Socks?

Stagg412

FNG
I'm a PA whitetail hunter who lives in a tree from Sept-Jan, but I'll be heading out West for the first time this fall. I was figuring on just wearing light wool socks, but I've seen a lot of specialized socks when I'm browsing higher end hunting clothing companies.

Are specialized socks more hype and a nice-to-have, or do they really make that much of a difference? We plan on putting on the miles in SW MT, so I'm taking painstaking care in my boot selection and sizing all the while considering what will work for my week out West AND at least a few seasons back here in PA. The last thing I want is to be hampered by raw heels.

BRWNBR

WKR
I run a merino liner sock then a heavy wool sock over it. I have one pair of the kuiu socks and wow they are comfortable but not as thick as I like.

DavePwns

WKR
I use darn tough socks, I like the medium thickness one for warmer hunts, for a colder hunt I'll get the increased cushion darn tough socks with a liner especially if I'm doing high mileage, they have a lifetime warranty. I like them so far so I haven't tried any other brands

I wear liner socks and love my medium weight Gore socks. In my opinion the best investment is your feet. Good sock system and good boots. Invest in the best you can. You will be glad you did.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the gore socks and they were comfortable but did not last bought in September and holes in both pairs by January. I just purchased some lorpen socks from black ovis and camofire and I like the T2W ones better but not sure on longevity. My next try will be farm to feet Damascus if these don’t pan out. Good luck in your quest

AdamRappe

FNG
I wear darn tough socks on every hunt. I highly reccommend them. They also have a fantastic warranty. Atleast look into them! Side note, I hope you enjoy it here (the west)!

HeadnWest

WKR
Darn tough for me as well.

You are most likey going to be looking at socks with a blend of merino and synthetic materials. I would opt for the blends with higher levels of merino wool. Like a 60-40 or a 70-30 blend. Anything higher you are going to be sacrificing durability and anything lower you will be sacrificing performance from the merino.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ditched cotton and use the below.

Coscto Merino Blend socks (Daily Wear)
Darn Tough (In boots, so many variants though I get frustrated at myself when I find a deal and then find out it is not the same sock I had) :)
Also use some of the shorter Darn Tough socks for running
First Lite (in boots, the thick ones are my go to cold weather sock)
Gore Socks (when breath-ability matters I really like these)

Last edited:
Two pairs layered of the COSTCO Merino blend socks for backpacking for me. I wear a single pair for daily use, and kick it up to two pair for packing. This works very well for my feet and boot combos. I do wash them hot and dry them in the dryer to keep them fitting snuggly. Four pair for $14 here in Canada.

Agross

WKR
My top three in no particular order would have to be

Darn tough, expensive but great socks with a great warranty
Lorpen, got the lighter ones and the midweight off camofire and really like them
Gore, most comfortable socks I've ever worn

Murdy

WKR
I love sock liners; my hunting partner hates them. May be a bit of subjectivity involved. Try some out before you head out for your hunt.

I recently started buying Farm to Feet brand, and really like them.

Trial153

WKR
Here are the brands I currently own:
Darn Tuff
Filson
Smart wool
Gore
Farm to Feet
wool power
icebreaker

I like farm to feet the best, followed by gore.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm a PA whitetail hunter who lives in a tree from Sept-Jan, but I'll be heading out West for the first time this fall. I was figuring on just wearing light wool socks, but I've seen a lot of specialized socks when I'm browsing higher end hunting clothing companies.

Are specialized socks more hype and a nice-to-have, or do they really make that much of a difference? We plan on putting on the miles in SW MT, so I'm taking painstaking care in my boot selection and sizing all the while considering what will work for my week out West AND at least a few seasons back here in PA. The last thing I want is to be hampered by raw heels.

Go with the Gore socks, they are hands down the best sock to ever wear. I'm sure you could ask others who have tried them and they will say the same thing. They are a merino blend and wick moisture away from the foot. That is the only sock I will ever wear hunting no matter what. I got 2 pairs a few years back testing them out.. I ended up getting 10 more because they are so amazing. I promise you for an elk hunt or any type of hunt these are the socks you'll want to have. They go off shoe size, so I wear a 10.5 and in the sock I am a large.

Last edited:
Gore socks beat out darn tough for me. For whatever reason my feet stay drier and warmer/cooler than darn tough and I’ve never had a blister issue with gore. First lite for me just don’t fit since I’m a 13-14 and they only make 2 sizes. Lorpen Merino light hikers are close behind gore and darn tough. In all reality I think any of those 3 will perform well. Bridgedale has done pretty well for me as well and also didn’t get as saturated as darn tough.

Has anyone ran the kenetrek socks? Thinking of using the liner sock and the midweight Canada sock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3-4 pair of good socks is going to be cheap compared to high quality boots and worth the price. $15-25 a pair.

I like darn tough. I used smart wool for a while and thorlos over the years. Trekking or hiking cushion. I have used a poly pro liner too. Play with combos to find what works. Pack some Lueco tape and mole skin.