock makes a differnce in these boots, especially with ankle support. It could just be me, but today I wore liners and ankle hiking socks, and I could feel my ankle wanting to roll on a few occasions. I stopped and tightened up my boots after the first five miles, and it wasn't too much of an issue after that.

Some of the terrain from today.

IMG_8191.jpg

IMG_8221.jpg

IMG_8193.jpg

Last edited:

Benjblt

WKR
Did any of you that have tried the Kuiu Scarpa's find that you had to upsize a half size? I've got a guy trying to sell me the SCARPA R-EVOLUTION TREK GTX and he claims that you have to go up a half size.

Jpeaston

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely recommend going up a 1/2 size

Did any of you that have tried the Kuiu Scarpa's find that you had to upsize a half size? I've got a guy trying to sell me the SCARPA R-EVOLUTION TREK GTX and he claims that you have to go up a half size.

OP
carter33

carter33

WKR

I am usually an 11.5 and on occasion a 12, I went with 12 and was happy so going up half a size is probably good decision. I just finished up a few mile trail with some good elevation gain. The trail still had snow that had been melting and freezing so it was extremely slick. My wife was wearing lowa Tibet’s and we were both having to dig our toes in or walk on softer snow on the side of the trail. I had about 20 pounds in my pack and I loved the boots. It was maybe 20 degrees out and my feet were toasty but I feel I have warmer feet than most mine are usually sweating. We did get on some rock and did a little climbing even and the grip was great. I could feel a difference in weight between these and my lowa Tibet hi boots.

My final verdict hasn’t been made yet, still need some more miles, but I think they definitely have some serious potential. In the end I may wind up loving them even more than my lowa tibets. All this being said it is also only my second pair of high end boots so take what I’m saying with that in mind. I am admittedly not an expert on boots.

Benjblt

WKR
I am usually an 11.5 and on occasion a 12, I went with 12 and was happy so going up half a size is probably good decision. I just finished up a few mile trail with some good elevation gain. The trail still had snow that had been melting and freezing so it was extremely slick. My wife was wearing lowa Tibet’s and we were both having to dig our toes in or walk on softer snow on the side of the trail. I had about 20 pounds in my pack and I loved the boots. It was maybe 20 degrees out and my feet were toasty but I feel I have warmer feet than most mine are usually sweating. We did get on some rock and did a little climbing even and the grip was great. I could feel a difference in weight between these and my lowa Tibet hi boots.

My final verdict hasn’t been made yet, still need some more miles, but I think they definitely have some serious potential. In the end I may wind up loving them even more than my lowa tibets. All this being said it is also only my second pair of high end boots so take what I’m saying with that in mind. I am admittedly not an expert on boots.
Thanks for the evaluation. Please check in when you get some more use out of them. I'll be curious t ok see how they go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veron16