Pac boots for backpacking

I know there are alot of threads here about pac boots, but I havnt seen anything that answers this question. Im specifically talking about Hoffmans outback or thins. Does anyone wear these on backpack hunts?

OP
B
Okay, let me rephrase the question. I see in Robby Dennings book & elsewhere that he likes the Schnee's Hunter 2 pacs. He doesn't actually say he backpack hunts in them (at least thats not what I read). Does anyone backpack hunt in any type of pac boot? Feel free to chime in Robby.

slick

WKR
I have Hoffman’s Double insulated guides.. I have never backpacked with these. I only wear them when it’s crazy cold and/or snowy, and 1) I don’t do a whole lot of backpacking in those conditions and 2) I would wear my lowa Tibet’s if so.

These are quite heavy, and they would work, but they wouldn’t be my first choice of backpacking boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The answer is no. You got bad knees bro. Get a lighter weight insulated boot. Something in the 400-800 gram range from kenetrek or other. Kenetrek mountain extremes are warm and much more supportive than a pack boot

PNWGATOR

WKR
I’ve used my Schnees pac boots for years pounding North Idaho. I used them in the Frank chasing muleys last October. They work. That said, I’m in the market for a winter weight mountaineering boot. I’d like something physically lighter before this coming Fall.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Last summer, I had Hoffman’s make me a set of their 14” Felt Voyagers with the ankle strap from the Outback on them. My feet get cold easily, and I didn’t think the Outbacks would be warm enough for the 4th season elk hunt I had tags for in northern CO, but I wanted the ankle strap for the tighter fit for hiking inclines and declines. We did quite a bit of hiking over the season, and I was very happy with them. In fact, I was pretty surprised that they worked so well! I have two pair of Kenetrek Mtn Extremes, and for day hiking, they had nothing on the pac boots. I highly recommend them.

Regards,
Scott

OP
B
Last summer, I had Hoffman’s make me a set of their 14” Felt Voyagers with the ankle strap from the Outback on them. My feet get cold easily, and I didn’t think the Outbacks would be warm enough for the 4th season elk hunt I had tags for in northern CO, but I wanted the ankle strap for the tighter fit for hiking inclines and declines. We did quite a bit of hiking over the season, and I was very happy with them. In fact, I was pretty surprised that they worked so well! I have two pair of Kenetrek Mtn Extremes, and for day hiking, they had nothing on the pac boots. I highly recommend them.

Regards,
Scott

But did you do any backpacking in them?

sab

Lil-Rokslider
But did you do any backpacking in them?

We were base-camp hunting, so all I carried was a daypack, and we never shot an elk. The heaviest load was probably about 20 pounds. With those minimal loads, the Hoffmans were actually a little more comfortable than either of my Kenetreks. Could be totally different with a loaded pack, as you know - I hope to find out this fall on the same hunt, with meat this time :)

Regards,
Scott

I have used Pac style boots for decades. I used to use L.L. Bean boots that I always had them put Vibram soles on instead of the useless "chain tread" type soles. They don't make them like that anymore since they became a " gorpeater" store!!

I have Schnees and Hoffman now. The Hoffmans have the better bottoms( tougher, longer lasting tread, all around better design).
I have a pair of Schnees Guides because they are uninsulated, which Hoffman don't generally make. My feet always seem to run warm
so I rarely use insulated except in winter conditions. I am trying to get Hoffman to make a uninsulated, then my boot buying would be
simplified !!

As far as use of the pacs for packing, I have used them for packing moose, caribou, sheep hunting, goat hunting, etc. They work great for
me for right at 50 yrs.

Bob

OP
B
Still havnt heard from anyone who backpacks in for 5 miles with at least 50 lbs.(going in) and more coming out. In fact every thing Ive been reading says "dont do it".Like the man says above ,"I have bad knees". I always forget that until I end up in pre-op. These boots will be for November and December in the sierras for bear season. I like the idea of removable liners, but unless Im convinced otherwise, Im going to go with insulated hiking or hunting boots. The extra weight of pac boots on a long trek through the snow doesn't appeal to me. Still, Mr. BRobertson, Im interested in hearing more from you. Some of your trips would have to be in the mountains. Were they steep up and down? How far? Did you make several trips up and down these mountains with heavy loads with these animals? Im also over 50 (prolly ought to quit this crazy game) and Im thinking an insulated lighter weight hiking boot with vapor barriers is the way to go. Anyone have experience with vapor barriers?

