Insulated hunting boots.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m looking to get a new pair of boots, either lowa or shnees, and I’m seeing insulated options from both companies.

I’ve never had insulated boots before so I’m wondering if anybody has issues with them being too warm when it’s not cold out, I do t really want to buy 2 pairs of boots now.

I do love and hunt in Alaska, sheep hunting etc so I can see the use of having insulation but like I said, not all of my hunting is in really cold temperatures. I could see the insulation being great for December moose and random
Caribou hunts.

I wear kenetrek mountain extreme non insulated. I may not be hunting temps that you are in alaska, but in Northern Michigan my feet have not been cold unless im sitting in a stand then I wear some warmer ones. I bought them for colorado hunting, but wear them in Michigan too.

I wore 400 gram insulated boots for Sep. elk many times and it wasn't any problem. I personally don't think about it too much.
Well maybe if they 800 gram.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Schnees Granite vi a great boot for mid to late season. I have been wearing them this winter from zero to 50 with no issues. A very stiff boot with good support.check out my review may answer some of your questions

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
I haven't worn these 2, but my meindls are 200 gram, I've worn them from 70 to 20 in the snow. I was worried at first since I have hot feet anyway, but in warm weather I change socks, wear injinji liners, knock on wood so far so good. I wouldn't think you would have too many problems if you adjust to the weather.

What are looking to do with your those boots? I had the Lowa EVO extremes and now I have the Schnees Beartooth II's.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
General hunting, hiking/backpacking.

The hunting could be anything from day hunts just out walking around looking for birds with my 22 to sheep hunting for several days and anything in between really.

Also, Im looking for as much ankle support as possible.

The Lowas were by far more supportive than the Beartooths, but the outsole was much, much more slippery on the Lowas. In the end I feel the Beartooths were more universal and by far more comfortable.
And the Lowa rand was peeled after just some light use.
I think the Beartooth is a better do all boot, but maybe you could get some input on the Granite from Ross. There were times packing around 85# when I thought the Beartooth wasn't enough, but then when just putting on miles they shine.
It's a give and take.

Also I do a lot of treestand hunting and the Primoloft in the Lowas was warmer than the 200 gram Thinsulate in my Beartooths.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for that info the ankle support is pretty important right now. I’m thinking of calling schnees or Lathrop and sons and seeing what they have to say about which boot would be the best for me.

I don’t have a problem spending a bit more to get the perfect boots but I’d like to avoid having to buy multiple pairs if possible.

I don’t have either of the boots you listed, but to your question on using insulated boots; yes I have used them even in September when it got unexpectedly cold this past season.
Mine are 200gram which is just enough for sitting in mildly cold or moving during really cold (single digits and up). If I was sitting still for longer periods I’d definitely want a warmer boot.

If it’s not cold, I wear uninsulated boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk