Zamberlan 1014 Lynx as an all-season boot, and waterproofing

TauPhi111

WKR
I've been heavily considering getting a pair of these boots, as GovX usually has them for about $275. Zamberlan markets them as an uninsulated archery/early season back country hunting boot, but I'm wondering how they fare as an all season/all terrain boot from those of you that have these boots. I'd be using them for pronghorn and archery elk all the way into 2nd and 3rd rifle elk when there is a good chance for some heavy snow.

Also, how do you properly care for and waterproof this Nubuck leather? I've read generally that silicone sprays are the way to go, but in my experience they don't last long. I've used snow seal this past year on some old boots and it breathed one last season of life into them, but they were normal full grain leather. Can I use snow seal on Nubuck without affecting it's breathability? I know it won't keep the same look or texture, but after a season or two I doubt I'd care and I would rather just have them be waterproof.

Thanks!!

Akicita

WKR
I haven't worn the Lynx but I did an extensive product research report on the Outifitter GTX and I was extremely impressed. Based on what you want to use them for I think they would be a better purchase.

For all my leather boots I do a regular wash with a mild natural soap and let them air dry. I then treat with either Hestra leather balm or rendered Bear lard when I have it. I avoid silicone and petroleum products for any leather goods I use.

nrh6.7

WKR
...I did an extensive product research report on the Outifitter GTX and I was extremely impressed.

I would be interested in your thoughts on the Outfitters if you have a link.

OP, I don't have these boots but do own several pairs of Zamberlans and I would speculate the only issue you might have would be the lack of a rubber rand. Build quality is incredible.

Akicita

WKR
I would be interested in your thoughts on the Outfitters if you have a link.

OP, I don't have these boots but do own several pairs of Zamberlans and I would speculate the only issue you might have would be the lack of a rubber rand. Build quality is incredible.

No link that I can share as it was an R&D test for a competitor in 2014 . They sent them to me to test failure points as well as provide information for development and improvement of similar boots they were thinking of producing. This is not my style of boot but I was impressed with the stability, comfort, design and most of all the craftsmanship. I pushed these to point where many other boots would have and do fail and these shined on. The quality and craftsmanship stood out the most for me and exceeded any expectations I had for this style boot. They were a very capable boot and one I definitely endorse from my experience with them.

nrh6.7

WKR
No link that I can share as it was an R&D test for a competitor in 2014 . They sent them to me to test failure points as well as provide information for development and improvement of similar boots they were thinking of producing. This is not my style of boot but I was impressed with the stability, comfort, design and most of all the craftsmanship. I pushed these to point where many other boots would have and do fail and these shined on. The quality and craftsmanship stood out the most for me and exceeded any expectations I had for this style boot. They were a very capable boot and one I definitely endorse from my experience with them.

Thanks for the feedback. One last question if you don't mind. How stiff are the soles on the 980?

Akicita

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. One last question if you don't mind. How stiff are the soles on the 980?

Because I test and wear so many different boots I can't specifically recall, however looking back at my notes (I tested these in November 2015 not 2014) and rated stiffness at a 6.5 through the instep and break over and 8.0 from arch to heel. I would translate that as a medium stiff boot through the break over at the instep and ball of the foot. I also noted packing 80 pounds and giving it high marks for torsional rigidity and support with a foot note that I felt confident that these would help prevent Plantar Fasciitis. That means they were relatively stiff for a tapered sole 11" high boot. These would not be as stiff as a mountaineering boot by purpose and design.

nrh6.7

WKR
Because I test and wear so many different boots I can't specifically recall, however looking back at my notes (I tested these in November 2015 not 2014) and rated stiffness at a 6.5 through the instep and break over and 8.0 from arch to heel. I would translate that as a medium stiff boot through the break over at the instep and ball of the foot. I also noted packing 80 pounds and giving it high marks for torsional rigidity and support with a foot note that I felt confident that these would help prevent Plantar Fasciitis. That means they were relatively stiff for a tapered sole 11" high boot. These would not be as stiff as a mountaineering boot by purpose and design.

I really appreciate you getting out your notes to reply. Have been wanting to order some of these but didn't want an overly flexible sole, which these apparently do not have. Thank you again!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using my 2 pair of Zamberlan Dakota's the last five years and love them, but they discontinued them. I've been looking at the Lynx's as a possible replacement to these when I need new boots. I think they are as close to the Dakota's as I will get, and I love the Dakota's.