Low volume foot boot solution...

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all! This is the first time I am starting a thread! I have been a member here for a few years and consider this site a great resource as Ive been starting to hunt the west.

Over the past 5 or so years I have been acquiring or upgrading equipment to help facilitate and or make my hunts more enjoyable. I love to do tons of research and find great deals on gear. For the most part I have been happy and had great luck with everything except footwear......

I was an 11B ( light infantry ) for several years and never once had “foot issues”. Occasionally I would get some minor blisters/ soar feet on long marches but never anything to think twice about. Fast forward a bit more the a decade as I started hunting out west and I have had nothing but issues finding footwear that works with my feet. After tons of reasearch, measurements and experimenting I now know I have a lower volume foot. I have tried bellville(military) Danner, Salomon, and Scarpa. I bought the Scarpa R evolution as my research showed it was narrow boot. The did fit a bit better but going downhill would cause sloshing to the bottom of the boot if I didn’t reef on the laces but then I’d have stop and re lace as soon as I’d be on level ground again as they would then hurt my feet on level ground!

Long story short, I think I’ve found a solution ( at least for me). They are The Eliminator Custom Tongue Shims.

The Eliminator Custom Tongue Shims

They are made for down hill ski boots but they also work magic in my hunting boots! They come in two sizes small and large. They’re a bit stiff at first but after a couple of hikes begin to form to your feet. Just got done with another five miler and all of the foot/pain and heel lift that I was experiencing before are gone. All it’s doing is taking up volume underneath the tongue. All the volume is taken from the top of the boot! This allows my foot to sit as it was intended unlike when I have tried multiple insoles or thicker insoles, this almost always caused some other major issue. I have mine starting at the top of the tongue of the boot and it stops right at the base of my toes. It’s a bit unconventional but it is definitely a game changer for my feet,maybe it can help a few people here.
b123ed9c8ff81a398734dace47088f16.jpg
a2f78c63cfd0c7c910a17f6eaa71445f.jpg

If anyone has any questions please don’t be afraid to ask, this works really well for me and I think it will help others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is something I have fought with too. Thanks for sharing, I might try some out.

Yes!! Thanks for posting this! I too have narrow and low volume feet and have to be very particular about what shoes and boots I use or buy sight unseen. Usually La Sportiva works well for me, some Crispi's, and the Lathrop & Sons Mountain Hunter works well too but this looks like a huge benefit to other boots I wear.

rm06

WKR
Thanks for posting this, I had no idea the product existed. I've been relatively happy with my boot of choice lately but I think I may give these a try

3forks

WKR
I know from experience in working with custom footbeds and fitting boots, there are multiple ways to correct a fit issue, but typically you want to address the problem from the bottom of the boot up.

I'm glad the OP found a solution for himself and one that might help others. However, if you're getting heel lift, you may want to try using a pad that is shaped like a butterfly/"X" in your boot's heel pocket so that the pad takes up the volume around your narrow heel. *Depending on how much heel lift you're getting - there are ways to lace your boots that can help too.

A lot of people try to make a boot that is too wide work for them. The OP tried to find the narrowest boot possible and still had a fit issue...(I've had this problem too, and Hanwaag Tatra narrow width boots fit me best). There are a lot of products made that allow users to reduce the volume in ill fitting boots, but they generally don't offer much relief for someone who is doing more than just walking around town.

I'm certainly not trying to say the OP didn't solve his problem or his solution won't help other people, but I just wanted to point out that in general, working from the bottom up is a best practice.

*Incidentally, as the OP points out, the tongue inserts are designed for ski boots and are a designed to take up the volume around the lower leg and to resolve a problem called shin bang. Most of the time, the tongue inserts are used to help with a boot that wasn't properly fit during the sales/fitting process.

Last edited:

elkduds

WKR
I have had my best success buying women's boots to fit my B width low volume feet. Really appreciate the link and discussion of this.

dtrkyman

WKR
Not sure I have low volume feet but I would think I do? Narrow with high arches...Asolo boots work fantastic for me.

OP
Olbadae

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
Do you notice your foot getting hotter/sweatier than normal with these in place?

They do get a bit more warm then normal but nothing that over rides the significant improvement in fit that I’m getting.