Longevity of Boots In Storage

Benjblt

WKR
I've recently come into a couple new pairs of boots, enough pairs that I couldn't possibly wear each one of them more than a 3 or 4 times a year. Basically I would where 2 or 3 of them frequently and the the other two I might wear 2 or 3 times for the equivalent of about 10 or 15 miles a year. I've got the ability to return one of the boots (a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabbles) or, since I'm going to be poor now that my wife quit work and we have two kids, I could hold on to them and keep them in storage for a few years until my other boots wear out. I've got some Lowa Tibets, Kenetrek Mnt Extremes, Crispi Dakotas, and Lowa Renegades that will all see some action. My question is do you all think that the rubber will degrade in the Kenetreks over a multi-year period kind of like a car tire? or do you think that I could keep a boot like that in proper storage for 5, maybe 10 years before ever having to worry about it.

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
I've recently come into a couple new pairs of boots, enough pairs that I couldn't possibly wear each one of them more than a 3 or 4 times a year. Basically I would where 2 or 3 of them frequently and the the other two I might wear 2 or 3 times for the equivalent of about 10 or 15 miles a year. I've got the ability to return one of the boots (a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabbles) or, since I'm going to be poor now that my wife quit work and we have two kids, I could hold on to them and keep them in storage for a few years until my other boots wear out. I've got some Lowa Tibets, Kenetrek Mnt Extremes, Crispi Dakotas, and Lowa Renegades that will all see some action. My question is do you all think that the rubber will degrade in the Kenetreks over a multi-year period kind of like a car tire? or do you think that I could keep a boot like that in proper storage for 5, maybe 10 years before ever having to worry about it.

I'd return them and buy later. My buddy did exactly what you're stating and half way through his back packing trip he had a catastrophic failure. I would not store them 10 years and trust them at all. 2-4 years yes. 5-10 years no.