Needed: Non leather waterproof elk boot

Every non leather boot I have owned states waterproof, but leaks within a few hunts. I need a non leather boot for mountain Elk hunting that I can rely on the watherproof.

I've had good luck with two older pairs of La Sportiva Trango's staying waterproof. One pair was the Trango Evo S (red), the other the Trango Extremes (silver colored and insulated). They both worked really well for me and ended up being extremely durabe and lasted years without leaking.
The red pair was worn for tons of 3 season mountaineering and backpacking. The silver pair is my ice climbing boot and subjected to plenty of wet environments... but only worn in winter meaning not a lot of walking through tall damp grass.

DavePwns

WKR
Just curious, did you use gaiters (OP)?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

For earlier warmer conditions the Schnee's Guide boot with the airbob lug sole might be what you are looking for. They are not insulated and you could vary the thickness of wool socks in them to adjust for different temperatures.
Use Montana Pitch Blend or Obenauf's on the leather upper and your feet will stay nice and dry.

https://schnees.com/guide-adv/

I bought a pair of the uninsulated White's Outdoorsman boots with the Claw lug sole (best sole anywhere) and they worked fantastic for me. I hunted in wet and snowy conditions and my feet never once got wet! I treat the leather with a good leather treatment such as Montana Pitch blend or Obenauf's, and these do have a waterproof membrane lining also. I was very impressed with these boots.

https://www.whitesboots.com/#/product/2382

Last edited:

Owenst7

WKR
The outer has nothing at all to do with the membrane bootie. Single piece leather boots are less likely to abrade the bootie or have dumb construction that stitches holes through the bootie, but there is no functional reason why a synthetic boot would be any more or less waterproof than a full leather one.

wildcat33

WKR
I've had good luck with two older pairs of La Sportiva Trango's staying waterproof. One pair was the Trango Evo S (red), the other the Trango Extremes (silver colored and insulated). They both worked really well for me and ended up being extremely durabe and lasted years without leaking.
The red pair was worn for tons of 3 season mountaineering and backpacking. The silver pair is my ice climbing boot and subjected to plenty of wet environments... but only worn in winter meaning not a lot of walking through tall damp grass.

I had the exact opposite experience with mine (S Evo). Both feet leaked in the toe box after less than 100 miles. Also, as a side note, these boots are way too stiff for elk hunting.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
From my experience leather breaths much better than a “waterproof/breathable” bootie. Leather lined boots are what I’m going to next.

wildcat33

WKR
Also curious as to why no leather?

They are super light boots. Used them back when I thought mountaineering was cool (and fun?). At that time most mountaineering boots (suitable for climbing with crampons) were going to a full synthetic build like the Trango and others like Asolo. Much lighter and easier walking than double plastic boots or full leather like the Karakorum that preceded them. My experience was in exchange for light weight you paid the price in durability - the uppers on the Trango wore fast and the goretext didnt last long.

I would never consider this kind of boot for hunting - too expensive, not durable, too stiff in the shank. Schnees Timberline will be my next boot after my Salomons blow out.