Lowa Camino Care

I just upgraded to the Camino's from Keen Targhee II's and I think I lucked out. I ordered these from Shoes.com with a 30% off code and saved a ton of money but I got more lucky because they fit great. I have never seen a Lowa shoe in any store here in NJ and I can't tell you how hard it is to fit my feet. I wear a 12EE and most companies either don't make the wide or they are either still too narrow or if the forefoot fits my heel is loose. I often have to compromise and go to a 13. I have had them for the last 2 days and put about 3-4 miles on them so far. They are stiffer than any boots I have had in the last 25+ years and would be hesitant to get something stiffer but they are comfortable straight out of the box and expect them to only improve with more miles.

I have never spent even after the discount this much on a pair of shoes and can clearly see the quality difference from 150-300 dollar shoes. Now my question is how do I care for them? I have used Sno Seal in the past but am hesitant to use it on these until I learned from those of you that have these boots.

Looking forward to hearing everyones suggestions and experiences with these boots.

Wolfey

FNG
Lowa has a boot care article on their website. I think they void warranty if you use any conditioner other than the product they sell which is their Active Creme and waterstop pro.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I just upgraded to the Camino's from Keen Targhee II's and I think I lucked out. I ordered these from Shoes.com with a 30% off code and saved a ton of money but I got more lucky because they fit great. I have never seen a Lowa shoe in any store here in NJ and I can't tell you how hard it is to fit my feet. I wear a 12EE and most companies either don't make the wide or they are either still too narrow or if the forefoot fits my heel is loose. I often have to compromise and go to a 13. I have had them for the last 2 days and put about 3-4 miles on them so far. They are stiffer than any boots I have had in the last 25+ years and would be hesitant to get something stiffer but they are comfortable straight out of the box and expect them to only improve with more miles.

I have never spent even after the discount this much on a pair of shoes and can clearly see the quality difference from 150-300 dollar shoes. Now my question is how do I care for them? I have used Sno Seal in the past but am hesitant to use it on these until I learned from those of you that have these boots.

Looking forward to hearing everyones suggestions and experiences with these boots.

As Wolfey mentioned Lowa does make specific boot care products. IMO they are not very good, I have had my Camino GTX for the last 3 falls, I have used both products as stated (cuz i was trying to stay away from the oils and such for breathability) and found that the waterproofing doesn't last that long. But ive read that people have the same issue with the Crispi waterproof cream, so it may just be that these more breathable waterproofers dont last as long.
I was in Montana hunting elk for around 24 days last fall, only 3 of those days did not have snow,, it was the first time i had dealt with that in these boots, after about 8 days of wet feet, i ended up going to a popular boot wax. It smells, but my feet stay dry now.

LaHunter

WKR
I use Obenaufs heavy duty wax on my Lowa Caminos, Renegades, and my Tibets. I applied it to all of them before I ever took them out for use and I re apply 1-2 times / year and they all are in very good condition.

Loco4dux

WKR
I'm going into my second hunting season with the camino's and recently discovered while turkey hunting the waterproof is shot. I'm going to hit them with some Sno Seal and see how that does.

Tagged in the hopes some other chime in with what they have used on their Camino's. Very comfortable boot.

I just bought a pair of Camino boots and am in the process of breaking them in. I have no intention of using them on hunts of any kind. Bought them for recreational hiking and light backpacking only. Really like the fit and features. Reviews on this boot were very positive in general.

I've been researching proper care of the leather, and did look into the Lowa products Active Crème and Waterstop but haven't bought anything yet. The one thing I'm trying to avoid (on any nubuck leather + Gore-Tex boot) is the use of products containing oils, greases, or beeswax. I know they protect leather but I've found they can really soften it too. I also know that heavy grease and waxing can reduce transpiration by the leather, and may contribute to interior dampness from perspiration over prolonged use. It seems that more and more boot companies (thinking European here) are moving toward the use of silicone-containing boot crèmes and sprays...and away from greases. Zamberlan recommends their products known as Hydrobloc (crème and spray) but is fairly specific in saying to NOT use the crème on nubuck.

So what do I know? Zero for proof. I have used the Zamberlan Hydrobloc products and know what they do. For the Camino boots I think I'm going with 1) good cleaning first and 2) Hydrobloc spray. The probable keys here are keeping the leather cleaned and regular application of the waterproofing spray. If that doesn't suit me, I'll go with the crème products and use a good nubuck brush to restore the outer finish.