Best western mountain hunting boot?

honkerdwn

FNG
Danner/Crispis/Kenetrek/Lowas/Schnees???

I know this subject has been hashed, tossed, and kicked around like a old bad habit but I like many others are in the market for a pair of good quality hunting boots and looking for some advice from fellow Rocksliders. Looking for that cover-all boot that can cover me from October to December, waterproof, breathable and has 200 to 400 grams of insulation. I have one ankle that has a tore ligament from the days of when I thought I would be a rodeo star so I need something with some good support but at the same time I don't need something so stiff its like walking with cinder blocks on your feet.

Years ago I spent $160 bucks on a pair of Rocky boots and my life changed. Waking, hunting and hiking brought on a whole new meaning with those boots. I wore those things into the ground and finally was forced to retire them. When I went shopping for the next pair I found that Rocky had all but diminished and ended up with some Irish Setters. They have been a good boot but have only lasted about 3 years and they are ready for retirement. So this brings me to my current dilemma. I'm back in the market for another pair of good quality boots. I've been reading through all the reviews and trying to sift through it all as to what will best suit my needs. There is so much information and its all great information at that. I realize that each individual will have a different experience with any different boot out there as we are all different shapes and sizes. I'm just looking for suggestions or advice on what people have used for an all season boot. I have been eyeballing the Crispi Hunter GTX boot, I like them because they are a little taller, but are they to much boot for my needs? I'm not a big back country hunter but I do a lot of hiking to get away from the roads and people. I plan on putting them to use in Wyoming this year on a muley hunt and that's what is really driving me to get a good quality pair. I tried on a pair of Lowas (don't remember the name but they were grey in color) and the right foot was very comfy but the left was to tight. Danner Powderhorns have also caught my eye. Anyone with any experience with them?

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions. I realize also that this is only my second post on this site and hopefully I don't get blasted for that. I've been in the shadows lurking about.

thanks again,

HD

ericF

WKR
Everybody has their personal favorites, but you probably can't go wrong with the Meindl Perfekt Hunter boots from Cabelas. I have been rotating two pairs over the last 10 years without any issues. That being said, I am in the hunt for a new pair of uninsulated boots and have been looking at the Crispis, the Kennetrek Mt. Extremes, and the Zamberlan 980's. After trying them all on so far, the Zamberlans have the best feel compared to the Meindls.

HeadnWest

WKR
You can spend a lot of money on a pair of boots, but if they don't fit your feet well, they are worthless. I would suggest you find the specs you want in a boot, like weight, full or partial rand, Goretex, height, insulated etc. then find several boots that fit all your categories. Check out the reviews on those boots, then try some on. You can either find brick and mortar stores to head to or check them out on Amazon or a lot of companies offer free returns on their products. Try as many out as you can and pick what feels best to you.

So far this year I have tried out Scarpa, LaSportiva, and Garmont brand boots. All quality boots, none of which fit my foot perfect. So I am still searching for a boot that fits my foot. I found free shipping and returns on all three so far. So not a dime came out of my pocket to try them on. Good luck in your search.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
Really it's what makes your foot happy. I've tried every brand out there damn near and fell on love with zamberlan 980 outfitter. Been unhappy with most boots. Particularly Lowa. Solid construction but they felt like shit on my feet. Try on what you can and see what your feet like.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JDZ

WKR
First, it doesn't matter what anybody's opinion is, the boots that fit your feet will be better than any top end bout that doesn't fit your feet.

Second, if a $160 pair of Rocky boots works for you and you don't need a stiff mountaineering boot, you don't need a bunch of gear junkies suggesting $400-600 boots to you.

Kotaman

WKR
Boots are all about YOUR feet. In my quest for the perfect mountain boot, I tested over 20 pair and the results were always the same. Lowas fit my foot like they are custom made for me. The Lowa Bighorn in particular is my "go to" mountain boot. Finding the right boot can only be done by trying as many as you possibly can. And most times walking around the living room doesn't cut it. While trying boots at home is a great starting point and can eliminate some options, you really won't know what works until you hit the hills.

OP
H

honkerdwn

FNG
Thanks for all the input fellas. You all have a very valid points as to what my feet like best. Guess its just going to take some time and head to those stores and try as many as I can on and get a feel for them.

thanks,
HD

Whites Outdoorsman with the Claw lug sole is a great boot. They will show you how to trace your foot and you send them the tracing and they will build a boot to fit your feet. I purchased a pair last fall and really like them. I went with the non-insulated ones as my feet are always warm and even in snow they were fine.

https://www.whitesboots.com/#/product/2382

Only problem with the try them on and return them idea is that does not give a chance for the boots to break in. I love my Kenetrek mountain extremes but did not before the 50 mile break in time. I agree with everyone that boots are different for everone and i dont know how to account for the break in. It would suck to be stuck with an expensive pair of boots that dont fit good. Im glad i stuck with my Kenetreks.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted going to be feet that make the decision. Being one with bad ankles can recommend the crispi nevadas. Great support for a lower cut boot, comfortable out of the box for most and waterproof. The Kennetrek mt extreme a very stiff boot poses problems for some but no issues out of the box for myself. I don’t find the ankle support in the Kennetrek that I do in the Nevada. Both boots handle long days in bad terrain well and you will recommendations on all high end boots but go with what you find fits your feet and use reviews as guides👍

HeadnWest

WKR
Only problem with the try them on and return them idea is that does not give a chance for the boots to break in. I love my Kenetrek mountain extremes but did not before the 50 mile break in time. I agree with everyone that boots are different for everone and i dont know how to account for the break in. It would suck to be stuck with an expensive pair of boots that dont fit good. Im glad i stuck with my Kenetreks.

While I agree with you that boots take time to break in, I can tell right away if a boot is too narrow / low volume for my foot. In the case of the Scarpa Revolution I tried on, I really wanted to love the boot but just too narrow for my foot. Same with the Garmont Tower Trek, just too low volume for me. When I tried the Trango Cubes on, I could not even keep them on my feet for 20 minutes with out my left heel hurting bad. Those all went straight back without a break in period. I just knew right away they weren't going to fit. I think I finally found a pair that I like, The Salewa Rapace. Going to keep those and run them through a break in period.

Some of this you’ll have to figure out on your own, and some you can learn from others.

Boot features are a big driving factor in what you should look at, as is the price you are willing to spend. I have no problem dropping up to $400 in boots, but if you do then work within those parameters.

Do you want/need a rand? Do you need a full length insert/last? How thick? All leather?

I don’t like super stiff boots, even in steep and rocky stuff, which I spend a lot of time in. I am trying a pair of boots this year that don’t have a rand. I don’t know how they will hold up, guess we’ll find out.

I tend to look for a boot with a full length insert that is 4-5mm thick. If I was doing a lot of backpacking and hunting in the shale I might go thicker.

I wear uninsulated boots year round. If it’s well below zero I would want something with insulation, but not a ton.

I prefer all leather and as few seams as possible. I just find they last longer. The downside is they are a little heavier.

Edit: I’ve worn a number of Lowa styles, including Banff, Baffin, and Sheep Hunters, Crispi Idaho, Zamberlan Vioz (current pair).

I think something like the Schnees Timberlines, Zamberlan Guide, or Crispi Nevada would warrant a hard look. My foot type does not work with Kennetrek or Meindl at all, so I can’t speak to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
There are alot of good boot makers at this point. One thing I found is some of the better ones seem more consistant from boot model to boot model in fit. This has saved me a lot of hassle.
Two brands that just flat out work well for me pretty much across their whole line up is Zamberlan and Crispi. I can pretty much grab any of them in a size 10 and wear them comfortably.