Akicita

WKR
For any winter backpacking I may do with a load I will typically choose between my Scarpa Mont Blanc Pros (2lbs each) and my Scarpa Phantom 6000 (2.5lbs each). They are both mountaineering boots and I have hundreds of miles on each of them as well as tens of thousands vertical feet. The Phantoms are my absolute favorite boot for this purpose and many others because of the outer boot design, inner lacing and removable Intuition liner. They are not cheap!!!

dRdpUxa.jpg

Still havnt heard from anyone who backpacks in for 5 miles with at least 50 lbs.(going in) and more coming out. In fact every thing Ive been reading says "dont do it".Like the man says above ,"I have bad knees". I always forget that until I end up in pre-op. These boots will be for November and December in the sierras for bear season. I like the idea of removable liners, but unless Im convinced otherwise, Im going to go with insulated hiking or hunting boots. The extra weight of pac boots on a long trek through the snow doesn't appeal to me. Still, Mr. BRobertson, Im interested in hearing more from you. Some of your trips would have to be in the mountains. Were they steep up and down? How far? Did you make several trips up and down these mountains with heavy loads with these animals? Im also over 50 (prolly ought to quit this crazy game) and Im thinking an insulated lighter weight hiking boot with vapor barriers is the way to go. Anyone have experience with vapor barriers?

Yes I can say that that this includes mountainous terrain. Guiding spring glacier bear and brown bear hunters. Our area is in Yakutat, goes from sea level to 19000ft (St. Elias), so I would consider it mountainous!! Always used pacs, they work great for snowshoes also. (Sherpas)
moose season of 2015 in western Alaska I helped a friend pack a 71" moose out, over hill and dale!! The moose was the size of a Clydesdale!! It was primarily thru afro heads,, which is probably the toughest terrain known to man!!
For what you are describing I would recommend the Hoffman Double Insulated pac. For myself I would use the Outbacks. But I always have warm feet. If you call them you can add the option of the extra ankle support strap off of the Outback. It really adds ankle support!! They are really helpful on the phone!!

Last edited:
Also I have to ad, I have bad knees also!!
3 surgeries on left knee, 1 on right. Severed ACL, they took the middle 1/3 of my knee cap and grafted it back together.
I always put lightweight knee braces on whenever I leave camp!! The best I have ever found for all day hunting and packing are the
cheap neoprene ones ($13) from Wally World.

I have to disclose after all of this that I have been known to go up after a Mt. goat with hipboots on!!
In my defense, he was a 10" incher!!
Bob

OP
B
Akicita I appreciate you chiming in. I dont think a mountaineering boot is the way to go for me. Having a waterproof, insulated boot is almost a "just in case" thing for me. What typically happens is I end up hiking out on the last day of deer season in the snow. My feet dont get cold until then. Bear hunting is new to me but what seems very real to me is that I could end up making 3 trips, maybe over 2 days to get a bear and my gear out of the backcountry through the snow. Hey BRob. People reading this prolly think we're old and crazy and that we should hang it up. Im gonna check out those knee braces and Im thinking I may go ahead and order the pacs, check them out, and if I think I wont like them for some reason I can always sendem back. Thanx for all the info guys. If you got anything else to add, please chime in.

I went up a size in the Outback, as they suggested. I have a very wide foot (4E).

I am 66yrs now, and I plan to be sheep and bear hunting till at least 85yrs!!

Otherwise, what is the point of living!!!

Bob

SwampBone

FNG
Hey Bob, you’re an inspiration! I hope I’m doing what you’re when I reach that age! I own a few lineman boots from hoffman and their top notch boots.