Leaky boots- a solution

Beendare

WKR
It seems I put my thread on my leakyy Solomen GTX's in the wrong area.....so I will put the 6 mo update here.

Those mesh boots are famous for leaking after a year. I talked to the Cabelas boot buyer years ago and he told me the Gore tex liners just flat out break down at about the one year mark if you are actually using these boots.

So I am constantly replacing these broken in mesh boots-THERE IS A SOLUTION

boot seal.jpg
Note; silicone in this pic is thickening- too thick!

So I mixed up a thin solution of 100% Silicone [the bathroom sealant] and diluted with mineral spirits. You need to mix well....and it has to be thin so it can penetrate. I used the house paint analogy before....but a little thinner is better.

I used a foam paintbrush but anything works. Just apply a thin coating making sure to get it in all of the nooks and crannies. I put it on the leather portions too.

Yeah, it stinks. It seems obvious but don't do this 2 days before a big hunt. I left mine outside for a week and the small is very little....nothing now.

I have had many compliments of guys PM me saying this works great. A couple guys that mixed too thick had it peal off. If you have the boots heavily waxed I doubt it will work as well either.

My feet sweat anyway on long hikes.....I haven't noticed a difference with this sealer on there but it would stand to reason they don't breathe well.It sure beats standing in some wet tundra and feeling the cold water seeping in.