Recommendations on a quality midweight nimble/flexible hunting boot?

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Roksliders,

I will try not to be too long winded here, but I wanted to see if you could give me some recommendations on boots for hunting. I usually hunt with a bow out west in all types of terrain, but nothing too crazy or rocky. Temps from about 20-100 degrees, usually dry ground in CA and AZ, mountains and desert.

I like being deadly quiet so sometimes I wish I could wear a pair of running shoes, but those don't work well with a big pack on or carrying out big game. I tried on the Salomon Quest GTX that everyone recommends. Seem like a nice boot, but I am not thrilled with the appearance and they seemed a little stiff. Also tried the Salmon Ultra GTX mid, but they don't have much top of foot protection. I am about 160lbs and very fit so I am leaning toward a more nimble/flexible boot. I love the classic look of the leather Kenetrek,crispi,meindl, lowa's but they seem like they would be too stiff and bulky for me.

I have been using a pair of Danner RAT hot weather military boots for the last few years and they are very comfortable, durable and flexible, but the sole it a little large and bulky. They are also HEAVY and give me hot spots with my high instep/arch.

I am looking for a quality boot, so high prices wont scare me off. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

check out Schnees Timberline boots, they are full leather and pretty flexible. I picked up a pair that was a return and they didnt fit, they are in the classifieds if you are interested.

jjd

FNG
Looking for the same thing. The Schnees timberline mentioned above look interesting, but I think would be heavier than I want. The crispi lapponias and innov8 roclite 320 gtx are what I’m debating between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
krist003

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are awesome. I have been looking all over and here are two options I didn't even know about. The Schnee's Timberline and Crispi Lapponias look to be a great balance to what I am looking for. Saw a post that Schnee's is coming out with a new Outlook EVO boot that is totally redesigned. Crispi Thor looks like a good one too.

Akicita

WKR
Lowa Zephyr GTX Mid or Hi - I've been running the Hi for over a year now and they have met all expectations for a light and fast boot with great durability and fit.

If you can get past the looks of those 4d's they will be a good choice. Although they seem stiff now they will turn into a heavy duty pair of basketball shoes with some time. They will get very soft, but keep the traction and ankle support.

Lowa Zephyr's are a great boot, I just couldn't get them to fit right for me.

If you're a half size, the size down will be too tight, and the size up will be too sloppy. At least, that was true for myself, my dad, and my uncle.

Akicita

WKR
If you can get past the looks of those 4d's they will be a good choice. Although they seem stiff now they will turn into a heavy duty pair of basketball shoes with some time. They will get very soft, but keep the traction and ankle support.

I hate to bash them because so many of you like them, but I have not experienced good durability or weather resistance with the Quest 4 D's. . . In their defense I will add that I live, work and play in tough terrain, and that I'm also very hard on gear . . . Pictures of a pair after 9 months of duty specific wear and use.

ygQw8vX.jpg

h1UFvFu.jpg

LostArra

WKR
I've used the past two versions of the Salomon Quest with typical results (good initial comfort, limited lifespan and questionable waterproof longevity). I found them to be a good quiet stalker.
I'm now done with Salomon and I'm looking at Oboz as an alternative. I'm using (and liking) some low hikers now that I got at a deep discount and might try some mid height hikers for early season. I do have Tibets for heavy duty use but they are not a sneaky boot for archery season.

I hate to bash them because so many of you like them, but I have not experienced good durability or weather resistance with the Quest 4 D's. . . In their defense I will add that I live, work and play in tough terrain, and that I'm also very hard on gear . . . Pictures of a pair after 9 months of duty specific wear and use.

ygQw8vX.jpg

h1UFvFu.jpg

I'm actually not a fan of them because of what they are, but I feel they are a good fit for what the op is looking for. I have them and don't like how flexible they are and the lack of under foot protection, but I can't deny how they've held up or how nimble they are.
I have used mine for countless (I mean countless) trail, hunting, and daily wear use miles over a few years and I'm still wearing them.
I don't personally like them, but I think they would fit the op's use very well.

IMHO if they would make that shoe a little stiffer and give it some underfoot protection it would be a home run in it's class.
Maybe give it some more ankle flex also.

jjd

FNG

ygQw8vX.jpg

h1UFvFu.jpg

Too many reports like this. This is what keeps me from trying a pair or a couple of other salomon boots that look interesting and fit what I’m looking for.